Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Not quite.

I expected more improvement on the offensively and a DPOY capable performance on the other end.  Frankly he's come up short.

3 star beat me to it above, but I would agree. Had the French of the non conference season played like the French of the conference we'd certainly have fewer losses. French has been what I expected or possibly even better of late

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

3 star beat me to it above, but I would agree. Had the French of the non conference season played like the French of the conference we'd certainly have fewer losses. French has been what I expected or possibly even better of late

Do you think Gordon's presence had an effect on his game? I do. Now a guy that needs to up his game is Foreman. French is back. Foreman's gone MIA. 

slufanskip likes this

8 hours ago, Compton said:

French hasn't met expectations? 

Others have alluded to this, but check the date on that @Pistol post.  He posted that French has disappointing on 1/9/19.

French prior to 1/9/19:

PPG: 7.1

FG%: 41.5%

FT%: 30.6%

RPG: 7.9

BPG: 1.4

TOV: 1.9

French since 1/9/19:

PPG: 14.0

FG%: 57.5%

FT%: 47.6% (amazing that this is such a large improvement)

RPG: 8.8

BPG: 1.5

TOV: 1.8

Not fair to try to call someone out on a post that is 2 weeks old when French has been beast since the first post.

Pistol likes this

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Do you think Gordon's presence had an effect on his game? I do. Now a guy that needs to up his game is Foreman. French is back. Foreman's gone MIA. 

Gordon seemed to always receive the pass at the elbow, where french likes to get it.   Also, having gordon meant two more players in the paint. 

BlueAndWhite likes this

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Absolutely.  CG got some of the feeds that would have gone to French.  CG got some of the rebounds too.  Also, CG was another big body in the lane.  Getting the game to both made the offense a little more complex - now it's easier -- get the ball to French.

The view of our team from the optimistic blue kool-aide drinking fan.

Bess is the Best, French is the double double werewolf the only disappointment is I thought he could get to 50 percent foul shooting.  JGood has not scored consistently but Coach Ford says he does a lot for our team and is too hard on himself.  DJ has regressed and is hard to figure out what is is trying to do.  Isabell is not the scorer that I thought he could be but he penetrates and dishes off the ball to get assists that it makes up for the scoring and makes him harder to defend. Fred Thatch is exactly what I thought he could be a strong freshman that defends but is inconsistent scoring he is an impact player.  Dion Wiley when he can play has exceeded my expectations I thought he would be good for 1 or 2 threes a game.  Hankton has exceeded my expectations I thought he would come in as a mop up role on blowouts and he has been much more than that and well help our team when healthy.  Jacobs has not played and contributed like I thought he would.  I figured Jacobs would score but have trouble with turnovers and defense.  Jacobs has missed a dunk and free throws.

I am not disappointed in anyone on the current roster but there are three that are not on the roster that I am disappointed at.  Santos after going through S2 with the team and sitting out a year you get kicked off the team.  Gordon quit after one semester and Thor shows up late cannot get in a game and quits after one semester.  If all three were on the roster today our team is much stronger and no doubt in my mind that our team would be dominating with one loss and would run away with the A10 title those 3 are a total disappointment.

Zink and almaman like this

With Thor gone, here are the 10 players currently committed for next year...

1. Goodwin, Yuri

2. Thatch, Jacobs, Jimmerson

3. Perkins, Hargrove

4. French, Hankton, Wellmer

Freshmen: Three

Sophomores: Three

Juniors: Four 

This roster is STILL screaming for another shooter. Also, we'll have no seniors. Not sure why some are  against grad transfers, but our current roster would be in big trouble if we didn't have Isabell and Wiley. Here is my wish list for the 3 or 4 spots possibly open...

1) Grad transfer shooting guard who will start. I really like what Thatch brings defensively, but I like him better as a 6th man. I don't think a potential starting backcourt of Goodwin and Thatch provides enough perimeter scoring.

2) Undersized big who can score in the paint, ideally from JUCO or grad transfer

3) Best high school big you can find, possibly can find one in prep school or overseas. It doesn't have to be one to make a big impact as a freshman, just provide some depth and provide some interior defense.

4) ** Figuring Wellmer is done, hit the transfer market and find the best one regardless of position to sit for a year.  IF somehow Wellmer's health is trending in a positive direction and he wants to return, it wouldn't be the worst thing to keep him around as the 13th man for one more year. 

