Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Macon lands a 3 star from NYC for St John's. Champagne is his name, if anyone cares. 

Looks like we can close the books on any more additions to our '19-20 roster per Stu article. We swung and missed on a GT big, but given the fact most chose P5's it's understandable. Here's hoping our project bigs develop quickly. I think we'll be playing a lot of small ball though. 

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

Macon lands a 3 star from NYC for St John's. Champagne is his name, if anyone cares. 

Looks like we can close the books on any more additions to our '19-20 roster per Stu article. We swung and missed on a GT big, but given the fact most chose P5's it's understandable. Here's hoping our project bigs develop quickly. I think we'll be playing a lot of small ball though. 

Will be interesting to see how much PT the two centers....they’re in effect replacing CG.

He was the only 2019 offer left who still made any sense on our roster. If we fill either of the last two scholarships, it will be with players who aren't on our radar yet.

So a little more google info.  Mack was recruited by Smart to VCU, then was released and followed Smart to Texas.   At Texas he  was suspended twice for team rules violations, the last was indefinitely, or that might have change and then he left to go to Alabama.  Coaches will need to see what Shaka has to say about him.  No apparent issues at Alabama in a redhshirt year of full year playing last year.  Given that he is 6'6" and hit  33% from 3, I hope these were immaturity issues he has outgrown.

He entered the draft earlier this year, and I guess withdrew.

56 % FT shooter who was suspended twice at TX. 

No thanks, I can't imagine what TF is thinking.  Haven't we had enough guys with trouble in their resumes?.  I know he would be a GT and not take up room from future scholarship but I'd rather we give the "6'6" player" minutes to Jimerson, Perkins and Hargrove.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

No thanks, I can't imagine what TF is thinking.  Haven't we had enough guys with trouble in their resumes?.  I know he would be a GT and not take up room from future scholarship but I'd rather we give the "6'6" player" minutes to Jimerson, Perkins and Hargrove.

At 6'6 225, Mack's a 4 man in the A-10.   He was a starter for a P-5 team.  This is low-risk, high reward.  On day one, he's one of the best forwards in the conference.  If there are maturity issues, he's gone.  He has no leverage.

He is looking at Clemson, already made a visit,  Oregon and SLU  (visits) scheduled.  Others showing interest Michigan,  Illinois ....

Isabel had maturity issues. He has had no suspensions in two years, leaving because his old coach was fired, and since he graduated he is free to do so. 

He is looking for a place where he can shine.  SLU sound like a good fit, lower conference where he could play perhaps star...

Clemson lost for starters, OSU sounds a lot like SLU not many returning scholarship players, but SLU is much closer to his family.

29 minutes ago, bauman said:

You know nothing of what happened at TX.  Perhaps some immaturity issues now passed.  I will trust someone in the know, Ford, on this one.  If the kid has NBA/professional ambitions it would behoove him to stay clean, be a team guy, and have a successful last year.

Some Board members (not me) have been critical about signing Gordon with his troubled background even with his high ceiling.  Especially after S-2 and then we had Santos last year along with CAG.  I think we need to avoid these potential issues especially when Mack's  ceiling is much lower than Gordon's.  If you say he's a 4, not a 3/4, then give all the "4" minutes to Perkins/Hargrove and French (when one of our FR bigs is in the 5 spot).

After all the character issues TF has endured, can you imagine the grief he would endure if a recruit with these prior issues flames out.  I have given him a pass on all the previous problems but not on this one if it would happen.

46 minutes ago, bauman said:

Some Board members (not me) have been critical about signing Gordon with his troubled background even with his high ceiling.  Especially after S-2 and then we had Santos last year along with CAG.  I think we need to avoid these potential issues especially when Mack's  ceiling is much lower than Gordon's.  If you say he's a 4, not a 3/4, then give all the "4" minutes to Perkins/Hargrove and French (when one of our FR bigs is in the 5 spot).

After all the character issues TF has endured, can you imagine the grief he would endure if a recruit with these prior issues flames out.  I have given him a pass on all the previous problems but not on this one if it would happen.

Why would I start a project big at the 5 when Mack and French is potentially the best  frontcourt in the conference?  Again, if there are maturity issues, then you wish Mack well and you play one of the project bigs a lot of minutes.  

Mack signed with Shaka Smart when he was still the coach at VCU and followed him to Texas.  The relationship went sour.  There were no reported issues before Mack got to college or when he played at Alabama.  Sounds like it was a personal rift with Smart.  You're not going to win a battle with the head coach.  Mack's either learned the lesson or he hasn't.

CBFan, AGB91 and SLU_Nick like this