Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Will be sitting down with Terrence Hargrove. If you have any questions for him, let us know.

I trust you have checked with slu compliance that you are allowed to interview and  broadcast recruits?   Or do you have press credentials?   

SLU_Nick likes this

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

3 Star. You obviously have a connection to these young recruits. And obviously there are exceptions to every rule, there are Spring recruits who are late bloomers, who were not noticed earlier due to not playing AAU, injury, lack of opportunity... but are we looking at a lower quality of kids here in the Spring than we looked at in the Fall. 

Would we be wanting Carpenter in the Fall as much as here in the Spring. Same questions with Bell.

We need another big to allow French to play the 4 and Perkins the 3, but if if these Spring guys are more non Day 1 impact players, team fillers and projects, then we should probably go with what we have and then have 3 to 4 to give out next Fall to some real players  

Why do we want Perkins at the 3 and French at the 4?

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Why do we want Perkins at the 3 and French at the 4?

Because Perkins is a guard/wing and French is a bit undersized against some centers — though it's not as much of a problem in the A-10.  However, I subscribe to the notion that SLU should build a team to compete nationally, not just in the A-10.  That way NCAA Tournament appearances aren't merely one-and-done.

39 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Because Perkins is a guard/wing and French is a bit undersized against some centers — though it's not as much of a problem in the A-10.  However, I subscribe to the notion that SLU should build a team to compete nationally, not just in the A-10.  That way NCAA Tournament appearances aren't merely one-and-done.

Then we need to go heavy on guards.  Tourney's have become the domain of guards.  Best case was Villanova last season.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I trust you have checked with slu compliance that you are allowed to interview and  broadcast recruits?   Or do you have press credentials?   

They aren’t affiliated with the University in an official capacity. Hargrove has signed his LOI. What would the issue be?

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

They aren’t affiliated with the University in an official capacity. Hargrove has signed his LOI. What would the issue be?

Season ticket holders are affiliated enough to be cautioned by the AD.  No idea if this is an issue in this case though......

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Look up the definition of a booster.   At least 05 is defined as a booster i dont know the other guy.  

I know their intentions are good, but when dealing with scholarshiped players and recruits i think they might want to be sure they are ok

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

+1

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The prep school offer parade continues. Maidoh is a slender 6'9 stretch four with hops. Another late bloomer who grew 2 inches in the last 18 months.  

Kid has some skills and runs the floor well. Would need to put on a lot of weight. 7'3" wing span

22 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

+1 and This is why I like the addition of Bell.  It allows us to be a big, physical team that can match up with anyone and go taller than the majority of teams that we play.  We are already a difficult team to play and a big 7 footer altering shots, just adds to the other team's frustrations. 

4 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I would like to have another point guard. Collins will definitely help, but we also need a backup. One of our problems this year was the lack of a point guard that could handle the ball against pressure and run the offense.

Coach Ford said if/when Jacobs returns to action this season, he would be the back up point guard.  If he stays, your request has been fulfilled.

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The prep school offer parade continues. Maidoh is a slender 6'9 stretch four with hops. Another late bloomer who grew 2 inches in the last 18 months.  

Sounds like a good project player. Didn’t Hankton gain like 10 pounds in a month with summer workouts? I bet our strength coach could do wonders for him

On 3/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, billiken_roy said:

We have talked to people before we sat down with Jimmy Bell Jr. and we have done our homework to make sure that we will not be in anyway breaking rules or violations in interviewing him. We covered everything as best we could, and are very confident we haven't crossed any lines or broken rules. Thanks. 

MattyMo213 and Littlebill like this

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

A Welmer clone, hangs around the outside and shoots treys, good shot blocker on D. Part of supporting cast of a great prep school team...averaged only about 9 points  6 rebounds in high school but lots of potential due to height and mobility/agility:

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/prospect-spotlight-chris-maidoh-2018/

28 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

A Welmer clone, hangs around the outside and shoots treys, good shot blocker on D. Part of supporting cast of a great prep school team...averaged only about 9 points  6 rebounds in high school but lots of potential due to height and mobility/agility:

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/prospect-spotlight-chris-maidoh-2018/

His highlight reel doesn’t resemble Welmer at all. Much more springy and a lot faster. Reminds me of Jon Smith, for anyone who remembers him. Great shot blocking potential, as you mentioned, Menace. 

25 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

His highlight reel doesn’t resemble Welmer at all. Much more springy and a lot faster. Reminds me of Jon Smith, for anyone who remembers him. Great shot blocking potential, as you mentioned, Menace. 

That’s a good point. I associate him with Welmer in the kind of output he lends, and their high school stats are similar...I agree on the style differences and the Jon Smith association is a good one.

Here's the bio I put together for Maidoh. He's a good looking prospect. VERY late bloomer. When he graduated HS in 2018, he was talking to juco and D-II/D-III programs. The prep year has done wonders for him. He still needs to add to his frame, but from the timing of reports I'm seeing, it looks like he's grown about 3 inches in the past 18 months or so. He's still a little raw but he's got tons of potential, given his length, defensive instincts, and ability to shoot it pretty well from the perimeter.

Chris Maidoh - PF, 6-10, 185 - Riverdale Park, MD (Scotland Campus, PA) - Twitter: @Ayeechris_

Offers: SLU, St. Bonaventure, Wyoming, Western Carolina, North Alabama.

Interest: Tulsa, Marshall, Texas-San Antonio, Towson, Canisius.

Latest News: Maidoh received an offer from SLU. (3/11/19)

Scouting Report: Maidoh is a long, versatile stretch forward who can step out and shoot the three. He blocks and disrupts a ton of shots defensively, using his 7-3 wingspan along with good footwork and timing. He's a strong finisher and is developing a more complete offensive skill set. He will also need to add to his frame. He's a very late bloomer; he was a lower division/juco prospect before he graduated from Parkdale HS in Maryland in 2018 and took a prep year at SCS.