Twitter: Dayton's Steve McElvene Passes Away

Wow! That is terrible news. He was a SLU recruiting target at one point.

He sure was. We offered, too.

He was a really nice player as a freshman. Had more blocks than SLU's whole team for much of this season. He would've been a major contributor for them next season, too, and had a chance to be the best post player in the A10 eventually.

Really sad stuff. I feel bad for his family and that program.

seems like ncaa might want to a more intense look at the tickers of their athletes, seems like lot of these things have happened over the years.

I thought schools (and the NCAA) were doing just that after the Hank Gathers tragedy over 25 years ago. In fact, didn't SLU have a juco recruit who never played or played only one of his seasons of eligibility at SLU because of similar health concerns: Rashid Malik?

This whole issue is pretty complicated because it involves liability, a good amount of it. The Drs may be over cautious in giving the OK for play if there is a potential heart condition that may cause death. So, the player with some kind of heart condition may just shut up and not complain of anything in order to play. Something happened in this case that caused this man's condition to go undetected in time to treat it appropriately.

Young healthy athletes do not develop severe cardiomegaly and drop dead all of a sudden.

When you have advanced heart disease, it may drop you on the spot even when you are doing nothing. Once you go into ventricular fibrillation, from whatever cause, you generally do not have much of a future. The real question here is did he really die due to advanced heart disease (with or without arrhythmia) or due to other causes? The autopsy will determine that. I agree a tweet from somebody does not fix the cause of death.

So sorry for the family, friends and teammates. I never know the right words for someone so young with his whole life ahead of him.

I wish Mr. McElvene's family the best and strength in this tough time.