Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he would be a project as well.   but obviously that size is something you cant teach.   i'd take either one of them.  

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Looks like he has the ability to shoot from mid and 3pt range. Only thing that is cause for concern is that he looks like a big digs in a small pond in these videos. But these are the kind of risks you gotta take on spring recruits 

I appears if he gets fouled he might be able to hit free throws and I like when I see him making foul shots.

With our teams needs he is worth the risk get him in for a visit and a verbal Ford only plays 9 or 10 however a big will see some time if they can defend.

dennis_w likes this

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-explains the mention of Baltimore on the recruiting stops

Yeah, seems like he'll be paying Carpenter a visit. He's heading there this weekend, right?

The last two offers are both to Michigan kids playing at prep schools a long way from home. That part might be a coincidence; these teams sometimes show up at the same weekend events.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Interesting that we're offering a Bella Vista Prep kid, too. We've shown interest (allegedly, at some point) in Jeron Artest, the son of Metta World Peace f.k.a. Ron Artest, and a junior there. We've also offered Zion Harmon, who is playing for BVP on weekends (he attends Marshall County HS in KY).

Profile for Jimmy Bell coming this afternoon. (Side note: I'm not liking the common names of the last two offers. Players are a lot easier to research when they have less common names like Gibson Jimerson.)

found this:

7'0 280 lbs Center Averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 assists per game. Jimmy came to Bella Vista 7'0 370 lbs. He's worked hard to lose 90 lbs and is continuing to lose weight and transform his body. He's a great athlete for his size as well. We look forward to more highlights from the Big Fella in the near future!

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, seems like he'll be paying Carpenter a visit. He's heading there this weekend, right?

The last two offers are both to Michigan kids playing at prep schools a long way from home. That part might be a coincidence; these teams sometimes show up at the same weekend events.

Think Coach will be in the DMV next week for the GAC championship Feb 28-March 1. Will allow him to scout multiple prospects at once, including the junior class.

I love this time of year. Recruiting news will come fast and furious the next couple of weeks. Coaches have to cram a lot of recruiting in before our postseason starts.

Pistol likes this

I need to get a better sense of other schools looking at him, but here's what I've got so far for Bell.

Jimmy Bell, Jr. - C, 7-0, 280 - Saginaw, MI (Bella Vista Prep, AZ) - Twitter: @JimmyBellJr15

Offers: SLU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, SIUC, Oakland, IUPUI, Southern Utah.

Interest: Tennessee-Martin.

Latest News: Bell received an offer from SLU. (2/21/19)

Scouting Report: Bell is a massive post player and a force in the paint. He scores effectively with his back to the basket in the low post and has a nice overall offensive skillset, with the ability to face up and make moves in either direction. He has nice soft touch when finishing, too, and could be a more above-the-rim player if he continues to transform his frame. He runs the floor well, is a strong rebounder and shot blocker, and passes well out of the low post. He lost 90 lbs. in the last offseason after committing to a program of cardio workouts, hiking, biking, and diet in addition to basketball workouts. He still has a long way to go before he reaches peak form, but his work ethic and a college strength and conditioning program should get him there. Bell was a 2018 recruit at Arthur Hill HS in Saginaw before transferring to BVP and reclassifying as a 2019 recruit. Rankings: 247Sports Composite - 393.

It's also worth noting that his father passed away last year. He was in the middle of his major weight loss program at the time. He's dealt with some pretty tough stuff and has come a long way.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I need to get a better sense of other schools looking at him, but here's what I've got so far for Bell.

Jimmy Bell, Jr. - C, 7-0, 280 - Saginaw, MI (Bella Vista Prep, AZ) - Twitter: @JimmyBellJr15

Offers: SLU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, SIUC, Oakland, IUPUI, Southern Utah.

Interest: Tennessee-Martin.

Latest News: Bell received an offer from SLU. (2/21/19)

Scouting Report: Bell is a massive post player and a force in the paint. He scores effectively with his back to the basket in the low post and has a nice overall offensive skillset, with the ability to face up and make moves in either direction. He has nice soft touch when finishing, too, and could be a more above-the-rim player if he continues to transform his frame. He runs the floor well, is a strong rebounder and shot blocker, and passes well out of the low post. He lost 90 lbs. in the last offseason after committing to a program of cardio workouts, hiking, biking, and diet in addition to basketball workouts. He still has a long way to go before he reaches peak form, but his work ethic and a college strength and conditioning program should get him there. Bell was a 2018 recruit at Arthur Hill HS in Saginaw before transferring to BVP and reclassifying as a 2019 recruit. Rankings: 247Sports Composite - 393.

It's also worth noting that his father passed away last year. He was in the middle of his major weight loss program at the time. He's dealt with some pretty tough stuff and has come a long way.

I am impressed by anyone who can work that hard on weight loss and conditioning. He just might have a huge upside with that kind of work ethic

BIG BILL FAN likes this

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Wasn't Zion Harmon rated one of the top PG's in the nation? 

Yeah, one of the top couple in the 2021 class, although he's talking about reclassifying to 2020. This kid is not without his complicating factors, but he's a blast to watch.

Bell and Carpenter may be the two bigs we need for the Bills. Hope we get them both. Bell appears to be faster and nimbler than Jitoboh, and even better appears to be interested in SLU (Jitoboh would prefer to go elsewhere). Personally, I want them both, good recruiting work.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

I am impressed by anyone who can work that hard on weight loss and conditioning. He just might have a huge upside with that kind of work ethic

I loved what he said in his Tweet: "Blessed to have earned an offer..." Love that attitude.

Mid-April is next signing period from what I recall of @Pistol's timeline which is annoying considering how genuinely excited Jimmy seems to be about the offer. 

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

2 bigs for next year will be huge. Will be great to have French as an upperclassmen teach them

you mean ".....would be huge......"

no commits of any sort at this time.  

12 minutes ago, almaman said:

How can a 7 footer 3+*s only have 5 offers and we are the highest profile some 40 weeks till beginning of his first college season?

Well it sounds like he was nearly 400 lbs before losing a ton of weight. That could’ve been scaring a lot of programs off. 7 footer or not, if you can’t even run you can’t play D1 college basketball.