Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madani Diarra - C, 6-10, 245 - Bamako, Mali (St. Benedict's, NJ) - Twitter: @Madani1059982

Offers: SLU, Detroit, Mississippi Valley State. 

Interest: Syracuse, UConn.

Latest News: Diarra received an offer from SLU. (5/2/19)

Scouting Report: Diarra is a big post player who spent much of his HS career injured. Wearing a full-leg brace, he played the second half of his senior year at St. Benedict's. He's an imposing defensive presence, disrupting a ton of shots. He's a strong rebounder at both ends and gets good position. He's raw offensively but moves well off the ball to get open and picks up a lot of second-chance points from offensive rebounds.

-He plays (played?) AAU ball with the NY Jayhawks, a program we've recruited since Ford has been at SLU. Here's a video from this year. The other one I found is from 2017; he's leaner and looks slightly more mobile, but he's younger so he's still raw. There's very little out there about this guy, including the nature and severity of his injury. He's Malian, like those two DeSmet bigs - could be a nice ambassador for them. He's clearly a project, although his size makes him intriguing. Just wish I had more information.

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’d pass. The guy has no other offers and is clearly injury prone. Seems like we would be adding a welmer again and that’s 6 years of scholarships gone 

I think our coach has a different opinion since he just offered.

I would prefer 2 GT bigs but if our coach does not think we have a shot at Bradford then this might be his plan B.

In coach Ford I trust.

If his knee can get back to 100% then I like the offer. Ford only plays 7 or 8 anyway so might be a nice redshirt candidate. Kid moves well and is physical... Just lacks the explosion. Plus there's still one more scholarship for a great transfer big.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't see how this offer fits with being in good shape with a couple of grad transfer bigs.

Which bigs are we in good shape with? It looks the neither the Drexel big or the UNLV big are realistic right now. 

15 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

Which bigs are we in good shape with? It looks the neither the Drexel big or the UNLV big are realistic right now. 

That was my point.  It appears frank was totally wrong yesterday.

Not that anyone else cares, but figured I'd post this anyway.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Iowa wing Isaiah Moss will transfer and be eligible immediately for a new school, his father told <a href="https://twitter.com/Stadium?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Stadium</a>. Averaged 9.2 points per game this past season and shot 42 percent from 3.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1124057500393799680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’d pass. The guy has no other offers and is clearly injury prone. Seems like we would be adding a welmer again and that’s 6 years of scholarships gone 

Drejaj has a great quote about this kind of thing in the interview we’re releasing on Sunday. 

4 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Elliot Welmer spent four years at SLU and got two bachelor's degrees, and now he's chosen to move on despite having two years of eligibility remaining.  That's not six scholarship years wasted by any shape or form.  At most, there were three years that SLU got no more than intrinsic benefits from Welmer's participation.

On a related tangent, isn't it pitiful that of Jim Crews's last two recruiting classes no one played more than two years (Neufeld[!] was the only one to complete more than one)?

45 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Elliot Welmer spent four years at SLU and got two bachelor's degrees, and now he's chosen to move on despite having two years of eligibility remaining.  That's not six scholarship years wasted by any shape or form.  At most, there were three years that SLU got no more than intrinsic benefits from Welmer's participation.

On a related tangent, isn't it pitiful that of Jim Crews's last two recruiting classes no one played more than two years (Neufeld[!] was the only one to complete more than one)?

Never said Elliot wasted his time. 

The scholarship isn’t a handout. They expect something in return. 

Just like the presidential scholarship is given so that SLU can get the smartest students on campus away from other top schools with the hope that xx years down the line they give money back when they have the money to give away

8 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Never said Elliot wasted his time. 

The scholarship isn’t a handout. They expect something in return. 

Just like the presidential scholarship is given so that SLU can get the smartest students on campus away from other top schools with the hope that xx years down the line they give money back when they have the money to give away

I know that you weren't talking about Welmer; you were talking about SLU.  I'm just saying SLU didn't "waste" six years, as you claimed.  If there was any waste, from a basketball standpoint, it was no more than three years wasted.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, Pistol said:

Madani Diarra - C, 6-10, 245 - Bamako, Mali (St. Benedict's, NJ) - Twitter: @Madani1059982

Offers: SLU, Detroit, Mississippi Valley State. 

Interest: Syracuse, UConn.

Latest News: Diarra received an offer from SLU. (5/2/19)

Scouting Report: Diarra is a big post player who spent much of his HS career injured. Wearing a full-leg brace, he played the second half of his senior year at St. Benedict's. He's an imposing defensive presence, disrupting a ton of shots. He's a strong rebounder at both ends and gets good position. He's raw offensively but moves well off the ball to get open and picks up a lot of second-chance points from offensive rebounds.

-He plays (played?) AAU ball with the NY Jayhawks, a program we've recruited since Ford has been at SLU. Here's a video from this year. The other one I found is from 2017; he's leaner and looks slightly more mobile, but he's younger so he's still raw. There's very little out there about this guy, including the nature and severity of his injury. He's Malian, like those two DeSmet bigs - could be a nice ambassador for them. He's clearly a project, although his size makes him intriguing. Just wish I had more information.

at this point, assuming we are out of the running on the good graduate transfers, i'd take this guy.   i doubt he is ever a star but he  obviously could become a suitable backup.   especially if the leg comes around.   just have two works in progress with him and bell.  

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

at this point, assuming we are out of the running on the good graduate transfers, i'd take this guy.   i doubt he is ever a star but he  obviously could become a suitable backup.   especially if the leg comes around.   just have two works in progress with him and bell.  

I think it is still early for GT’s and I believe after the end of the semester there will be a lot of activity.  Isabell and Wiley came late and last season after missing out on Coleman I thought we would not sign a good player.

It took a phone call to get Isabell and a phone call to a big that you are the missing piece to make the team a possible sweet 16 team is a good selling point.

Blackshear and others are still out there and I think by the end of May someone good will want to play with French and JGood. 

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think it is still early for GT’s and I believe after the end of the semester there will be a lot of activity.  Isabell and Wiley came late and last season after missing out on Coleman I thought we would not sign a good player.

It took a phone call to get Isabell and a phone call to a big that you are the missing piece to make the team a possible sweet 16 team is a good selling point.

Blackshear and others are still out there and I think by the end of May someone good will want to play with French and JGood. 

we've got two open spots.   i am doubting we get two quality graduate transfers at this point.   the drexel kid going to minnesota surprised me.   i kind of had that one penciled in.  Blacksheer is going to go big.  that is a huge longshot there imo.