SShoe, SLU_Nick and Zink like this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

This roster is STILL screaming for another shooter. Also, we'll have no seniors. Not sure why some are  against grad transfers, but our current roster would be in big trouble if we didn't have Isabell and Wiley. Here is my wish list for the 3 or 4 spots possibly open...

1) Grad transfer shooting guard who will start. I really like what Thatch brings defensively, but I like him better as a 6th man. I don't think a potential starting backcourt of Goodwin and Thatch provides enough perimeter scoring.

I still expect Thatch to really turn it around any second on the offensive side.  He could become a 3 point threat still. 

I expect jimmerson to play a lot if not start and at this time i think we are fine at the wing.   I would use perkins and hargrove both until they prove they cant guard the opponents other big.

Imo we need two bigs that can contribute right away.   Beyond that take the best player(s) available.   

Do not take a player just to fill a spot, i.e. thor.   If nothing available hold for the inevitable wanna transfer at xmas.

I do not disagree that Welmer could possibly be well enough next season to get to do some practices like he did this season, but it would be a miracle if he ever managed to go through the practices and actually get to play, even a single game. I do not think he should be a scholarship player for next year, enough is enough. He has a lot of desire to play, and he has a lot of courage, but no thank you.

52 minutes ago, ACE said:

With Thor gone, here are the 10 players currently committed for next year...

1. Goodwin, Yuri

2. Thatch, Jacobs, Jimmerson

3. Perkins, Hargrove

4. French, Hankton, Wellmer

Freshmen: Three

Sophomores: Three

Juniors: Four 

2) Undersized big who can score in the paint, ideally from JUCO or grad transfer

3) Best high school big you can find, possibly can find one in prep school or overseas. It doesn't have to be one to make a big impact as a freshman, just provide some depth and provide some interior defense.

4) ** Figuring Wellmer is done, hit the transfer market and find the best one regardless of position to sit for a year.  IF somehow Wellmer's health is trending in a positive direction and he wants to return, it wouldn't be the worst thing to keep him around as the 13th man for one more year. 

1) I'm sure the coaching staff is thinking the same way. I seriously doubt that the plan is to replace Isabell and Wiley with Jimerson alone.  Rent another scoring guard for a year and give Thatch more time to develop offensively.  An experienced scorer, Thatch and Jimerson also gives us better class balance than bringing in another freshman.  We'll have to wait at least 2 months to find out who's available.

2) There's only one undersized juco big who fits this description and plays in our sphere of influence -- Lony Francis at Vincennes.  Not sure what his academic situation is.

3) We've already had Jimerson's 6'9 teammate Oton Jankovic on campus in addition to  6'11 290lb Jason Jitoboh, so again I think the coaching staff agrees with you.  These are typically the kinds of bigs available in the spring:  guys whose production doesn't match their skill level (Jankovic) or bigs who need to get in better shape (Jitoboh).  The exception would be 6'8 Julius Marble out of Dallas who just had an assistant coach from Michigan State watch one of his games.  Marble is probably the best unsigned big in Texas right now.

4)  I'd rent a grad transfer big to play defense and score garbage buckets instead of wasting time on the juco market.  You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. I agree that we should also go after the best big man transfer available.  Bank the 13th scholarship and offer a 2 year transfer in 2020 when you have minutes to sell. 

By the time the transfer becomes eligible, French will have graduated and there will be plenty of minutes available.  In addition, we've already got a 2020 scholarship earmarked for a high school big, hopefully Davion Bradford.

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not disagree that Welmer could possibly be well enough next season to get to do some practices like he did this season, but it would be a miracle if he ever managed to go through the practices and actually get to play, even a single game. I do not think he should be a scholarship player for next year, enough is enough. He has a lot of desire to play, and he has a lot of courage, but no thank you.

I inferred from the Post-Dispatch story on Welmer attempting to return at some point this year that he has no intention of coming back next year.

He's already graduated with one degree and is getting another bachelor's degree this year.  After four years attending SLU, he's ready to get on with his life.

Perhaps he'll try to play this season — maybe some token time on Senior Day — but it's highly unlikely he'll be a key player for the Bills again.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I inferred from the Post-Dispatch story on Welmer attempting to return at some point this year that he has no intention of coming back next year.

He's already graduated with one degree and is getting another bachelor's degree this year.  After four years attending SLU, he's ready to get on with his life.

