Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

golden doesnt necessarily play in the lane.   he's able to get the ball at the 3 line and shoot and is fairly good on the dribble for a big man.  i do not envision either bell or diarra being successful against the likes of golden.   at least not anytime in the rest of golden's college career.   the bonnie big, ( assume you are referencing osunniyi) is also extremely athletic and mobile.   he doesnt have the range golden has but he would be a tough matchup vs bell or a diarra type as well.   

french is the matchup vs either of these guys imo.  

Golden is good away from the basket but he did layup drills against us last year. At least 6'10 245 would make those layups more difficult.

CBFan likes this

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Moreno to Eastern Kentucky.

Lester Quinones is down to Indiana and Memphis. He will announce tomorrow.

Just closing the loop on a couple 2019 offers.

Just a thought, but the signing period ends on the 15th, so this is the final weekend for visits before that date.

Guys can still sign after that date but I think it's a mental deadline for a lot of them. There should be a lot of 2019 commitments between now and then, and I wouldn't be surprised if Diarra chooses SLU quickly partly for that reason. (Although he did call this his "first" official visit, so maybe he's not worried about the timeline.)

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

UL Lafayette signed a JUCO named Doudou Gueye - not sure why, but that made me chuckle.

Made me laugh too thank you Ace

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

UL Lafayette signed a JUCO named Doudou Gueye - not sure why, but that made me chuckle.

Kid is actually a really good prospect. Had offers from and visited Texas Tech, Seton Hall, Pitt and Arkansas.  His JUCO coach at Daytona St. is joining the staff at Lafayette. He follows his teammate Durey Cadwell who originally committed to Nate Oats at Buffalo back in November.

The third kid on that team is the real prize, Khadim Sy.  If he ends up at Lafayette, they will have one hell of a team.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Kid is actually a really good prospect. Had offers from and visited Texas Tech, Seton Hall, Pitt and Arkansas.  His JUCO coach at Daytona St. is joining the staff at Lafayette. He follows his teammate Durey Cadwell who originally committed to Nate Oats at Buffalo back in November.

The third kid on that team is the real prize, Khadim Sy.  If he ends up at Lafayette, they will have one hell of a team.

They'll have Jalen Johnson too.

brianstl and MattyMo213 like this

On 5/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, RUBillsFan said:

This kid is excellent with MS Paint:

Been real quiet considering this is supposed to be day 2 of his visit.  Got to believe if SLU is interested they have their medical staff looking real hard at the kid's leg/knee.  That is assuming they can do that.  Anyone on campus see or hear anything? 

Still hoping at least one grad transfer big is brought in.  SLU can use the experience and the scholarship for 2020.  I assume Lewis gives them one for 2020, but really would love to see two available without having to rely on a transfer out.  Hoping that kind of disruption is less than it has been the past couple of years.

Closing the loop on this one. Had a SLU offer at one point.

He's playing AAU ball this spring to get more attention; he apparently heard from quite a few schools in the past few weeks. He came over from Scotland last summer and played a season at Beckley Prep in WV. He's a nice looking prospect from the little I've seen so this seems like a really nice get for them. An interesting factor here is that NC A&T is an HBCU, and I'll let Wikipedia take it from here:

"North Carolina A&T has a total undergraduate enrollment of 10,298, with a gender distribution of 43 percent male students and 57 percent female students, with 75% of students being North Carolina residents, 4% being international students and the remainder coming from other areas of the US. As a historically black university, the racial make up of the student body is 77% African American and 23% non-African-American. Under the university's strategic plan dubbed "A&T Preeminence: Taking the Momentum to 2023," the university increased the non-African-American student population and plans to continue its growth through 2023."

Kind of an interesting fit for a 6-11 Scottish kid. But then again, so is a prep year in rural West Virginia.

Committed to Michigan a year ago, and had a SLU offer before that:

I'm guessing he'll be a sought-after player immediately. Had offers from Marquette, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, UCLA, Florida State, VT, Purdue, VCU, and more.

Now I wonder if Cole Bajema will stay or go. He's from Lynden, WA - closer to Vancouver than Seattle - and there's already a push from UW fans to get him.

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Committed to Michigan a year ago, and had a SLU offer before that:

I'm guessing he'll be a sought-after player immediately. Had offers from Marquette, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, UCLA, Florida State, VT, Purdue, VCU, and more.

Now I wonder if Cole Bajema will stay or go. He's from Lynden, WA - closer to Vancouver than Seattle - and there's already a push from UW fans to get him.

Hmmmm interesting kid is from Denton Ryan HS powerhouse in FB just north of Ft. Worth.  There's chatter of Smart to Michigan he could probably keep a good class together or maybe lure this guy back to Texas. 

We have an assistant opening maybe we hire this guy's lead recruiter and get him to SLU.

Had a SLU offer. SIUC was looking like a favorite for a while. The past few months have been mostly Valley and Horizon schools, so this seems about right. He should be a nice player there.

Had a SLU offer a long time ago when we offered 5 guys from Boo Williams at once. He's a Dominican kid who played at Teays Valley Christian in WV. Big-bodied and skilled, but arguably another project big. A couple good juco seasons at Trinity Valley and he will have some solid D-I options. I thought Marshall looked like his landing spot for a while. Manhattan offered this spring, but things have been quiet since.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, courtside said:

2019 Oton Jankovic, 6’9 forward from Monteverde, FL, by way of California Prolific Prep, and his native Croatia, committed to Vanderbilt this morning. He had visited SLU and Georgia Tech, and considered some others. 

I guess he got what he wanted which was a P5 scholarship. Did we ever really offer this guy?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I guess he got what he wanted which was a P5 scholarship. Did we ever really offer this guy?

He took an official visit but never got an offer.

I would've offered. I think he's a great looking player and would be a great fit on our roster as a skilled stretch forward. Only downside would've been crowding one class and not having open 2020 scholarships to offer.

Here's the bio I had on him (I did a 2019 update this morning to see if the few remaining names had any news, and they didn't at the time):

Oton Jankovic - PF, 6-9, 205 - Zagreb, Croatia (Montverde Academy, FL) - Twitter: @JankovicOton

Offers: Siena.

Interest: SLU, Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Iowa State, K-State, Texas Tech, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Arizona State, Wichita State, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Princeton, Buffalo, Middle Tennessee, Stetson.

Latest News: Jankovic visited Stetson in late April. (5/28/19)

Scouting Report: Jankovic is a bouncy, athletic, versatile forward with a good frame. He moves very well, running the floor quickly for his size and showing a nice step to the rim. He's smart off the ball, with a good feel for positioning. He shows good timing on rebounding at both ends. He's a nice finisher with an ability to handle contact, and has a right hook shot. He doesn't have a ton of length but can defend multiple positions because of his footwork and strength. He also has a solid stroke with range. He came to the US from Croatia in fall 2016 and played two seasons at Prolific Prep in California before transferring to Montverde for this season. Most prospects of his caliber would have signed in Europe rather than come to the US for college. He has dealt with some injuries in his two years here so far. Rankings: 247Sports - 292, 247Sports Composite - 263.

He probably had more offers, just not ones that were known publicly. Happens sometimes with spring recruits when the cycle is shorter.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, Pistol said:

Mickey Pearson to TCU:

Before all the comments about how much you don't care, I'm just closing the loop.

TCU had been involved for the past several months.

Not that anyone cares.... but somehow Mickey Pearson is now listed as a 4 star recruit by ESPN...