Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Welmer has three years of eligibility left, if he so elects to use them and is physically able to do so.  He is classified as a R Sophomore, with one medical redshirt year (2015-2016) and one redshirt (2017-2018).

Good point. So it could potentially be 1-3-5-4 for the roster by class that season.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Welmer has three years of eligibility left, if he so elects to use them and is physically able to do so.  He is classified as a R Sophomore, with one medical redshirt year (2015-2016) and one redshirt (2017-2018).

Did he get a medical Redshirt? Did I miss that?

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Did he get a medical Redshirt? Did I miss that?

I think Hoosier might be jumping the gun regarding that Medical Redshirt.  I think you have to apply for that after you exhaust your eligibility, meaning after the 2019-20 season.  Until then I think he is a redshirt Jr this year (18-19) and redshirt Sr next year (19-20)

If all of that happens, we might be cheering for Dr. Welmer in 20-21, but I can't envision that happening for numerous reasons.

Malik Hall is down to Michigan State, Purdue, Texas, Oregon, and Oklahoma. No surprises. They've all been on him for quite a while, although MSU didn't officially offer until last week.

B.J. Mack is down to DePaul, Arkansas, Ole Miss, East Carolina, South Florida, Appalachian State, and James Madison. Interesting list. He just visited USF and ECU. He committed to Virginia Tech as a sophomore but decommitted. Got a SLU offer this summer.

41 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Terrence Shannon opened his recruitment back up... a week after committing to DePaul. Wouldn’t expect SLU to get involved again.

It'd be surprising, but can't rule it out 100%. I'll put him back on the board.

Edit: Reading a little more about his situation, he said that he rushed his recruitment and is now "wide open", but I'm guessing that his finalists - Florida State, Maryland, and Illinois, along with DePaul - are going to still be his leaders. He also will be taking a prep year at IMG Academy in Florida instead of Woodstock Academy in Connecticut, putting him closer to FSU.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Had a SLU offer but we didn't appear to be closely involved in the past few months. Really long, dynamic wing. Interesting list.

Auburn is definitely different culturally than the rest of the schools on that list.

13 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Any word if he will play HS ball this year?

11 hours ago, almaman said:

Not St. Marys?

9 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I believe soneone on the board said he had shoulder surgery and may not play ball this year.

He got the surgery before the end of the AAU evaluation periods in July and is expected to miss the beginning of the HS season. He should be back mid-season, although I haven't seen a target date yet. I'm sure that will come into focus after some follow-up evaluations from the doctor.

St. Mary's lost a ton of seniors last year, so he's going to have a bunch of younger, more inexperienced players around him. It'd be better for the rest of them to have YC around all season, but they're not expected to be a playoff contender like they were last season. So if his recovery is taking longer than expected, he might not have quite the same incentive to rush back out on the court and might be looking longer term, being ready to show up on a college campus at 100% in late spring/early summer. Still, the goal is to have him playing the back end of this HS season.

From my point of view it would be better for him to prioritize healing over playing next year. This will not be optimal for St. Mary's who will need him to play next season in order to prop up their team, but playing actively will be piling a lot of expectations on Yuri. If he re injures the shoulder or messes up the surgery he had, his prospects for college will be dim. On the other hand, if he does not play much this year he will not have a lot of new offers and some of the ones he has had may go stale. It is a difficult decision for a kid his age to make.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

From my point of view it would be better for him to prioritize healing over playing next year. This will not be optimal for St. Mary's who will need him to play next season in order to prop up their team, but playing actively will be piling a lot of expectations on Yuri. If he re injures the shoulder or messes up the surgery he had, his prospects for college will be dim. On the other hand, if he does not play much this year he will not have a lot of new offers and some of the ones he has had may go stale. It is a difficult decision for a kid his age to make.

I could go either way. Im sure Yuri will still think he has something to prove.