Welcome, Adonys Henriquez

I think Foreman was also an excellent addition, but appeared to be an inevitable with the hiring of Macon, but this recruiting victory is VERY impressive. There was a lot of competition. Pleasantly surprised that we won it so quickly. Henriquez had just come from visiting both of TCU and Pitt and had a visit planned to Utah before committing to us. Dixon has already made a recruiting splash at TCU and nice to beat Stallings.

Ford seems to have strong connections in Florida. Not sure if this was all him or one of the assistants played a role. Ford also had a history of recruiting players from Louisiana while at Oklahoma State, so that may have opened some doors in landing JJ. And Foreman was obviously the result of the East coast recruiting strategy. Early on Ford is showing that he can cast a pretty wide net. Ford may be able to open some doors in the south while the assistants work big cities from the East Coast to Chicago. So far, very promising. Let's not stop now, let's get Bess for fun.

Many of Ford's connections throughout the south are through his dad. Eddie Ford is huge in AAU basketball. He runs the oldest and one of the biggest AAU tournaments.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ash was pretty talented... certainly not a superstar good enough to elevate a team by himself, but would have fit in very nicely on the teams with DE, Jordair & co.

Henriquez has produced a lot more in his first two years than Ash did, who played sparingly. Even then, Ash increased his numbers after transferring to SLU. Look at some of the Henriquez videos, including the 22-point game as a freshman at SMU. It's ok to allow yourself to get a little excited.

No one or two players is going to be able to do it by themselves. It will take putting together a collection of good players, as we saw during the RM years, to get it done. Henriquez certainly seems like he can be a big part of it, if surrounded by other quality players. Last week Lisch and Liddell were described as "Billiken legends" (IMO, a stretch in the case of Liddell). Even those two guys played in zero postseason games, because the rest of the roster was subpar. It takes a deep talented roster to get there. Ford seems to be moving in the right direction.

Good points. I just always expected ash to be be better than he was. Couldn't shoot. (I'm going off the eye test so feel free to tell me I'm talking out of my ass).

The Ash hype was mainly derived from folks who had watched him in practice while he was red-shirting. I believe someone even said he was the best player on the floor, practicing with JJ, DE, etc. as seniors. The hype was overflowing. At least with Henriquez (and Foreman) we have some more college production to look at. I'm sure around this time next year people will be raving about them in a similar fashion.

I'm going to attribute Ash's less than expected greatness to some very poor coaching and a very young not very good supporting cast. I don't think Ash was ever expected to be the legend, but will agree had he played with the "self coached" 5 of Jett, Evans, Mitchell, Loe, and Barnett he would have delivered more. In fact, Jake probably would have been the 6th man not a starter.

Ash had some good games here but playing in the Crews helter skelter offenses he was doomed.

I'm going to attribute Ash's less than expected greatness to some very poor coaching and a very young not very good supporting cast. I don't think Ash was ever expected to be the legend, but will agree had he played with the "self coached" 5 of Jett, Evans, Mitchell, Loe, and Barnett he would have delivered more. In fact, Jake probably would have been the 6th man not a starter.

Ash had some good games here but playing in the Crews helter skelter offenses he was doomed.

Assume you mean McCall rather than Mitchell. Otherwise, agreed, Ash seems like he would've been much more effective as a 4th/5th scoring option rather than a 1st or 2nd like he was his entire time here. He usually drew other teams' best defenders.

The Ash hype was mainly derived from folks who had watched him in practice while he was red-shirting. I believe someone even said he was the best player on the floor, practicing with JJ, DE, etc. as seniors. The hype was overflowing. At least with Henriquez (and Foreman) we have some more college production to look at. I'm sure around this time next year people will be raving about them in a similar fashion.

I was personally told that by the Associate AD. When he told me I looked a bit leery at him but he was serious. I think Ash was a decent player - he just wasn't the guy to carry a team all year on his shoulders - not many are and as others pointed out the supporting cast was pretty weak.

Assume you mean McCall rather than Mitchell. Otherwise, agreed, Ash seems like he would've been much more effective as a 4th/5th scoring option rather than a 1st or 2nd like he was his entire time here. He usually drew other teams' best defenders.

Yep, I meant Junya!

10000% correct.

Ash never had a chance here to be the best he could be. I think his talents were misused here and he is 1st real victim of the Crews era. Not only could JC not develop him, he did not do so for any of the other players. It will be interesting how Coach Ford works with MC and RA to put them on a real trajectory.