Did Brett Jolly just say goodbye?

ARon

Willie Reed is not a fool.

He was screwed over by SLU administration as a result of "the Situation", and he also couldn't cut it, academically. Is everybody that flunks out of SLU a fool?

Willie Reed has demonstrated an admirable work ethic; toiling several years in the minor leagues to finally make it to the NBA. By all accounts, he's a very hard worker, and a devoted family man. I, for one, hold him in very high regard as one of my top-10 favorite Billikens of all time.

By the way, Willie's annual salary right now is about 10 times more than 75% of the people that post here- not bad for a fool.

It's completely foolish to call Willie Reed a fool

any updates on his latest "situation"?

I agree to some degree but he makes some dumb decisions. Also the man needs to stop buying expensive ass cars. He doesn't make that much. And it won't last.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Combine zero talent and horrible disposition and you get Jolly. The only worse Billikens we have had were the criminals like Jorge Wallace. No Billiken has ever combined these two extreme traits. That's what makes Jolly so unlikable. The few players who were less talented players carried themselves better and represented the program well, the guys who were just as big of ###### were much more talented than Jolly.

Poor performance guys like Justin Johnson and John Manning and especially off-court prima donnas like McBroom also got massive ###### on here, and continue to get massive ###### years after they left. This idea that everyone is somehow unfairly singling Jolly out to make fun of or rip on is pretty bizarre.

One thing I always wonder about Jolly is how he ended up not playing some football. He attended the football factory at Southlake Carroll. His size and frame would have made a nice target as a tight end. I wonder if he just got directed into basketball exclusively at a young age because of his height. I actually think for his size Jolly is a pretty decent athlete. He just wasn't a good D1 basketball player.

I wish someone would put together a Jolly tribute video. Maybe with Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" playing softly in the background.

That's a perfect choice, since my main association with that song is her campaign to stop animal abuse. Substitute out photos of abused dogs and cats for clips of Jolly bricking fadeaway jumpers and being smacked by Crews. It's seamless.

The worst recruit in my time is Horace Dixon. Signed by Sodie in July (usually not a good sign)... reportedly had no other D1 offers and had all kinds of academic red flags. He couldn't last more than one semester before flunking out. He had more turnovers than points in his very brief career. Obi was also on that team. Obi got suspended and also had had academic problems, plus had an eating addiction... other than that, he was great.

The worst recruit in my time is Horace Dixon. Signed by Sodie in July (usually not a good sign)... reportedly had no other D1 offers and had all kinds of academic red flags. He couldn't last more than one semester before flunking out. He had more turnovers than points in his very brief career. Obi was also on that team. Obi got suspended and also had had academic problems, plus had an eating addiction... other than that, he was great.

Horace Dixon holds the Billiken record for FG %. He was 1 for 1 in his career, for a sterling, and never to be topped 100%. He recorded 2 points and collected 2 rebounds in his 3 game career.

He was screwed over by SLU administration as a result of "the Situation", and he also couldn't cut it, academically. Is everybody that flunks out of SLU a fool?

Willie Reed has demonstrated an admirable work ethic; toiling several years in the minor leagues to finally make it to the NBA. By all accounts, he's a very hard worker, and a devoted family man. I, for one, hold him in very high regard as one of my top-10 favorite Billikens of all time.

By the way, Willie's annual salary right now is about 10 times more than 75% of the people that post here- not bad for a fool.

Willie is not a fool. He just didn't like the academic side of things. I wished we'd him back when Kwamain returned. That team probably represented our best chance ever at a sweet 16, elite 8, or, dare I say it, a final 4. I think his lack of desire to do what was necessary to be on that team just ticked off a lot of us.

Horace Dixon holds the Billiken record for FG %. He was 1 for 1 in his career, for a sterling, and never to be topped 100%. He recorded 2 points and collected 2 rebounds in his 3 game career.

Check the stats again (I don't feel like it). It's impossible to go 1 of 1 from the FT line and score two career points.

The ceiling could not hold HoDix; the floors could not hold Obise.

Check the stats again (I don't feel like it). It's impossible to go 1 of 1 from the FT line and score two career points.

Unless they recently changed the rules, a FG is worth 2 or 3 points. Horace didn't chuck it up outside the arc. Hence 2 points.

[FT are Free Throws, FG are Field Goals. Not enough coffee this morning?]

Mostly referring to his attack on the Nets interim coach, which may cut short his NBA career. That is real foolishness, and he knows it. Thats why he deleted that nonsense. It was supremely dumb. Williw Reed would probably agree with that assessment more than you would.

