Wichita St. Considering Move

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/report-wichita-state-approaches-mountain-west/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

For those that think that the Missouri Valley is a destination for the Bills, probably not many on this board, please consider that Wichita State may move to the Mountain West. I mention this, because if Wichita State considers the Mountain West to be a step up, then clearly going to the MO Valley would be a big step down for us.

Actually, if Wichita State joins the Mountain West, the Mountain West would be rather comparable to the A-10. It would be like having an A-10 on the west coast.

Missouri valley was different conference when this discussion was a thing. SIU was good, creighton and wichita were members.

Only advantage would be having conference tourneys at home every year. That is tempting, but as much with the a10 finally ditching the joke new york tourney.

But this is seriously dead. The missouri valley is bad. Maybe the MO valley should take in SIUE or SEMO.

Good move for WSU. Should also take them out of the Beast discussion.

Would move Dallas Baptist into full Valley membership as they would be the flagship baseball program when WSU departs.

Here's a more detailed article on the possibility.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-may-bring-back-football

It's interesting that the MWC and even the horrible CUSA don't seem to really want them. The MWC is because they don't want to share tv revenues and CUSA doesn't want a basketball only program. I don't know the numbers on the MWC tv deal but it sure seems short-sighted to me to say no to a program as strong as WSU that should be a major asset come the next time they want to negotiate a contract.

Exactly. No way the MWC takes them even if they add football, Which is highly doubtful. This is about as realistic as the "Gonzaga to the Big East" chatter

WSU football is a touchy subject.

Here's a more detailed article on the possibility.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-may-bring-back-football

It's interesting that the MWC and even the horrible CUSA don't seem to really want them. The MWC is because they don't want to share tv revenues and CUSA doesn't want a basketball only program. I don't know the numbers on the MWC tv deal but it sure seems short-sighted to me to say no to a program as strong as WSU that should be a major asset come the next time they want to negotiate a contract.

That article makes the move seem very unlikely. I wonder if Wichita State floating this to let other conferences, like the Beast, know that they are available and considering a move.

That article makes the move seem very unlikely. I wonder if Wichita State floating this to let other conferences, like the Beast, know that they are available and considering a move.

Maybe. But I also seem to remember that the MVC had a very communistic way of splitting all NCAA tourney revenue whereas other conferences are more "eat what you kill" including the a-10 where 75% goes to the team that earned the credits. Maybe this is a negotiating ploy to get that formula adjusted so they can keep more of the money they earn.

Maybe. But I also seem to remember that the MVC had a very communistic way of splitting all NCAA tourney revenue whereas other conferences are more "eat what you kill" including the a-10 where 75% goes to the team that earned the credits. Maybe this is a negotiating ploy to get that formula adjusted so they can keep more of the money they earn.

I'd think this is it. After the MVC downgraded from Creighton to Loyola, there may be a huge power void to exploit there.

The Beast knows all the teams that would likely to want to be in that conference. You don't need to send signals.

Don`t most Valley teams have football? Something like the Gateway Conference ? FBS or FCS ( whatever it is called now, Div !-AA)

Doesn`t many of the A-10 playing football teams play the same level, in the Pioneer ? Dayton, Richmond, Rhode Island?

Yeah let the A-10 go after them move to 3-5 team divisions (SLU, Dayton, Wichita State, Duquesne and St. Bonaventure? say) 8 games in division, then play the 10 teams still have 18 conference schedule

A-10................................B

Mo Valley and MWC.......B-

If Wich St ( A ) moved to MWC it would bring MWC up to B ....same as A-10.. Not really much of an improvement for WSU competition wise and a more difficult travel schedule.

WSU in the A10s not a bad idea. Have an East - West split as mentioned above. It would ease pressure on travel budgets, and WSU, as long as Marshall stays, would definitely bolster the Conf RPI.

He has to die or move on sometime. You can not make your decision based on him being there or not. I was a bit surprised to see the grading for the MWC and MO Valley being the same. I guess we really dragged the A10 down.

He has to die or move on sometime. You can not make your decision based on him being there or not. I was a bit surprised to see the grading for the MWC and MO Valley being the same. I guess we really dragged the A10 down.

They made a rather seamless transition from Turgeon to Marshall. Strong leadership, great fan support and Koch Brothers money will keep them competitive.

Interesting point. Sharing your tourney money with Drake and Bradley has to get old fast.