Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

Recruiting - 2019

Recommended Posts

Jankovic didn't find his groove offensively until the last three weeks or so.  I hope the trend continues.  He's got a nice feel for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is possible. There are occasional offers that just don't get picked up anywhere publicly. It's rare, but it's possible. The reason I don't think this is the case is that OJ tweeted about his two official visits (SLU and GT) and his one offer (Siena). I don't think he'd keep an offer quiet.

As for Welmer, TCO nails it. I would love for him to be a healthy senior contributor and stretch 4. That would be a valuable presence on so many levels for next year's team. But there's no way we can count on that.

Are we doing officials visits for kids that don't have offers?  You are allowed to host 25 officials visits per academic year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a full refresh today on the Recruiting Lists thread. 2019 notes:

-I don't think we're involved, but Tony Johnson says he's just about ready to trim his list and take more visits. Looks like Wichita State, Minnesota, Central Florida, UMass, Georgia Tech, TCU, and Vanderbilt are all in the mix.

-Julius Marble got an offer from Oklahoma State and now Michigan State and Minnesota are involved. We were his best offer until the OSU one.

-We appear to be continuing/renewing our involvement with Harry Morrice:

-Memphis is now making a strong push for Lester Quinones. He's taken official visits to LSU and Maryland and will choose between Memphis, Michigan, Georgia, and Miami for his final 3. He's in no rush, but this group is shaping up to be his final group (along with maybe Florida?) unless a blueblood gets seriously involved late.

-Antonio Reeves is taking an official visit to Illinois this weekend, and speculation is that they might offer. Wisconsin has been heavily involved lately, and Georgetown, Drake, and ETSU have been reaching out and watching him.

-Dischon Thomas received an offer from Buffalo.

-Oton Jankovic got some attention at Hoopfest Tampa:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-which causes me to wonder what might be causing Jankovic to have just one offer

-totally in synch with you and TCO on Welmer and will add kid needs to consider his ability to be able to walk at 30,40,50,60 etc

International kids taking prep years are always spring recruits and by nature "late bloomers" in the recruiting scene. The spring signing period is still 3 months away. A lot will change for him and others by then.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Are we doing officials visits for kids that don't have offers?  You are allowed to host 25 officials visits per academic year. 

I guess so, unless his offer has just never leaked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I guess so, unless his offer has just never leaked.

It wouldn't surprise me if we did, It just seems like everyone we have hosted in the past on an official either already had an offer or was offered on the official. We have enough available to do it every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

International kids taking prep years are always spring recruits and by nature "late bloomers" in the recruiting scene. The spring signing period is still 3 months away. A lot will change for him and others by then.

-got it, thanks for the knowledge

-what are your locals saying about tonight's game? not to derail a thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Doing a full refresh today on the Recruiting Lists thread. 2019 notes:

-I don't think we're involved, but Tony Johnson says he's just about ready to trim his list and take more visits. Looks like Wichita State, Minnesota, Central Florida, UMass, Georgia Tech, TCU, and Vanderbilt are all in the mix.

-Julius Marble got an offer from Oklahoma State and now Michigan State and Minnesota are involved. We were his best offer until the OSU one.

-We appear to be continuing/renewing our involvement with Harry Morrice:

-Memphis is now making a strong push for Lester Quinones. He's taken official visits to LSU and Maryland and will choose between Memphis, Michigan, Georgia, and Miami for his final 3. He's in no rush, but this group is shaping up to be his final group (along with maybe Florida?) unless a blueblood gets seriously involved late.

-Antonio Reeves is taking an official visit to Illinois this weekend, and speculation is that they might offer. Wisconsin has been heavily involved lately, and Georgetown, Drake, and ETSU have been reaching out and watching him.

-Dischon Thomas received an offer from Buffalo.

-Oton Jankovic got some attention at Hoopfest Tampa:

 

No news on Jason Jitoboh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, gravilst said:

No news on Jason Jitoboh?

Nothing recruiting-wise. He's been solid for Hamilton Heights lately, putting up good numbers and blocking more shots. But no movement on the recruiting front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-got it, thanks for the knowledge

-what are your locals saying about tonight's game? not to derail a thread

The sweatervests are about an hour north of here, mostly, and I don't happen to have any in my immediate orbit. I'm sure they're happy to be taking on this version of our team, beaten down and shorthanded. It'd be great to gut one out tonight but I'm not optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Jankovic write-up. They make it sound like GT is his leader, with SLU second. Good to get confirmation on who else he's hearing from. I still don't know why they're all being so gun-shy with offering, though. From the brief article:

"Jankovic said he’s taken official visits to Georgia Tech and Saint Louis already. 

He’s also heard from Villanova, Kansas State, Seton Hall, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, Texas Tech, Stanford, Tennessee, Arizona State, San Fransisco, Santa Clara and Princeton. 

Judging by his visits, Josh Pastner’s program has really stood out so far, Jankovic said. 

“I liked Georgia Tech because I want to play in the ACC and their facilities are amazing,” he said. 

“Saint Louis was my first visit and it was really good,” Jankovic added."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Just waiting for a "Welcome ...." thread

Was just thinking yesterday that this is the longest I can remember going without a commitment in the Ford era. I’m sure there have been longer stretches but it doesn’t feel like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked through the recruiting list for 2019 a long time ago, and it really seemed like the best forward, and probably the best fit for our style, was Anderson Mirambeaux. I know we haven’t really been a big player for him so far. Is there any update? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, almaman said:

Wish could of watched this than our game.

I did. Great game. East St Louis was down by two and Hargrove drove into the lane and was filed with 5.8 seconds left. He swished both free throws and East St Louis won by one. Very entertaining. Liddell was the best player on the court, but Hargrove accounted well for himself. He needs to improve his shot, but with the right coaching he will be a very good college player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't mind being Jankovic's safety school if the high major thing doesn't work out:

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/6349930-montverdes-oton-jankovic-is-an-intriguing-uncommitted-big-man

Just hope we don’t wait too long and miss out on other potential options. We have a ton of scholarships. 

Definitely see Ford going after some transfers with two or three years of eligibility left. Worked out well with Bess and Foreman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Seems like G Tech is keeping him as their safety. TF can use that against them. 

Wouldn't Ford need to extend an offer to be able to have such leverage?  Otherwise the programs are on equal footing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow THJr on twitter. I think he is going to be one of the best freshman we've had in quite some time. He plays with so much energy and confidence.  He put up nice points against EJ Liddel and his squad like it was no big deal. So excited about him.  He's a 3star recruit I think, but he is so underrated. Looks like 4star to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×