Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

Recruiting - 2019

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

Samba Kane who played for Illinois has hit the market. He is a 6-10, sit-one freshman... was a 3-star coming out of a Florida Prep School. Known as a good defender with some upside.

A sit-one big for the final scholarship is not a bad idea. 

How does Kane’s play compare to Bradford’s?  I really want Bradford however that might be asking for something that will never happen.

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

Samba Kane who played for Illinois has hit the market. He is a 6-10, sit-one freshman... was a 3-star coming out of a Florida Prep School. Known as a good defender with some upside.

looking up the guy, I just dont see how he would be any better than Diarra or Bell. Only averaged.0.5 rebounds per game(4.8 min) as a seven footer.   He seems like a Rashad Anthony 2.0 which was fine given what was going on the year we got Anthony. 

After reading the 247 article he may be better than by 2 second evaluation 

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

How does Kane’s play compare to Bradford’s?  I really want Bradford however that might be asking for something that will never happen.

quick read from a 247 article about him transferring out..." but according to junior guard Trent Frazier, Kane had started to open some eyes with his defense this summer"

also

According to Brad Underwood, Kane had been a real bright spot in offseason workouts, and there was a thought that Kane might be able to be in the rotation this season

6 hours ago, ACE said:

Why on Earth would we want Illinois' 12th man?

16 hours ago, thetorch said:

Why on Earth would we want Illinois' 12th man?

Well when he's behind guys like Deron Williams, Luther Head, James Augustine, and Dee Brown, it's understandable that he's the 12th man

dang this sounded awesome

A while back I reported that the #Billiken staff was "confident" they would be using their final scholarship this year. I now know the player they were "confident" in was an Italian player that ultimately never worked out due to having played professionally at some point.

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

A while back I reported that the #Billiken staff was "confident" they would be using their final scholarship this year. I now know the player they were "confident" in was an Italian player that ultimately never worked out due to having played professionally at some point.

Everyone on Kentucky plays professionally—get the briefcase and plane tickets to TFord ASAP!

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Bummer, this confirms the staff was not planning on "saving the scholarship."  Time is running out, but perhaps they are still exploring options.

44 minutes ago, ACE said:

Bummer, this confirms the staff was not planning on "saving the scholarship."  Time is running out, but perhaps they are still exploring options.

Have no fear @ACE

I saw on Twitter that Tyrone Bates visited this past weekend.

Does anyone know anything about him?

13 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Guessing he is the dad of Tamar bates, 2021 recruit that we have offered from Pistols list.  Unless he has another son named after him that you are talking about?

Edit:  Looks like the son goes by "Trey" for short.  Went to the dads twitter page.   

12 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Apparently a combo guard from the KC area.

20 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Guessing he is the dad of Tamar bates, 2021 recruit that we have offered from Pistols list.  Unless he has another son named after him that you are talking about?

Edit:  Looks like the son goes by "Trey" for short.  Went to the dads twitter page.   

They both play for Piper High School. Not sure of their relationship

4 minutes ago, slusam said:

They both play for Piper High School. Not sure of their relationship

Yea guessing brothers since the dad tagged both of them in the tweet. Both were here for the visit so don't know if SLU has interest in Trey or just Tamar.  I think that is just Tamar that is in the picture with Ford. 

Looks like both were at the Larry Hughes camp this weekend as well.  

As others have mentioned, we're recruiting Tamar Bates in the 2021 class. He projects as a top 150 player. His brother, Trey Bates, is a 6'1 D-2 caliber guard who already signed with Neosho County Community College.

Yep, 2021 offer. I haven't updated the 2021 offers yet this month - all other classes, both offers and interest, have been updated - but here's the bio from when he was offered:

Tamar Bates - SG, 6-4, 180 - Kansas City, KS (Piper) - AAU: KC Run GMC (Under Armour Rise) - Twitter: @tbates_11
Offers: Saint Louis, Wichita State, Missouri State, Abilene Christian.

Interest: Creighton, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, SMU, South Florida, Belmont, Loyola-Chicago, Illinois State, Drake, Bradley, Miami-Ohio, Milwaukee, Omaha, Oral Roberts, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Liberty, UMKC.

Latest News: Bates received an offer from SLU. (7/19/19)

Scouting Report: Bates is a high-volume scoring guard. He has a smooth lefty stroke with range. He has good handles, gets to the rim through traffic, is comfortable absorbing contact, and finishes with either hand. He's got long arms that he uses to his advantage at both ends. He has a steady demeanor and lets the game come to him. He led his HS team to a state championship as a sophomore.

What is the first day of school?

Is it safe to say that we have our roster now final for THIS upcoming season?   Or is Coach still trying a last minute addition?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Is it safe to say that we have our roster now final for THIS upcoming season?   Or is Coach still trying a last minute addition?

I’d say most likely final, yes. But I have a feeling the coaching crew still has their eyes out.  Just not much to work with at this point. 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

This was posted on twitter 4 days ago by a guy who was the UNews beat writer and seems fairly plugged in:

I doubt there are many good options out there, but I'd rather have an extra guy on the bench than not.

Bet they give to one of the walkons