Schedule: 2016-2017

I suggest we all get over the "Ford is an awful X and O coach." Who, other than MBMs from the OSU boards, have claimed that? I have never read any reputable BB minds stating that. I would think a guy who grew up as a coach's son would have quite a bit of knowledge about how to coach a game. We KNOW that Crews couldn't coach-didn't even have an inbounds play, but what do we really KNOW about Ford's coaching knowledge?

Let's cut this cr@p that he is a poor game coach, until we see it for ourselves , and I'm not suggesting that we will. I don't understand why some on this Board, whose BB knowledge is limited to watching the game from the stands, and having played a few years in our younger days, feel like they are in a position to judge his abilities before we even see him coach.

Calm down. I was only trying to point out that Crews was suppose to be good at X and Os and wasn't so even if Ford is SUPPOSE to be weak in that area it is not the end of the of the world, Read for meaning not one word at a time.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks the reality of it all is that there is a lot of misinformation passing for real information in the media, in the blogs, etc. The reports of Crews being good at X and Os may have referred to another era or may have been something someone heard from someone else who was told by someone who really knew. The same may apply to Ford. We will not be able to grasp how good a coach Ford really is until we have seen him in action during a season.

I suggest we all get over the "Ford is an awful X and O coach." Who, other than MBMs from the OSU boards, have claimed that? I have never read any reputable BB minds stating that. I would think a guy who grew up as a coach's son would have quite a bit of knowledge about how to coach a game. We KNOW that Crews couldn't coach-didn't even have an inbounds play, but what do we really KNOW about Ford's coaching knowledge?

Let's cut this cr@p that he is a poor game coach, until we see it for ourselves , and I'm not suggesting that we will. I don't understand why some on this Board, whose BB knowledge is limited to watching the game from the stands, and having played a few years in our younger days, feel like they are in a position to judge his abilities before we even see him coach.

Ask any fan of Big 12 basketball what they think of Travis Ford. It's not like this is his first head coaching gig. He has a track record at Oklahoma State that showed him to be deficient as an in game coach and putting a sound team on the court. That can certainly change and maybe playing in a lower tier league will help, but lets not pretend these accusations are unfounded.

The sun came up today (not really ---- gonna be a real "mudder" at Pimlico today). The birds are singing. CrewSplatt is no longer associated with SLU. Smoke being blown up my skirt. All in all, not a thing to worry about in Billikenland.

High or not on Ford, he needs to be judged on his next four years here (next year is a grace period).

Samford went 14-19 last year and 4-14 in the Southern Conference. They are coached by former Kentucky Wildcat forward Scott Padgett. Padgett was a starter on the 1997-98 team that beat up on the Larry Hughes led Bills in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

Samford = D+..........The Bills finished at C- for the year. Samford would have been one of the few teams we would have beaten in 15-16.

Btw, our C- finish this year was a nice improvement over our D- finish for 14-15. Unfortunately for Crews 42 losses in 2 years was not good enough to stay the course. If we can have the same improvement for next year ( C- to B- ) I would take it.

Samford = D+..........The Bills finished at C- for the year. Samford would have been one of the few teams we would have beaten in 15-16.

Btw, our C- finish this year was a nice improvement over our D- finish for 14-15. Unfortunately for Crews 42 losses in 2 years was not good enough to stay the course. If we can have the same improvement for next year ( C- to B- ) I would take it.

Is B- a third tier post-season tourney?

Ask any fan of Big 12 basketball what they think of Travis Ford. It's not like this is his first head coaching gig. He has a track record at Oklahoma State that showed him to be deficient as an in game coach and putting a sound team on the court. That can certainly change and maybe playing in a lower tier league will help, but lets not pretend these accusations are unfounded.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some analysis of Ford's non-conference schedules from 2015-16 at OSU going back through his UMass days to his final year at EKU 2004-05.

Here are some findings:

-Ford has played 2 exhibition games more often than 1 (I'm assuming only 1 exhibition means a closed door scrimmage). However, 3 out of the last 4 seasons, his teams only played 1 exhibition game. My guess would be that we will continue the trend SLU has seen with 1 exhibition and 1 scrimmage (if anyone cares).

-The exhibition games seem to be typically against local schools (OK Panhandle, OK Baptist), but he did play Cambpellsville (his first coaching gig in KY) a couple of times in exhibition games. My guess for exhibition opponents would be the typical schools (UMSL, Harris Stowe, Fontebonne, Rockhurst), but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an exhibition against Campbellsville as well.

-Most common non-conf opponent was Tulsa (all while he was with OSU). I'm assuming this is just a regional rivalry game, so wouldn't expect SLU to play Tulsa, but you never know. There are lot of regional series (ex Boston College and Boston U while at UMass) and regional buy games (Central Conn St, Dartmouth vs UMass, Central Ark, UTSA, North Texas vs OSU). Therefore, I'd expect SLU to continue series such as the SIUC series and potentially add MO State (more on that later). I also wouldn't be surprise with buy games against the likes of SEMO or SIUE continuing.

-His teams played Savannah State 5 times (1 at OSU, 2 at UMass, 2 at EKU). Last time was 2009, but we've seen SLU play Savannah St before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are a semi-regular on the schedule as buy game.

-OSU played MO State 4 times (10, 11, 12, & 15). Resuming the series with MO State seems probable sooner or later.

-OSU played Arkansas Pine-Bluff 4 times (09, 11, 13, 15). Again, we've seen them on the SLU schedule in the past and this is a probable buy game opponent.

-OSU played Virginia Tech 4 times (10, twice in 11, and 12), but two of those games were in early season tournaments, so I don't think that is predictive. I was looking for other major conference opponents that were regulars on his schedule, but I don't see any. Most seem to be just a 2 game series. Maybe we can get some Big 12 opponents given Ford's history there.

TLDR - Again, I'd expect a similar schedule to what we've seen in the past.

-The exhibition games seem to be typically against local schools (OK Panhandle, OK Baptist), but he did play Cambpellsville (his first coaching gig in KY) a couple of times in exhibition games. My guess for exhibition opponents would be the typical schools (UMSL, Harris Stowe, Fontebonne, Rockhurst), but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an exhibition against Campbellsville as well.

Play Webster!

kshoe requested I update the front page schedule with known games.

From this thread, I have:

@ Wichita St.

@Indiana State

Samford

Kansas St. Dec 3rd.

Anything else we know of?

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Saint Louis is the 4th team in 2017 Men Who Speak Up Main Event in Las Vegas, source told @CBSSports. BYU, VALPO, and Alabama also in field.

Correction: This might be for the 2017-2018 season

Its for next season.

Men Who Speak Up Main Event

Campus Sites: TBA
Las Vegas: Nov. 21, 23

Teams (4+4)

Heavyweight Bracket (Hosts)
Alabama Crimson Tide (SEC) (BD Global Sports on YouTube)
BYU Cougars (WCC)
Valparaiso Crusaders (Horizon)
1 TBA (Minnesota has reportedly withdrawn.)

Middleweight Bracket (Visitors)