Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a full refresh in the Recruiting Lists thread, and here are some 2019 updates:

-Jitoboh had a big game this weekend with a lot of scouts in attendance but I haven't seen anything about new interest for him lately.

-Tony Johnson received an offer from Minnesota. They've been involved for a while now.

-Treyon Johnson is now at On Point Academy in Oklahoma, playing a prep and juco roster. He was at Prosser in Chicago and his recruitment was silent since his SLU offer in May. I don't know whether we're involved but he's 6-11, 255, so he's worth monitoring.

-Arkansas has turned up its recruitment of Dischon Thomas and will be out to see him this week.

Not a whole lot of other substantial news but I'll keep tracking the names we know already and will continue to look for more that we might be involved with.

• 3 weeks later...

-okay, we have 3 and possibly 4 to fill? losing/lost Bess, Wiley, Isabell, Foreman, Santos, Gordon and possibly Welmer - signed Perkins, Hargrove and Collins - this is part of why you never stop recruiting - bigs can get time next season, let's get quality

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-okay, we have 3 and possibly 4 to fill? losing/lost Bess, Wiley, Isabell, Foreman, Santos, Gordon and possibly Welmer - signed Perkins, Hargrove and Collins - this is part of why you never stop recruiting - bigs can get time next season, let's get quality

Whatever the number, we will have a massive changeover AGAIN next season. 

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

You forgot our American Sniper, Gibson Jimerson.  

Who are the bigs that we have legitimate chances to recruit for either the spring of 2019 or early period of 2019. We sure do have minutes to offer next season with the departure of Gordon and graduation of Foreman.

We have 4 commitments and probably 3 scholarships left to give. Hargrove, Collins, Jimerson, and Perkins would've been a full class had Santos and Gordon remained and Welmer been healthy enough to play next year, but now we're looking at almost as significant a roster overhaul as we've undergone each of the past couple seasons. And of course all of the unexpected holes to fill have come from the bigs - also keeping in mind that Foreman will graduate and has not yet been replaced on paper.

Frustrating.

We may see the staff chase grad transfers again in the spring. Not ideal, but we will have 0 seniors on the roster and the only true big on paper right now would be French; Hankton is the closest thing to a second. So they may go for guys who are ready right away, given that most young bigs are pretty raw.

If I were calling the shots and just chasing bigs with these remaining scholarships, I'm looking for at least one stretch 4, someone who can step out and shoot it. This offense needs shooters.

As for available 2019 bigs we've already recruited or are recruiting, here's what I've got:

Jason Jitoboh - 6-11, 270 - Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (TN) - Huge, a little raw but fairly skilled, will need a ton of conditioning work but has serious potential as a 10-and-10 kind of guy. Was down to Florida, Louisville, Tennessee, and Illinois, but all four programs seemed to be going different directions with their frontcourts (i.e. he wasn't a priority as they won on higher-level names), so he reopened his recruitment and SLU got involved this fall.

Treyon Johnson - 6-11, 255 - On Point Academy (OK) - Very late bloomer with a big frame. There was literally no noise around his recruitment after SLU offered in May, and suddenly he popped up on the roster at a prep/charter school in Oklahoma that plays other fifth-year programs and Jucos. He transferred out of Prosser HS in Chicago. There's still not much about his recruitment or how he's playing, and I have no idea where SLU stands with him.

Julius Marble - 6-9, 220 - Dallas Jesuit - Active power forward with some athleticism and a fairly well-rounded game. His recruitment has been up and down; one day he's at Oklahoma, a few weeks later he's at Oral Roberts (where a couple friends/teammates committed). He's putting up big numbers for a good Jesuit squad this season. There's a poster here who seems to know a little about him, but I'm forgetting who that was.

Anderson Mirambeaux - 6-7, 275 - Teays Valley Christian (WV) - He's putting up big numbers for TVC so far this year and is a nice, active all-around player but he needs major work in terms of conditioning. He's really overweight. He uses that big frame to his advantage and I know there are a few other heavy bigs in the A10 but he needs work. We also offered him so long ago, I have to imagine this is a stale offer.

Harry Morrice - 6-11, 230 - Beckley Prep (WV) - He came over from Scotland for a prep year and is a really nice looking big man. Really moves well and has a polished all-around game with some shooting ability, as well. Creighton was sniffing around a couple months ago. I don't know where we're at with him but I like his potential.

