Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, EssEllYou said:

I follow THJr on twitter. I think he is going to be one of the best freshman we've had in quite some time. He plays with so much energy and confidence.  He put up nice points against EJ Liddel and his squad like it was no big deal. So excited about him.  He's a 3star recruit I think, but he is so underrated. Looks like 4star to me.

He had an interesting quote about making the two free throws for the win at the end of the game. He said he walked to the line with confidence because he shoots 100 free throws every day. I would think at that level everyone would. is that not a common thing? Does everyone on our team do that?

He needs to practice his jump shot. If he developed that he will be a star.

3 hours ago, EssEllYou said:

I follow THJr on twitter. I think he is going to be one of the best freshman we've had in quite some time. He plays with so much energy and confidence.  He put up nice points against EJ Liddel and his squad like it was no big deal. So excited about him.  He's a 3star recruit I think, but he is so underrated. Looks like 4star to me.

The fact he’s a fixture at SLU games says something...

what confuses me about hargrove is he has seemed to be stellar this high school season.   yet in the summer he was used very sparringly by the beagles.   the beagles didnt exactly win the world championship with talent last year, so why the inconsistentcy?  just curious why he didnt see more time in the summer.   probably a good thing for the billikens as he likely got the overlook because of it. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most players, including ours, put in a lot of time on their jump shot.  But the guys you see that are really good shooters have been that way since their early teens.  Their entire offensive game is built around their jump shot.  That's who Charlie Brown was before he ever graduated from high school.  Even Michael Jordan was that way and once he grew 6 inches in one year, he became unstoppable. 

But we fans are enamored with athleticism and think that the perimeter game is something that he can be tacked on after that fact.  We point to the 5% of guys who can make that transition and ignore the 95% that can't.  If you want good shooters, recruit shooters.  If you want great ballhandlers, recruit great ballhandlers.  If you want absurd feats of athleticism, be prepared to deal with many frustrating nights from the perimeter.

Steve Keller

This is exactly why I’m excited about Jimmerson. Shooters are hard to find.

Billiken fans out in St Louis are gonna love Gibson Jimerson. 6’5 commit can wake up at 6 in the morning and knock down three long jumpers before he brushes his teeth.
dennis_w likes this

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what confuses me about hargrove is he has seemed to be stellar this high school season.   yet in the summer he was used very sparringly by the beagles.   the beagles didnt exactly win the world championship with talent last year, so why the inconsistentcy?  just curious why he didnt see more time in the summer.   probably a good thing for the billikens as he likely got the overlook because of it. 

Liddell as well as top 50 2020 SF Moses Moody were playing ahead of him.

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Who was Hargrove going to start over? Liddell, Okoro, Moody?

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Imo it wasn't a question of talent in regards to his playing time.  The team was built around Liddell,  Okoro, Moses Moody, and Zion Harmon.  It was Hargrove's 1st year playing on an Elite level AAU team.  Everyone else were pretty much role players.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most players, including ours, put in a lot of time on their jump shot.  But the guys you see that are really good shooters have been that way since their early teens.  Their entire offensive game is built around their jump shot.  That's who Charlie Brown was before he ever graduated from high school.  Even Michael Jordan was that way and once he grew 6 inches in one year, he became unstoppable. 

But we fans are enamored with athleticism and think that the perimeter game is something that he can be tacked on after that fact.  We point to the 5% of guys who can make that transition and ignore the 95% that can't.  If you want good shooters, recruit shooters.  If you want great ballhandlers, recruit great ballhandlers.  If you want absurd feats of athleticism, be prepared to deal with many frustrating nights from the perimeter.

noresponse.gif

48 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:
Steve Keller

This is exactly why I’m excited about Jimmerson. Shooters are hard to find.

Billiken fans out in St Louis are gonna love Gibson Jimerson. 6’5 commit can wake up at 6 in the morning and knock down three long jumpers before he brushes his teeth.

I'm trying to temper my excitement, but we haven't had a true sniper since Clagett and Highmark. Lisch at times but not consistently. 

Not sure if this has been posted, but on Feb 1, there was a report that Welmer is retiring following the season.  Look, it doesn't name sources, and I'm not sure of the credibility of this account.  But they even have a write up about it.

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.php?id=6582

I don't think any of us expected him to play again; but if true, this can close the book on his scholarship for next year at least.

I want whats best for Elliott's health long-term.  But I would love to see him be able to take the court on Senior Night for one play and ideally get to take a shot.

willie likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Who was Hargrove going to start over? Liddell, Okoro, Moody?

i never said start, but if i recall he was barely getting 10 minutes a game.   just seems light.  

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Imo it wasn't a question of talent in regards to his playing time.  The team was built around Liddell,  Okoro, Moses Moody, and Zion Harmon.  It was Hargrove's 1st year playing on an Elite level AAU team.  Everyone else were pretty much role players.

Having had a son who played AAU, it is not always about playing the most talented player.  Often lots of favoritism and coaches playing his "boy".

dennis_w likes this

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Having had a son who played AAU, it is not always about playing the most talented player.  Often lots of favoritism and coaches playing his "boy".

I agree.  That plays a part.  That's why I started my post saying it wasn't a question of talent regarding Hargrove.  BBE had wanted him for years...I think if he had joined when McKinney joined his role might have been different.  They had other kids to showcase ahead of Hargrove.  But Hargrove is very talented and will contribute next year.

3star_recruit likes this

Here's a link to the article that the tweet sourced: http://www.therepublic.com/2019/01/23/bad_break__north_graduate_hopes_to_return_from_fourth_foot_fracture/

Direct quote from EW on plans: "I have given it a lot of thought,” Welmer said. “I think what’s best for me long-term is to be done after this year. This is my fourth time breaking the same bone, and I want to have an active lifestyle later in life. If I break the same bone again, it could have a detrimental affect long-term.”

Says he would like to play for senior night, as timeline from doctor put him at about mid-late Feb. 

Finally: Welmer is hoping to be granted a waiver for scholarship that he can use next school year without it counting against the 13 that the basketball team is allotted. That would allow him to pursue a Master’s of Business Administration.