Perhaps he'll try to play this season — maybe some token time on Senior Day — but it's highly unlikely he'll be a key player for the Bills again.

Ok, then a good opportunity to land an impact transfer in the spring with the 13th spot.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I expect jimmerson to play a lot if not start and at this time i think we are fine at the wing.   I would use perkins and hargrove both until they prove they cant guard the opponents other big.

Imo we need two bigs that can contribute right away.   Beyond that take the best player(s) available.   

Do not take a player just to fill a spot, i.e. thor.   If nothing available hold for the inevitable wanna transfer at xmas.

That is interesting, Roy. If Gibson is starting I don't know if that is a good or bad sign for this roster.

Outside of Goodwin and French I have no idea who starts next year. 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Maybe we'll hear Rammer say "Goodwin get's ball in to Dr Welmer..."

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That is interesting, Roy. If Gibson is starting I don't know if that is a good or bad sign for this roster.

Outside of Goodwin and French I have no idea who starts next year. 

There are no guarantees in life but Javonte Perkins just scored 42 points on only 23 shots against the #4 juco team in America. I like his chances.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are no guarantees in life but Javonte Perkins just scored 42 points on only 23 shots against the #4 juco team in America. I like his chances.

This minute I'd peg the starting lineup for next year at Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, Hankton, French.  I little light on shooting at the guard positions, but you make up for it with Hankton as the stretch 4.  Of course, I'm expecting us to bring in more recruits/transfers/grad transfers to fill out the roster which will change the outlook.

This assume Welmer is done which seems like a safe bet.  The Stu article about him earlier this season made it sound like he was hoping to get to play this season and then he'd call it a career rather than risk further injury.  

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yeah, Perkins, Goodwin and French would appear to be certain starters, with the spots currently occupied by Foreman and Isabell up in the air.

I know Perkins is primarily a 3, but can he handle the ball well enough to play some 2 in small doses?

8 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Others have alluded to this, but check the date on that @Pistol post.  He posted that French has disappointing on 1/9/19.

Not fair to try to call someone out on a post that is 2 weeks old when French has been beast since the first post.

^Good point. I was catching up on the thread and didn't realize it jumped back a coupla weeks. Seems like all of the threads have been cranking along more regularly recently. 

But yeah - fair point on French really stepping up these last few weeks / post-CG. 

7 hours ago, ACE said:

Not sure why some are  against grad transfers, but our current roster would be in big trouble if we didn't have Isabell and Wiley. 

Ace

Good post.  I was just thinking similar things this morning had started to work on a new topic/thread but like yours right here:

Here's the reason why some are against Grad Transfers

1.   Rasheed Anthony - just not any good.  Luis Santos - bad habits/mind elsewhere/never played/probably never even thinks about SLU

2.   Lost opportunity.  Unlike you and 3 Star, I would rather give playing time to Thatch (high upside) rather than use him as a "6th man"  vs. another 1 year guy. 

Inheriting the Jim Crews roster and then being hit with S2 left Coach Ford with very few options.  To me, Coach is doing great -- better than anticipated.  Yes, you're right, where would we be without Isabell & Wiley?  I am sure thankful for both.  Can I complain that Isabell's initial games were more selfish, not as good as recently and that Goodwin lost out important PG minutes to him?  Can I complain that Wiley missed a large part of games?  Sure, but glad to have them.  And again, Isabell and Wiley turned out alot better than our prior guys.

Next year, though, things won't be so dire.   Getting another guy to take minutes away from Thatch doesn't sound so good to me.  We will lose quality Frosh and Sophs by continually relying upon Grad Transfers.  And Perkins is a JUCO so we will have 3 Juniors in Goodwin, French and Perkins.  We will also have Thatch, Hankton and Jacobs who will need to play -- not delay their growth by sitting behind a Grad Transfer.   Same we our Frosh:  Yuri, Jimmerson and Hargrove.  Teams only really 7 to 8 players to win and 10 to practice - develop.  The bottom 3 will be unhappy and want to look elsewhere no matter what.  I am just concerned that some very talented youth may fall into the bottom 3 and leave -- all because we bring in an average Grad Transfer.

And classes have a way of balancing themselves out.  And if we have an additional spot because of a guy like Wellmer, maybe we consider getting another regular transfer:  Bess, Henriquez, Graves, Foreman, but to, stay away from future Grad Transfers for the most part.