Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Get a high school big, a grad transfer big, a redshirt transfer and bank the last scholarship for 2020. We won't have any seniors next year but we'll have three the following year and two juniors. 

We have 3 left to give, correct? Isn't a grad transfer big something that you are arguing against? Wouldn't a grad transfer be a senior?

In this day and age, the only benefit of banking a scholarship is it allows a mid-season transfer. Other than that, you might as well add another grad transfer as long as he's not a problem in the locker room.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Get a high school big, a grad transfer big, a redshirt transfer and bank the last scholarship for 2020. We won't have any seniors next year but we'll have three the following year and two juniors. 

Attrition is gonna happen but as long as keep the best players in this class we'll be fine.

Banking a scholarship makes 0 sense if a GT is available. The scholarship will be available at the end of the year anyway  and you gain an extra player, who at worst is an insurance policy.

the ONLY thought on leaving an open banked scholarship is the availability of an immediate scholarship at semester break if a worthy regular transfer opportunity comes.   i'd rather not though also agreeing with BBF that a grad transfer is better than a hole and accomplishes the same thing.  

i also side with taj that maybe an anthony like player that can provide good practice fodder and be available long on the bench might be the way to go.  

i think it is time to start looking 4 years instead of short term fixes.  

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the ONLY thought on leaving an open banked scholarship is the availability of an immediate scholarship at semester break if a worthy regular transfer opportunity comes.   i'd rather not though also agreeing with BBF that a grad transfer is better than a hole and accomplishes the same thing.  

i also side with taj that maybe an anthony like player that can provide good practice fodder and be available long on the bench might be the way to go.  

i think it is time to start looking 4 years instead of short term fixes.  

I don't think we're looking for a quick fix as much as someone who can come in off the bench and play a smaller role. I think we have a solidified core team and what we're looking for is maybe one or two GTs to come in and contribute here and there but certainly not be relied on at all.

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

We have 3 left to give, correct? Isn't a grad transfer big something that you are arguing against? Wouldn't a grad transfer be a senior?

You are correct. The class is so big I sometimes forget how many we have open.

I've been arguing against multiple grad  transfers. One I'm not crazy about either but since Bell is a project, I can understand it. 

A redshirt transfer big would preclude us from banking a scholarship. That's a coin flip for me. Either way that guy wouldn't play next year. But a redshirt transfer would add another junior to our roster in 2020.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A redshirt transfer big would preclude us from banking a scholarship. That's a coin flip for me. Either way that guy wouldn't play next year. But a redshirt transfer would add another junior to our roster in 2020.

This is the Nevada way of thinking and it works really well. Have a roster of around 11 and always have like 2 kids sitting out.

That way you have talented guys developing and not losing eligibility while also minimizing the amount of players not happy in their role. I bet more mid majors start catching on and doing it soon.

We need 4 bigs for next year's team.  Right now we have 2, one of which might be a bit of a project early in the year.  We need two more. Bigs take longer to develop.  We therefore need 1 big either JUCO, or GT who can contribute early in the year, and another to develop, bring along.  All 4 will be able to practice together, improve themselves and the team.  By conference time, the better two will get the lion's share of PT.

One thing I havent seen discussed is the probability of a summer foreign trip to give these guys extra time to practice, develop, bond.  Has anyone heard of possibilities for location, number of games, etc for this?

mhg

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Coach 314

Good question.  My answer:  Probably they wouldn't feel the best, but Coach Ford could certainly them the truth -- that 3 guys were unexpectedly let go by Dr. P/SLU, that 3 more quit on the team this year and that a GT was brought in as a one (1) year stop gap to help the team from Day 1, that Ford still is counting on them to be the starter once they prove they are ready, that each of the incoming Frosh can beat out the GTs, and that if an incoming Freshman plays equal to (and of better than) the GTs, then Ford will play the Freshman over the GT.

My question to you. What are your thoughts if Ford signs Robert Carpenter and he turns out to be our starting 3 and Coach Ford's favorite player?

It would fit his recruiting style so far.  He's trying to accumulate all the talent he can.  He's going to build the program the best way he knows how.  I was just looking at the youth on the roster for next year (incoming Freshmen and Sophomores) and what adding Grad Transfers into the mix would do.

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

We need 4 bigs for next year's team.  Right now we have 2, one of which might be a bit of a project early in the year.  We need two more. Bigs take longer to develop.  We therefore need 1 big either JUCO, or GT who can contribute early in the year, and another to develop, bring along.  All 4 will be able to practice together, improve themselves and the team.  By conference time, the better two will get the lion's share of PT.

One thing I havent seen discussed is the probability of a summer foreign trip to give these guys extra time to practice, develop, bond.  Has anyone heard of possibilities for location, number of games, etc for this?

mhg

While not ideal, I assume that currently Perkins and Hankton are our 3rd and 4th bigs until we get more additions to the roster?

