Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Very true but I think transferring to Belleville would allow that BBE spotlight to continue through the fall and into winter versus playing on a St. Mary's team that graduated most of the players from this past year. Unless BBE plays year round? I'm not familiar with their schedule. If not, this is why I hope he commits to SLU this summer. iI he is in fact very high on SLU.

BBE is just the AAU summer team.  The problem is if he wants to be at SLU and if Ford is going hard after him now, there would be no reason not to commit and sign in the early period before the season.  Ford can't promise to keep a scholarship open for him so if he holds out, it is most likely because he doesn't want to be at SLU anyways.  

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, how is he able to transfer without his family moving....or is that the rumor as well? I've never quite understood how kids can change public schools within a city so easily. I've always been under the impression you are zoned for a specific high school....but I, admittedly, know very little about this subject.

Count me in the camp that this could be a good thing for SLU if TheOne's sources are accurate...

16 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Just curious, how is he able to transfer without his family moving....or is that the rumor as well? I've never quite understood how kids can change public schools within a city so easily. I've always been under the impression you are zoned for a specific high school....but I, admittedly, know very little about this subject.

Count me in the camp that this could be a good thing for SLU if TheOne's sources are accurate...

He's going from a private school in Missouri to a public school in Illinois.

Do people actually believe that both Liddell and Collins are going to wait until around this time next year to sign with a program?  Who was that last highly recruited local high school player who waited until the spring to sign?  They will both sign letters of intent in the fall.

11 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I know for folks living in Illinois, for transferring public schools the family would either have to move or a change of guardianship that would put the kid in a different school boundary. This happens fairly frequently as there are a number of families renting apartments and moving around more frequently and there are a number of public schools in a fairly confined area across the river. I am not sure the rules on transferring from public to private or vice versa. And I have no idea the rules in Missouri despite living in Missouri. The only reason I knew the rule in Illinois was because I kept seeing kids transferring from one public school in the Southwestern Conference to ESL for football. There are a few rumors of kids who may transfer to Belleville West, but as a public school those kids would have to move within the footprint.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

He's going from a private school in Missouri to a public school in Illinois.

Does he live in Illinois and commute to St. Mary's? I doubt a kid would be able to transfer to a public school in Illinois absent living in that footprint.

52 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I thought you could go to any public school (assuming they accept you of course) as long as you pay. 

I'm currently in the Webster school district but strongly considering paying top dollar to send my kids to St. Louis city public schools.

EDIT: Briefly looked through Webster's enrollment links and it appears that the primary residence of a potential transfer student must be located in an unaccredited school district in order to enroll in Webster schools. Looks like you must pay tuition as well. Not entirely sure if this is the only way a student outside of the district can attend Webster however. Also not sure if this is a local, county, or state thing.

56 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Won’t be surprised if we start seeing Yuri get offers from big time schools as an attempt at a package deal with Liddell. Maybe not Duke/Kentucky big... bit who knows at this point. 

ive been saying the billikens should be pushing a yuri and ej package deal for a long time. 

26 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

family does have to move and prove it.  

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I thought you could go to any public school (assuming they accept you of course) as long as you pay. 

for athletics in illinois you are supposed to be able to prove you live in the residency boundaries of your official guardian for the school district you wish to play for.  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

for athletics in illinois you are supposed to be able to prove you live in the residency boundaries of your official guardian for the school district you wish to play for.  

Gotcha, that makes sense. 

Transferring FROM a private school is usually a pretty easy task in terms of eligibility. Transferring from public to public is a bit harder, but there are tons of loopholes now based on the school's performance. 

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive been saying the billikens should be pushing a yuri and ej package deal for a long time. 

We've offered each separately and made a strong push for each. Is there some different about calling it a package deal? I'm sure the staff has talked about the benefits of playing with each other and Carteare and Jordan and Thatch, etc. in their recruiting pitches.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Do people actually believe that both Liddell and Collins are going to wait until around this time next year to sign with a program?  Who was that last highly recruited local high school player who waited until the spring to sign?  They will both sign letters of intent in the fall.

-if I'm a kid or advising a kid I would advise waiting until spring as the FBI thing is still out there and who knows when more developments happen, typically coaches move in the spring so you can observe the dance and if there is a player that is part of the attraction of a school you get a better handle on them returning

-I get the risk of injury and the slime-ball coaches that will still call after you declare you will attend Saint Louis University, but I still wait until spring

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if I'm a kid or advising a kid I would advise waiting until spring as the FBI thing is still out there and who knows when more developments happen, typically coaches move in the spring so you can observe the dance and if there is a player that is part of the attraction of a school you get a better handle on them returning

-I get the risk of injury and the slime-ball coaches that will still call after you declare you will attend Saint Louis University, but I still wait until spring

One of the reasons many recruits decide by the early signing period is to get that process out of the way before their final season of high school hoops, so that they can concentrate on that and enjoy their last go-round.

If you wait until spring, you've got your attention divided between being "courted" and trying to win a championship, plus all of the other stuff that goes with being a senior in high school.

9 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Lawrence Brazil left CBC and played for Belleville West this past season.  I believe he was originally from Illinois so that move was a little easier 

That's right. I remember watching them play Chaminade (really fun game) and asking a guy at work why that name sounded so familiar and he reminded me that he transferred from CBC. Wasn't the Doby kid back in the day from Cahokia? CBC's recruiting has impressive reach, I suppose they at least find kids in districts where CBC is a step up from their public school.