Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, almaman said:

How can a 7 footer 3+*s only have 5 offers and we are the highest profile some 40 weeks till beginning of his first college season?

SLU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, SIUC, Oakland, IUPUI, Southern Utah.

Am I misunderstanding?  Looks like more than 5 offers and we aren't the highest profile offer

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

SLU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, SIUC, Oakland, IUPUI, Southern Utah.

Am I misunderstanding?  Looks like more than 5 offers and we aren't the highest profile offer

when I clicked that link in Stu's tweet they're were 5 teams listed including us, UNLV, 3 others. Figured that had to be wrong, thanks

Losing CG will hurt even more next year. The high ranking/stars of CG made him unique - an immediate contributor as a Frosh and who then be a returning, solid, experienced player as a Soph - when we lose Foreman and Bess. Asking this of a Spring recruit Freshman is unfair - despite our need.

Do I wish Gordon and our transfers were still here? Absolutely.  But at some point the question needed to be answered: can Coach Ford win with good but not great talent? 

I chose this username for a reason.  We have a lot greater access to recruits ranked 150 to 350 than we do Top 50 players.  Three star recruits have always been the lifeblood of this program.  We just have never been able to sustain that level of recruiting for more than 3 years.  Coach Ford can get good high school talent every year.  But because the rotation has been dominated by a top 50 recruit and transfers we still don't know if he can win with that level of talent.

That's why this current recruiting class is so exciting to me.  It's more representative of the talent level we can access.  And because the transfers are graduating, Coach Ford has no choice but to play them. When they are juniors and it's their time to lead, they will have a ton of experience.

DirtyRican, Zink, Schasz and 3 others like this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Is anyone planning on going to collinsville to see Hargrove play tonight? I haven’t been to a high school basketball game since I graduated high school so I really have no idea what to expect. Should I arrive early? I assume I should have cash for a ticket? 

Show up 45 min early and you should be fine. Collinsville has a big gym.

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is anyone planning on going to collinsville to see Hargrove play tonight? I haven’t been to a high school basketball game since I graduated high school so I really have no idea what to expect. Should I arrive early? I assume I should have cash for a ticket? 

Enjoy the “Purple Palace” $5 bucks gets you in. Should be a nice crowd, both are ranked in Illinois 

if you get there early enough, be careful you do not sit in a kahok season ticket holder's seat.   you will be moved.   then considering what seats might be left over by the time you get shoved out of that seat, you might end up in the nosebleed section..  those long time attendees are pretty possessive about their seats.  

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if you get there early enough, be careful you do not sit in a kahok season ticket holder's seat.   you will be moved.   then considering what seats might be left over by the time you get shoved out of that seat, you might end up in the nosebleed section..  those long time attendees are pretty possessive about their seats.  

what weirdos 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

"Nosebleed" in a high school gym?

33 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think I’m more excited for Terrence Hargrove than I was CAG (revisionist history most likely). He just seems like he’s going to be awesome in all respects 

i totally agree.   i think both hargrove and perkins are capable of replacing bess within a year or two.   and that is a tall order to fill.   

you can go back and look, i was never more than luke warm at best over gordon.   i saw the physical potential, but his actions in h.s. from quitting on his teamates at vianny to his stunts at webster led me to believe he had issues.   i was hopeful an inspiring coach like ford could bring him around.   obviously that wasnt possible.   

42 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

"Nosebleed" in a high school gym?

YES -- certainly possible, though maybe not around here. 

trivia moment:  did you know that 13 of the 15 largest HS gyms in America are -- where?  (hint -- I've been in a number of the top 10...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Do I wish Gordon and our transfers were still here? Absolutely.  But at some point the question needed to be answered: can Coach Ford win with good but not great talent? 

I chose this username for a reason.  We have a lot greater access to recruits ranked 150 to 350 than we do Top 50 players.  Three star recruits have always been the lifeblood of this program.  We just have never been able to sustain that level of recruiting for more than 3 years.  Coach Ford can get good high school talent every year.  But because the rotation has been dominated by a top 50 recruit and transfers we still don't know if he can win with that level of talent.

That's why this current recruiting class is so exciting to me.  It's more representative of the talent level we can access.  And because the transfers are graduating, Coach Ford has no choice but to play them. When they are juniors and it's their time to lead, they will have a ton of experience.

I do think Ford came to SLU with the idea of making a big splash in the first 2-3 years and re-establish his rep as a quick turn around guy. He just got done in by some very bad luck. It wasn't poor recruiting by any means. Actually, I can't remember being as excited about his level of recruiting than any coach in recent memory including Rick's. Rick went about recruiting a different way. Get his type of guys, coach them up, and lay a systematic foundation for future success. Very different from Ford's initial approach of you win with players whether they be transfers, difficult 4 stars, and, now, a JUCO. Although, I am really excited about landing Perkins who looks like he could provide immediate help.

No doubt Ford is not the coaching genius Rick was, few are. We'll just have to see if next year and the following two or three how good a coach he is. We know he can recruit at a high level, now, we need to find out more about the coaching and teaching part. That said, I don't think he's a lousy coach or teacher by any means. I'd rate him above average.  He seems to be a great motivator and our guys are very well coached on Defense and now just hoping to see the same from our offense schemes.

Cincybill likes this

3 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

YES -- certainly possible, though maybe not around here. 

trivia moment:  did you know that 13 of the 15 largest HS gyms in America are -- where?  (hint -- I've been in a number of the top 10...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States

I didn't have to hit the link.  I have been to about half of them.  Played in one.

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I didn't have to hit the link.  I have been to about half of them.  Played in one.

Just googled New Castles who is #1. That is a very deceiving gym.  Looks like 4k-5k not anywhere close to 9,325

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No doubt Ford is not the coaching genius Rick was, few are. We'll just have to see if next year and the following two or three how good a coach he is. We know he can recruit at a high level, now, we need to find out more about the coaching and teaching part. That said, I don't think he's a lousy coach or teacher by any means. I'd rate him above average.  He seems to be a great motivator and our guys are very well coached on Defense and now just hoping to see the same from our offense schemes.

And with all due respect to Rick, our teams looked completely lost on offense until he got his guys and his system in here.  I'm still willing to cut Travis some slack given the horrific luck he's had with defections and injuries and situations.... 

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I do think Ford came to SLU with the idea of making a big splash in the first 2-3 years and re-establish his rep as a quick turn around guy. He just got done in by some very bad luck. It wasn't poor recruiting by any means. Actually, I can't remember being as excited about his level of recruiting than any coach in recent memory including Rick's. Rick went about recruiting a different way. Get his type of guys, coach them up, and lay a systematic foundation for future success. Very different from Ford's initial approach of you win with players whether they be transfers, difficult 4 stars, and, now, a JUCO. Although, I am really excited about landing Perkins who looks like he could provide immediate help.

imo rickma was an ok recruiter but he was an off the chart practice, off season and preparation coach.    no one in the history of college basketball could prepare a team like rickma.    proof of above is crews first two seasons.   we all now know crews did nothing but stay out of the way.  that was all rickma. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sounds like you have been there.  Did you visit the Indy HS Hall of Fame?  Lot's of interesting stuff in there.

yep, just drove by on google maps, then went inside on the new google features.  Cool place, I'll be back.