Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

And with all due respect to Rick, our teams looked completely lost on offense until he got his guys and his system in here.  I'm still willing to cut Travis some slack given the horrific luck he's had with defections and injuries and situations.... 

These "systems" that you hear coaches talk about boil down to getting players with complimentary skillsets. Majerus knew ahead of time that he wasn't going to be able to recruit at the level he had during his greatest years at Utah. His health wouldn't allow it.

Majerus reverted back to the guard heavy rosters he had earlier in his career. He had multiple guys who could handle the ball. Multiple guys who could shoot.  And he was fanatical about screening. Sure they set screens at Utah but let's be real: Keith Van Horn and Andre Miller didn't need a screen.

Our current roster, because of S2, injuries and defections, doesn't have players with complimentary skillsets. 2020 will be the first year we see what a Ford-designed roster looks like. And because half the rotation will be freshmen, the questions about Ford's "system" will persist. At least with freshmen there's a built in excuse.  Watching seniors struggle on offense is painful.

Pistol likes this

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if you get there early enough, be careful you do not sit in a kahok season ticket holder's seat.   you will be moved.   then considering what seats might be left over by the time you get shoved out of that seat, you might end up in the nosebleed section..  those long time attendees are pretty possessive about their seats.  

I think this year they marked the season ticket seats with reserved signs on them.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Yuri Collins had 32 points, 10 rebounds in St. Mary’s 79-70 win over Quincy Notre Dame (20-8) at The Pit in Quincy. Word from the scene is Collins is good, took over, is the best player QND has seen this season.

not many 5'11" guys getting 10 rebounds.

Hargrove had an ok game last night in a one point loss against Collinsville. He had 19 points, probably 5 or 6 rebounds and 3 blocks. That sounds like a decent line, but he didn't effect the game like he could have. He hoisted 5 or 6 3s and made one. They played him too much on the perimeter and had him release immediately back to defense when a shot goes up eliminating the possibility of offensive rebounding. On offense they don't play to him and he has to create his own which he did very effectively hitting multiple mid range jumpers and at very high percentage. Maybe it was just the game plan to stop Collinsville's fast break. He is a superb athlete and runs the floor better than anyone I've seen on the east side since Darius Miles. He gives great effort and plays unselfishly. He has loads of potential and could be a star with added strength and the right coaching.

24 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Had the opportunity to meet and chat with Hargrove for 10 minutes before our last home game and I cannot express enough how good of a kid and how great of a Billiken I think he can be.  He’s a stand up kid who speaks very articulately and clearly understands the game.  He already views himself as a Billiken and has become close with some of our current key players such as JG, HF, Fred, etc.  He really looks up to Jordan and told me they talk often whether at practice, before games, or just casual texting.

He’s been at every single game and practice possible so far.  As I watch him during games he’s totally locked in, toggling back and forth between watching the game and watching Ford’s coaching strategy, presumably to educate himself on our gameplay strategy to best understand how he can fit in and make an impact as soon as he can slip the Billiken jersey on.

He’s an athletic player with an intelligent mindset. I think he’s going to fit into our basketball club incredibly well and can grow into a really, really special player for us.

I can't recall a recruit/commit, in any of the years I've been attending games, that was as into the games as he has been this season. 

46 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Hargrove had an ok game last night in a one point loss against Collinsville. He had 19 points, probably 5 or 6 rebounds and 3 blocks. That sounds like a decent line, but he didn't effect the game like he could have. He hoisted 5 or 6 3s and made one. They played him too much on the perimeter and had him release immediately back to defense when a shot goes up eliminating the possibility of offensive rebounding. On offense they don't play to him and he has to create his own which he did very effectively hitting multiple mid range jumpers and at very high percentage. Maybe it was just the game plan to stop Collinsville's fast break. He is a superb athlete and runs the floor better than anyone I've seen on the east side since Darius Miles. He gives great effort and plays unselfishly. He has loads of potential and could be a star with added strength and the right coaching

Nice synopsis of Hargrove's game and his team. I think the key to unlocking Hargrove's potential is playing with a point guard. His speed and jumping ability isn't being fully utilized at East Side.  He should be scoring more on alley-oops and pick and rolls.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:55 PM, davidnark said:

Thank you for sharing if coach Ford told him we are all in with no strings attached unlike GT then I have a good feeling he will commit to SLU.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Gut feelings Jimmy Bell Jr Commits during or soon after his visit to campus this weekend 

Ford says we're close on someone. That's as good a guess as anyone.

59 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford says we're close on someone. That's as good a guess as anyone.

I had to visit the 2019 thread to refresh my memory of offers and interests and found Jankovic is only an interest instead of an offer.

I read the scouting report I was wondering what your thoughts on Jankovic is?

My thoughts are chemistry wise with Jimerson signed it works and with so many scholarships available I wish coach Ford would make an offer and take a risk unless he is another Brett Jolly.

Thank you so much for the recruiting information you post on the board.

-a refresher.......thank you Pistol......

Jimmy Bell, Jr. - C, 7-0, 280 - Saginaw, MI (Bella Vista Prep, AZ) - Twitter: @JimmyBellJr15

Offers: SLU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, SIUC, Oakland, IUPUI, Southern Utah.

Interest: Tennessee-Martin.

Latest News: Bell received an offer from SLU. (2/26/19)

Scouting Report: Bell is a massive post player and a force in the paint. He scores effectively with his back to the basket in the low post and has a nice overall offensive skillset, with the ability to face up and make moves in either direction. He has nice soft touch when finishing, too, and could be a more above-the-rim player if he continues to transform his frame. He runs the floor well, is a strong rebounder and shot blocker, and passes well out of the low post. He lost 90 lbs. in the last offseason after committing to a program of cardio workouts, hiking, biking, and diet in addition to basketball workouts. He still has a long way to go before he reaches peak form, but his work ethic and a college strength and conditioning program should get him there. Bell was a 2018 recruit at Arthur Hill HS in Saginaw before transferring to BVP and reclassifying as a 2019 recruit. Rankings: 247Sports Composite - 393.

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I had to visit the 2019 thread to refresh my memory of offers and interests and found Jankovic is only an interest instead of an offer.

I read the scouting report I was wondering what your thoughts on Jankovic is?

My thoughts are chemistry wise with Jimerson signed it works and with so many scholarships available I wish coach Ford would make an offer and take a risk unless he is another Brett Jolly.

Thank you so much for the recruiting information you post on the board.

I'm high on Jankovic. I think he's really skilled and would be a nice fit on our roster, a stretch 4 who can hit from mid-range and the perimeter, but who's also skilled off the dribble. Draws a lot of fouls, too, and he shoots them well for a big. Like any other young Euro big, the biggest adjustments at the college level will be the physicality and defense. He's being recruited by a bunch of schools, but they're mostly holding off in terms of offers. I hope we have some kind of agreement with him. I'd love to sign him, and he's already got a good buddy and future roommate lined up - and "assist maker for me", as Jankovic himself put it.

CBFan likes this

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And Croatians take their hoops very seriously. I'm hoping for a Rob Loe clone. 

Me too