I loved Reed while he was here. The guy has great, great talent. He plays hard. He makes rash, foolish decisions that have hurt him. The possibility of literally dropping millions if the Nets decide to end his career is why i made that statement. If you base your assessment on some school nonsense, you need to take a step back.

The vast majority of us would never have the opportunities he has had or will have. Foolishness has nothing to do with it.

Players I have paid to see, with less than distinguished Billiken careers:

Barentine 2 ppg / 2.1 rpg

Bickel 1.5 / 1.7

Caswell 2.1 / 2.8

Gaona 1.5 / 0.7

Ikeafor 1.4 / 0.8

Ivestor 2.6 / 1.9

Jolly 1.8 / 1.0

M. Jones 2.4 / 0.7

Seyfert 0.6 / 1.3

Shabazz 1.0 / 1.1

Tadysak 1.0 / 2.0

Varner 2.6 / 2.2

I remember when Barentine signed, one of his attributes was that he won the 400 M Hurdles in Texas. OK, didn't do him much good in STL on the court.

Barentine was a backup center on his juco team. Spoon's primary target fell through and he had no back up plan.

I think Willie is a fool and if god would have blessed me with his height and athleticism I would have a degree and a NBA career. When Willie is 40 and athleticism is spent and cannot play basketball then what? Do you think Willie will have saved money and made wise investments to live off of. I will bet that the 75 percent of the posters you tried to insult will be making more money at age 40 than Willie.

Mostly referring to his attack on the Nets interim coach, which may cut short his NBA career. That is real foolishness, and he knows it. Thats why he deleted that nonsense. It was supremely dumb. Williw Reed would probably agree with that assessment more than you would.

I loved Reed while he was here. The guy has great, great talent. He plays hard. He makes rash, foolish decisions that have hurt him. The possibility of literally dropping millions if the Nets decide to end his career is why i made that statement. If you base your assessment on some school nonsense, you need to take a step back.

The vast majority of us would never have the opportunities he has had or will have. Foolishness has nothing to do with it.

Agree with all this. It's disappointing, since he is our only real shot at having anybody in the NBA for the foreseeable future. On the other hand, the point of the Instagram rant seemed to be to defend/kiss up to Lionel Hollins, who for reasons I don't quite understand evidently may wind up back in Memphis:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/grizzlies/griz-considering-reunion-with-coach-lionel-hollins-3270281f-e281-0615-e053-0100007fd7cf-378738841.html

Take offense or not. Rip me personally if that will make you feel better. But I can honestly say that I was embarrassed to be a Billiken fan and a member of this Board with all of the "over the top" comments made against Brett Jolly. The immature, and flat out rude, comments came long before Jolly did anything good or bad on the court. Instead, the wash basin comments came long before he even announced he was coming to the Bills. After his Senior year and we did not sign him thinking he would go elsewhere, the negative comments came over and over on this Board. Then, some (but not all) may have felt bad after Jolly accepted a scholarship during his year of prep school. Some gave him a fresh start but most did not. Initially, he did some good things and appeared ahead of Gillmann especially on defense.and several wanted to take back their negative comments. Then, over time, the flaws in Jolly's game became obvious and apparent and the insults resumed heavily. Then, after he showed emotion on the floor at officials (at least he showed emotion as opposed to quitting like others did), the insults came fast and furious and his emotion was that of being a whiner and bad kid. Frustration for the bad season, bad coaching, bad players and the fall from being a Top 10 program to a Top 280 program seemed to fall upon Brett. For Jolly's sake, I am glad he gets a fresh start elsewhere.

Was Jolly worse than Manning? Worse than the 7 footer that RM ran off and went to Lindenwood? Worse than Bryce Husak? Worse than Justin Johnson? Worse than Sekue Barentine? Worse than Eric Jones? Worse than Travis Tadisak or Mike Ivester? Worse than Tyrone Caswell? Worse than Reddit Hudson or Dale Renkin? Please. We have had alot of bad players over the years. Some kids work out and others don't. But the blame belongs on Crews and Platt as opposed to Jolly. I can sure say that no received the wrath that Brett Jolly did.

Well said. Am I sad that Jolly is leaving? - No. Did he deserve the crap he is getting from this board? - Definitely no.

Unless they recently changed the rules, a FG is worth 2 or 3 points. Horace didn't chuck it up outside the arc. Hence 2 points.

[FT are Free Throws, FG are Field Goals. Not enough coffee this morning?]

Sorry. I had a huge brain cramp and misread that. Somehow I saw FG% as FT% and didn't correct myself.