Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Obviously Ford has pretty strong interest since Mack is visiting next week.  If he was "poison", he would not be getting the invite.

Hopefully, they've vetted this guy, because he does sound a bit risky. Team Blue first. 

Based on his track record, Tramaine Isabell was the riskiest transfer Coach Ford ever signed:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article8873603.html

TITLE:  Missouri guard Tramaine Isabell suspended again

Missouri freshman point guard Tramaine Isabell was suspended Saturday for the Tigers’ 67-47 loss against Mississippi at Mizzou Arena.

He was not on the Tigers’ bench.

“Before we start, I know some of you probably want to ask about Tramaine, so I’ll make this statement right now then I don’t really want to talk about him anymore,” Missouri coach Kim Anderson said. “(I) withheld him today from competition due to his ongoing behavior on the court. His behavior toward our coaches and teammates at times has been unacceptable.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

At 6'6 225, Mack's a 4 man in the A-10.   He was a starter for a P-5 team.  This is low-risk, high reward.  On day one, he's one of the best forwards in the conference.  If there are maturity issues, he's gone.  He has no leverage.

If you are going to play bully ball, you need the players that can play bully ball. Mack fits that bill.

slufanskip and BIG BILL FAN like this

I’m very excited at the prospect of Mack.  

I’m very happy that Ford looks at every season as one where he needs to compete for a championship.  His plan was to play Gordon at the 5/4 spot with French....which by the way would have given us a ridiculous starting 5 of talent.  That didn’t work out so he is adjusting and hopefully bringing in more competition.

Thrusting a freshman big into having to play 35+ mins is the recipe for a 15 win season 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, moytoy12 said:

Not necessarily saying we're interested in this guy, but it shows that there is still an opportunity to find someone who could help out.  

Everyone is talking about Mack because he has a visit scheduled but I hope Ford gives this guy a look as well....and hopefully gets both of them....go from a rebuilding year to a championship year.

Mack is a nice player.  Much better shooting off the catch than Bess was.  Not sure if he has the ball skills or mid range game.  He goes straight into the starting lineup on SLU.  It looks like he wants to play on the perimeter and he could do that here.  JGood, Thatch, Mack, Perkins & French is a nice lineup.

Zink likes this

Clemson has to be the favorite—it was his first visit, it’s close to home and he knows the coach.

However, as of a week ago he was reportedly interested in 3 “big name” programs and SLU wasn’t one of them...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-3-big-name-programs-emerge-as-potential-landing-spots-for-alabama-grad-transfer-tevin-mack/amp/

Like the chances more after seeing the additional context...

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Clemson would appear to have the edge as it's close for his family. But Clemson is FB dominated. He might like being the big fish in a smaller pond. Kind of surprised we're on his radar at all. 

He’s transferring out of Alabama. Football is kind of big down there. He knows all about fishing in big ponds. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He’s transferring out of Alabama. Football is kind of big down there. He knows all about fishing in big ponds. 

I'm grasping at straws, ok? This guy could possibly be a game changer for this season. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm grasping at straws, ok? This guy could possibly be a game changer for this season. 

Why in the name of heavens should you be grasping at straws this early (June 9). We have plenty to work with this year, with or without Lewis and without anyone else, give it time. Have a nice glass of bourbon after dinner and life will look better tomorrow.

10 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Clemson has to be the favorite—it was his first visit, it’s close to home and he knows the coach.

However, as of a week ago he was reportedly interested in 3 “big name” programs and SLU wasn’t one of them...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-3-big-name-programs-emerge-as-potential-landing-spots-for-alabama-grad-transfer-tevin-mack/amp/

Like the chances more after seeing the additional context...

