Upgrading Forum

Admin

This weekend I will be trying to upgrade the forum. There will likely be bugs at first.

So far, I actually already tried to upgrade. Didn't work due to a server issue, so I uploaded a backup set of files.

Hopefully I can have everything running smoothly by Monday so people can sufficiently avoid work.

To provide an update, the forum is not upgraded yet.

Long story short, the server Billikens.com is on had PHP version 5.4.5 until tonight. The new forum software needed 5.5 or higher. My web host upgraded the PHP version tonight. Instead of trying to install new forum software at 12:30 on a Sunday night. I decided to restore the old forum software at least until Monday night. I may try to install the new software then.

In doing the restore, I am going to bet some file permissions are not right. With this, the forum may be a little buggy this week. My apologies for this.

To provide an update, the forum is not upgraded yet.

Long story short, the server Billikens.com is on had PHP version 5.4.5 until tonight. The new forum software needed 5.5 or higher. My web host upgraded the PHP version tonight. Instead of trying to install new forum software at 12:30 on a Sunday night. I decided to restore the old forum software at least until Monday night. I may try to install the new software then.

In doing the restore, I am going to bet some file permissions are not right. With this, the forum may be a little buggy this week. My apologies for this.

Steve, thanks for all your work on billikens.com. I really appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Is there a setting that I need to update to go to the latest unread post of a thread? 

I believe that for all posts posted since the new forum was installed, you should be able to use this feature as you have in the past (clicking the star to the left of the thread title.)  If this is not the case for you, let me know.

I, however, suspect that information regarding latest unread post did not carry over from the old forum to the new forum.  So for example if you were reading a thread yesterday and want to continue reading today, the forum will not know which post is new to you. Apologies that this data was lost (but I think better to be lost in June than November).

Hello Steve, I get nothing in the front page where the list of active topics used to be. All I see now is the video of Chris May doing his think (old video). To get to the topics I have to go to the message board and look for the current ones. Is this the way it is supposed to be or am I missing something? Thanks

39 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hello Steve, I get nothing in the front page where the list of active topics used to be. All I see now is the video of Chris May doing his think (old video). To get to the topics I have to go to the message board and look for the current ones. Is this the way it is supposed to be or am I missing something? Thanks

You are not missing anything unfortunately.  At the moment, I do not know how to get a list of topics on the front page with the new forum software.  The script that I was using was written in 2007 (!).

I have looked a little for a solution for this, but have not found an immediate solution. Before I get into coding, I want to make sure the new forum works without too many glitches.  I have family coming into town at the end of the week, so I likely will not address this for at least a week.  I promise that this feature will return, I like it very much.

8 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I promise that this feature will return, I like it very much.

Straight ball, I hit it very much.  Hay-Zeus, I like him very much.  Homepage feature, I like it very much.

Steve, could you use this as an opportunity to take down last season's records from the front page and put up the future schedule that is partially known? No reason to be looking back at this point.

44 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Steve, could you use this as an opportunity to take down last season's records from the front page and put up the future schedule that is partially known? No reason to be looking back at this point.

We played a season last year?  I erased it from my memory.  

16 hours ago, kshoe said:

Done.  If there are games I missed, let me know in the schedule thread.

On 6/7/2016 at 3:40 PM, SluSignGuy said:

I believe that for all posts posted since the new forum was installed, you should be able to use this feature as you have in the past (clicking the star to the left of the thread title.)  If this is not the case for you, let me know.

I, however, suspect that information regarding latest unread post did not carry over from the old forum to the new forum.  So for example if you were reading a thread yesterday and want to continue reading today, the forum will not know which post is new to you. Apologies that this data was lost (but I think better to be lost in June than November).

Steve, I'm still having trouble with getting to the last unread post in a given thread. It either takes me to the first post of the thread or the first post on whatever page I click on. It used to be that it automatically knew where I left off and went right to that post. Is there a one time setting that I need to adjust to get that back?

43 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Steve, I'm still having trouble with getting to the last unread post in a given thread. It either takes me to the first post of the thread or the first post on whatever page I click on. It used to be that it automatically knew where I left off and went right to that post. Is there a one time setting that I need to adjust to get that back?

I do not believe there is a setting you need to change.  Are you clicking the thread title or the little star or circle to the left of the thread title?  You want to click the star or the circle.

24 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I do not believe there is a setting you need to change.  Are you clicking the thread title or the little star or circle to the left of the thread title?  You want to click the star or the circle.

-this feature works for me on Chrome

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

+1. I'm on safari on iOS and it's somewhat tough. It used to be just clicking the thread would take me to my last unread post, but it's only working sometimes and I can't get to the last post if I've already read it without going through the whole thread.