Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Mack is not a comparable player to Lewis. He's much bigger (6-6, 225) and more versatile. Lewis is a shooter. We have another open scholarship and still need scoring. That's why I went looking for "replacements" for Lewis.

Mack would be a huge get. I knew I wouldn't fall right asleep after the Blues game last night so I wrote a few words about him.

I don't know what our chances are with him. Clemson is the closest thing to a "home" program recruiting him currently. Their campus is just over 2 hours away from Columbia, SC, where he's from. The local program is not one of his finalists. He's at Oregon today and tomorrow, then SLU Wednesday and Thursday. I really like the timing, with the freshmen moving in this weekend and the five returners also moved back or on their way. Everyone should be there by the time he arrives.

Georgia Tech, Illinois, and Houston are also in the mix. He'd be a very good fit at any of them. All of his six suitors either have had major departures or have young cores in need of experience and scoring. None of them look like Tournament teams to me, especially without him.

I was talking to @TheChosenOne yesterday about this, and we basically agreed that we can take a scorer at any position on the floor right now. Our current lineup can be adjusted to whatever type of player you bring in - a big, a wing, or someone more dominant on the ball. Lewis would've fit pretty well, and there's no question Mack would, too. We just need buckets.

Mack declared for the draft and withdrew. It seems like his takeaway was that he needs to continue to develop his shot and work on his ball handling, mainly, along with some other things. He likes to step out and shoot - he's never averaged less than 4.0 3FGA in his three college seasons - but he has room for improvement (.333 this past season). He'd be able to replace Bess' offense (maybe not his FT shooting - Mack was .560 last season), although I wouldn't expect him to be quite the defender Bess was. Still, he's healthy and has all the motivation he needs. Hopefully we can seal the deal.

His shooting percentages are a little odd.  Only 42% from the field, but a solid 33% from 3 pt range.  And then that nasty 56% from FT.  I trust Ford and the analysis from some of the board members, but i'm left wondering how Mack really fits in.  Not quite a 4, a solid but not spectacular shooting threat, horrendous from the FT line.  Again, i'm not doubting Ford, just curious to see how Mack would fit in effectively with our guys. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Oregon seemingly goes after every decent grad transfer, so not surprising they're in the mix.

It's really simple - whenever there is a chance to upgrade the talent on your roster, you go for it. This is a no-brainer. Especially considering we have two open scholarships.

We have two potential Top 15 players in the league, surrounded by a largely unproven supporting cast - although I expect some of the talented newcomers to make solid contributions. If we could add another starter at this point, that would be a tremendous steal. I don't expect to contend for the regular season title, but this season does not need to be viewed as a rebuilt. As last March showed us in the conference tournament, if we just get hot, we can win this baby!

Oregon also returns only 5 players, like SLU. They had like 8 scholarship players as of a few weeks ago. Now Mathis (from New Mexico) and Williams (from Duquesne) are coming in, and Mathis is immediately eligible.

But yeah, they seem to have been a finalist for like 20 grad transfers.

Having one more proven player would be huge for SLU this year. Especially one who can score.

Just now, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Is there any indication of Blackshear looking at schools or staying at Tech

im hearing Tennessee is looking to be the landing spot. 

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

His shooting percentages are a little odd.  Only 42% from the field, but a solid 33% from 3 pt range.  And then that nasty 56% from FT.  I trust Ford and the analysis from some of the board members, but i'm left wondering how Mack really fits in.  Not quite a 4, a solid but not spectacular shooting threat, horrendous from the FT line.  Again, i'm not doubting Ford, just curious to see how Mack would fit in effectively with our guys. 

He's kind of like Lewis in the regard that his junior numbers were a big drop from his sophomore numbers (at Texas):

2018-2019: 34 games, 20.6 MPG, 9.0 PPG, .417/.333/.560, 3.3 RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.5 BPG, 0.3 SPG.

2016-2017: 15 games, 31.3 MPG, 14.8 PPG, .459/.391/.588, 4.8 RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.5 BPG, 0.5 SPG.

Those sophomore percentages show what he's capable of in the right circumstances. Granted, the circumstances at Texas deteriorated pretty quickly for him in January 2017, but he was their leading scorer before that.

His junior game log shows a pretty streaky shooter. His minutes were also relatively inconsistent for the fourth-leading scorer who was rarely in foul trouble. He was 6th in minutes, although Avery Johnson tends to spread minutes out more.

So I think he's quite capable of a big leap in efficiency, given the right fit.

moytoy12 likes this

18 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Is there any indication of Blackshear looking at schools or staying at Tech

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im hearing Tennessee is looking to be the landing spot. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

just from the pieces i have read on mack, i assume he envisions he is a wing.   i am betting that ford wants him as a 4 who has 3 point abilities.   that might scare him off as he doesnt want to be considered an inside player is my bet.   

In the A10, a 4 man is usually guarding a 6-7/6-8 wing.  Which is the same player he will be expected to guard at the next level. Four out, one in has been the default in the A10 for several years now.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If he can get 3 boards a game in a league with NBA quality bigs he can easily get 4 boards a game in the A10.  That's really all we need.

thats probably true, just thinking to myself that he just doesn't fit Fords typical 2-5 player in that category.  But its not like we're hurting for rebounders. 

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes Mack hit 56% of his FT, but he only took 50.  Mack played 699 minutes, so the total FTA isn't all that skewed. He made 26 of the 50. 

Thatch played 695 minutes with 54 FTA and hit 61%, sinking 33.

So Mack gives you the same free throw shooting and rebounding as Foreman but with much better perimeter shooting and ballhandling.

HoosierPal, Zink and cgeldmacher like this

6 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

Lol wow one of the best highlight tapes I've seen in a while. No chance we get this guy.

It's one of the worst highlight tapes I've seen in a while (looks like he's a class of '87 recruit). One of the best prospects, though.

I'll get a bio up soon. I have to Lok Wur I can get some good info on him.

giphy.gif

rgbilliken and Cincybill like this

45 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Kid has received a ton of offers in the last 1-2 days since becoming eligible (previously committed to a juco presumably due to the NCAA eligibility issues). 

Yep, a lot of competition. It would be an upset if we could it off.