15 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

mhg

I like this approach. As for a summer trip we are eligible to do it, but, as someone pointed out, there's a question of eligibility for the incoming FR. Not sure how that works if they enroll in the summer. 

45 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I like this approach. As for a summer trip we are eligible to do it, but, as someone pointed out, there's a question of eligibility for the incoming FR. Not sure how that works if they enroll in the summer. 

Who said there was a question about eligibility?

I think that both Hankton and Jacobs have to be developed and played more or else we will have another two scholarships to give away. The more "ready to play" GTs we get the less likely our 4 year recruits are to stay. So, what this is all about is whether we go for a slower pace of progress achieved through development of the  talent we have in the roster vs a rotating door  team dependent upon  recruiting available grad transfers that will last one year and will be gone. I am all for the slower development of talent, rather than the short term "rental" of GTs.

Coach314 likes this

26 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Who said there was a question about eligibility?

I can't recall. But about a month ago this came up and someone posted the FR wouldn't be eligible. I thought they might be if they enrolled in summer classes. I have no idea what the rule is. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I can't recall. But about a month ago this came up and someone posted the FR wouldn't be eligible. I thought they might be if they enrolled in summer classes. I have no idea what the rule is. 

I remember seeing Welmer playing in the Bahamas so freshman can definitely play. Not sure if there's a summer school enrollment requirement though.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I think that both Hankton and Jacobs have to be developed and played more or else we will have another two scholarships to give away. The more "ready to play" GTs we get the less likely our 4 year recruits are to stay. So, what this is all about is whether we go for a slower pace of progress achieved through development of the  talent we have in the roster vs a rotating door  team dependent upon  recruiting available grad transfers that will last one year and will be gone. I am all for the slower development of talent, rather than the short term "rental" of GTs.

You are 100% correct IF they have starter or star talent inside them.  Every great player had to be given an opportunity to show they can do. Maybe they do too. But what if they don’t?  What if they are more of a reach by Ford last Spring?  I will defer to Coach Ford

I find it odd how few Juco transfers there are to D1 every year.  In baseball, there’s always a handful of guys that came from jucos on each D1 team.  Basically they either went to jucos to develop more or get grades up(or go pro faster).  Seems like maybe prep schools take that place in the basketball world?

35 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

You are 100% correct IF they have starter or star talent inside them.  Every great player had to be given an opportunity to show they can do. Maybe they do too. But what if they don’t?  What if they are more of a reach by Ford last Spring?  I will defer to Coach Ford

I fully agree with your post and also defer to coach Ford in this regard. I do want to bring up a point though, talent is not always obvious from the first day a recruit enters the team, it must be given a chance to develop and show itself. Not everyone will show their talent at the same time, some will show talent (and get play minutes) rapidly, others will be slower. This is something that should be kept in mind.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

The even bigger issue than grad transfers for me is the need to add so many players in the spring. You're not getting your 1st or even 2nd choice in the spring. If Coach had known S2 was going to happen, he would gone a lot harder after guards in the fall. Instead,  guys who were on our radar but not priority recruits, like Javon Freeman and Chase Audige, are top freshmen for other mid-major teams.

Coach Ford's pursuit of prep school forwards in this spring cycle is a direct response to the issue of physical readiness, IMO.  Carpenter and Jankovic are more physically mature than Jacobs and Hankton were. As are the kids we signed in the fall.

Coach314 likes this

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The even bigger issue than grad transfers for me is the need to add so many players in the spring. You're not getting your 1st or even 2nd choice in the spring. If Coach had known S2 was going to happen, he would gone a lot harder after guards in the fall. Instead,  guys who were on our radar but not priority recruits, like Javon Freeman and Chase Audige, are top freshmen for other mid-major teams.

Coach Ford's pursuit of prep school forwards in this spring cycle is a direct response to the issue of physical readiness, IMO.  Carpenter and Jankovic are more physically mature than Jacobs and Hankton were. As are the kids we signed in the fall.

3 Star. You obviously have a connection to these young recruits. And obviously there are exceptions to every rule, there are Spring recruits who are late bloomers, who were not noticed earlier due to not playing AAU, injury, lack of opportunity... but are we looking at a lower quality of kids here in the Spring than we looked at in the Fall. 

Would we be wanting Carpenter in the Fall as much as here in the Spring. Same questions with Bell.

We need another big to allow French to play the 4 and Perkins the 3, but if if these Spring guys are more non Day 1 impact players, team fillers and projects, then we should probably go with what we have and then have 3 to 4 to give out next Fall to some real players  

3 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Would we be wanting Carpenter in the Fall as much as here in the Spring. Same questions with Bell.

No, to both but for different reasons. Carpenter is a classic late bloomer. He put on some muscle, played well very late in the summer and that has carried over into the prep school season.

Bell is almost all potential. But as other posters have commented, you have to like the long term prospects of a young man who has transformed his body in so short a time.