Kasean Pryor - 6-9, 190 - Pioneer (MI) - I have to think it's a stretch to call him a big, and I don't know that we've got room for him assuming we'll have Hargrove, Perkins, and Hankton available. He's too skinny right now but would be a nice stretch 4 if he could bulk up. He's talented; I just don't know how he'd fit on this roster because he has more of a wing forward game at the moment.

Dischon Thomas - 6-9, 207 - Hillcrest (AZ) - Thomas was committed to Nevada but they made it clear to him that they'd made other plans - they keep getting better and Musselmann has recruited up quickly. That said, they're missing out on a talented PF with a nice frame to build on. He's been a double-double machine for Hillcrest this year and Arkansas has gotten involved lately.

Mahamadou Diawara - 6-10, 225 - Massanutten Military Academy (VA) - We're said by one of the recruiting services to be interested, and I'm not sure what the date on that was (i.e. might be stale). But he's a big, long player with a high ceiling. Wouldn't hurt to have a Malian guy around if we're recruiting those young DeSmet bigs, too. Arkansas, East Carolina, and Charlotte were the most involved last time I checked.

Oton Jankovic - 6-9, 205 - Montverde (FL) - He's a Montverde CBD teammate of Gibson Jimerson who accompanied Jimerson on his official visit, when he committed. Then Jankovic came back for his own OV. He's also taken one to Georgia Tech. He's a pretty sound, versatile forward with a nice feel for the game and the ability to step out and shoot it.

Note: I haven't done a recruiting refresh in over two weeks because I've been busy with work and the holidays, so some of this info might be dated. I'll update soon.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Dischon Thomas - 6-9, 207 - Hillcrest (AZ) - Thomas was committed to Nevada but they made it clear to him that they'd made other plans - they keep getting better and Musselmann has recruited up quickly. That said, they're missing out on a talented PF with a nice frame to build on. He's been a double-double machine for Hillcrest this year and Arkansas has gotten involved lately.

Wonder is Jacobs could get involved. 

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We have 4 commitments and probably 3 scholarships left to give. Hargrove, Collins, Jimerson, and Perkins would've been a full class had Santos and Gordon remained and Welmer been healthy enough to play next year, but now we're looking at almost as significant a roster overhaul as we've undergone each of the past couple seasons. And of course all of the unexpected holes to fill have come from the bigs - also keeping in mind that Foreman will graduate and has not yet been replaced on paper.

Frustrating.

We may see the staff chase grad transfers again in the spring. Not ideal, but we will have 0 seniors on the roster and the only true big on paper right now would be French; Hankton is the closest thing to a second. So they may go for guys who are ready right away, given that most young bigs are pretty raw.

If I were calling the shots and just chasing bigs with these remaining scholarships, I'm looking for at least one stretch 4, someone who can step out and shoot it. This offense needs shooters.

As for available 2019 bigs we've already recruited or are recruiting, here's what I've got:

Jason Jitoboh - 6-11, 270 - Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (TN) - Huge, a little raw but fairly skilled, will need a ton of conditioning work but has serious potential as a 10-and-10 kind of guy. Was down to Florida, Louisville, Tennessee, and Illinois, but all four programs seemed to be going different directions with their frontcourts (i.e. he wasn't a priority as they won on higher-level names), so he reopened his recruitment and SLU got involved this fall.

Treyon Johnson - 6-11, 255 - On Point Academy (OK) - Very late bloomer with a big frame. There was literally no noise around his recruitment after SLU offered in May, and suddenly he popped up on the roster at a prep/charter school in Oklahoma that plays other fifth-year programs and Jucos. He transferred out of Prosser HS in Chicago. There's still not much about his recruitment or how he's playing, and I have no idea where SLU stands with him.

Julius Marble - 6-9, 220 - Dallas Jesuit - Active power forward with some athleticism and a fairly well-rounded game. His recruitment has been up and down; one day he's at Oklahoma, a few weeks later he's at Oral Roberts (where a couple friends/teammates committed). He's putting up big numbers for a good Jesuit squad this season. There's a poster here who seems to know a little about him, but I'm forgetting who that was.

Anderson Mirambeaux - 6-7, 275 - Teays Valley Christian (WV) - He's putting up big numbers for TVC so far this year and is a nice, active all-around player but he needs major work in terms of conditioning. He's really overweight. He uses that big frame to his advantage and I know there are a few other heavy bigs in the A10 but he needs work. We also offered him so long ago, I have to imagine this is a stale offer.