I was poking around for potential replacements for Lewis last week, saw that he was down to three, and moved on. It's awesome that we're going to get him on campus for a visit, and right after everyone just moved in for the summer. He'd be a nice fit. We have big minutes for anyone who can score, at any position - and for some of the specific reasons others have mentioned.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

I was poking around for potential replacements for Lewis last week, saw that he was down to three, and moved on. It's awesome that we're going to get him on campus for a visit, and right after everyone just moved in for the summer. He'd be a nice fit. We have big minutes for anyone who can score, at any position - and for some of the specific reasons others have mentioned.

We don’t need a Mike Lewis replacement.  In fact, we didn’t need Mike Lewis in the first place.  Hard to turn down a guard like Lewis - and Ford did not.  But we needed a GT forward (and still do) as opposed to a GT guard. 

I defer to Ford as Mack would likely be an immediate upgrade over our young guards - and maybe Ford believes Hargrove/Perkins will play with their backs to the basket this year and/or we will go w a 4 guard lineup

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

We don’t need a Mike Lewis replacement.  In fact, we didn’t need Mike Lewis in the first place.  Hard to turn down a guard like Lewis - and Ford did not.  But we needed a GT forward (and still do) as opposed to a GT guard. 

I defer to Ford as Mack would likely be an immediate upgrade over our young guards - and maybe Ford believes Hargrove/Perkins will play with their backs to the basket this year and/or we will go w a 4 guard lineup

.... we definitely need help with shooting 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Last year I would have said we absolutely do not need another guard.  At the midway point I would have loved to have another guard.  You never know who will under-perform or get in trouble, or transfer out, or get injured. 

Mack is not a comparable player to Lewis. He's much bigger (6-6, 225) and more versatile. Lewis is a shooter. We have another open scholarship and still need scoring. That's why I went looking for "replacements" for Lewis.

Mack would be a huge get. I knew I wouldn't fall right asleep after the Blues game last night so I wrote a few words about him.

I don't know what our chances are with him. Clemson is the closest thing to a "home" program recruiting him currently. Their campus is just over 2 hours away from Columbia, SC, where he's from. The local program is not one of his finalists. He's at Oregon today and tomorrow, then SLU Wednesday and Thursday. I really like the timing, with the freshmen moving in this weekend and the five returners also moved back or on their way. Everyone should be there by the time he arrives.

Georgia Tech, Illinois, and Houston are also in the mix. He'd be a very good fit at any of them. All of his six suitors either have had major departures or have young cores in need of experience and scoring. None of them look like Tournament teams to me, especially without him.

I was talking to @TheChosenOne yesterday about this, and we basically agreed that we can take a scorer at any position on the floor right now. Our current lineup can be adjusted to whatever type of player you bring in - a big, a wing, or someone more dominant on the ball. Lewis would've fit pretty well, and there's no question Mack would, too. We just need buckets.

Mack declared for the draft and withdrew. It seems like his takeaway was that he needs to continue to develop his shot and work on his ball handling, mainly, along with some other things. He likes to step out and shoot - he's never averaged less than 4.0 3FGA in his three college seasons - but he has room for improvement (.333 this past season). He'd be able to replace Bess' offense (maybe not his FT shooting - Mack was .560 last season), although I wouldn't expect him to be quite the defender Bess was. Still, he's healthy and has all the motivation he needs. Hopefully we can seal the deal.

just from the pieces i have read on mack, i assume he envisions he is a wing.   i am betting that ford wants him as a 4 who has 3 point abilities.   that might scare him off as he doesnt want to be considered an inside player is my bet.   

Oregon seemingly goes after every decent grad transfer, so not surprising they're in the mix.

It's really simple - whenever there is a chance to upgrade the talent on your roster, you go for it. This is a no-brainer. Especially considering we have two open scholarships.

We have two potential Top 15 players in the league, surrounded by a largely unproven supporting cast - although I expect some of the talented newcomers to make solid contributions. If we could add another starter at this point, that would be a tremendous steal. I don't expect to contend for the regular season title, but this season does not need to be viewed as a rebuilt. As last March showed us in the conference tournament, if we just get hot, we can win this baby!

dennis_w likes this