Harry Morrice - 6-11, 230 - Beckley Prep (WV) - He came over from Scotland for a prep year and is a really nice looking big man. Really moves well and has a polished all-around game with some shooting ability, as well. Creighton was sniffing around a couple months ago. I don't know where we're at with him but I like his potential.

Kasean Pryor - 6-9, 190 - Pioneer (MI) - I have to think it's a stretch to call him a big, and I don't know that we've got room for him assuming we'll have Hargrove, Perkins, and Hankton available. He's too skinny right now but would be a nice stretch 4 if he could bulk up. He's talented; I just don't know how he'd fit on this roster because he has more of a wing forward game at the moment.

Mahamadou Diawara - 6-10, 225 - Massanutten Military Academy (VA) - We're said by one of the recruiting services to be interested, and I'm not sure what the date on that was (i.e. might be stale). But he's a big, long player with a high ceiling. Wouldn't hurt to have a Malian guy around if we're recruiting those young DeSmet bigs, too. Arkansas, East Carolina, and Charlotte were the most involved last time I checked.

Oton Jankovic - 6-9, 205 - Montverde (FL) - He's a Montverde CBD teammate of Gibson Jimerson who accompanied Jimerson on his official visit, when he committed. Then Jankovic came back for his own OV. He's also taken one to Georgia Tech. He's a pretty sound, versatile forward with a nice feel for the game and the ability to step out and shoot it.

Note: I haven't done a recruiting refresh in over two weeks because I've been busy with work and the holidays, so some of this info might be dated. I'll update soon.

This is like a weird xmas movie. We open are main present it brakes before the tree is down and now dad gets to pick up the best present for us out of what is left in the stores.

With the NEW, or  seemingly unpredictable rule regarding transfers needing to sit out a year, that should open up the possibility of transfers who have additional eligibility to play for us without sitting a year.  We will have playing time and an open starting position, that should be attractive to big man looking to make an immediate impact.

billiken_roy likes this

Just did a 2019 refresh. Updates on a few of the above big men:

-Jitoboh says he's wide open still. His school does YouTube interviews, and they talked about SLU and UCF being great visits. He's wide open but it sounds like it's those two and everyone else from his assistant coach's (interviewer) perspective.

-Thomas had a huge December for Hillcrest. He has new offers from Coastal Carolina, UC-Davis, and Seattle, and Arkansas talks to him daily and is trying to get him out for a visit.

-Arkansas is also turning up the heat on Diawara, who has some ties to the region based on his summer training. He's visiting Temple and UConn soon; he's been out to Virginia and East Carolina recently. Only ECU and Temple have offered out of those four, and he also wants an Arkansas offer ASAP.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

-Jitoboh says he's wide open still. His school does YouTube interviews, and they talked about SLU and UCF being great visits. He's wide open but it sounds like it's those two and everyone else from his assistant coach's (interviewer) perspective.

-Thomas had a huge December for Hillcrest. He has new offers from Coastal Carolina, UC-Davis, and Seattle, and Arkansas talks to him daily and is trying to get him out for a visit.

-Arkansas is also turning up the heat on Diawara, who has some ties to the region based on his summer training. He's visiting Temple and UConn soon; he's been out to Virginia and East Carolina recently. Only ECU and Temple have offered out of those four, and he also wants an Arkansas offer ASAP.

Pistol, have you heard any concerns about Jitoboh’s fitness? He looks a little big and not in like French is big 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I haven't listened to the YouTube interview, but it seems like he is completely wide open in his recruitment and SLU/UCF are fall back options if nothing better materializes. 

If I were Travis I'd contact some of the Bills playing overseas and telling them to keep their eyes open for foreign bigs. We are well represented in Australia w/ Conk, Cody, Lisch and Jett. They could prove to be really good sources. Same w/ Loe in NZ. I kind of like the foreign bigs GW brought in a few years ago, and that kid from Davidson doesn't look all bad. I don't know who on our current front line's gonna handle him since he's like 6'11.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If I were Travis I'd contact some of the Bills playing overseas and telling them to keep their eyes open for foreign bigs. We are well represented in Australia w/ Conk, Cody, Lisch and Jett. They could prove to be really good sources. Same w/ Loe in NZ. I kind of like the foreign bigs GW brought in a few years ago, and that kid from Davidson doesn't look all bad. I don't know who on our current front line's gonna handle him since he's like 6'11.

Even if he doesn't reach out I'm sure all the above have their eyes open as proud alumni.