Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

4 minutes ago, Adman said:

Pistol, given we weren't on his original list of 9, yet have now secured a second visit from him since his recruitment was re-opened, any idea how we got in the mix? Connection with current player or recruit?

I'm not sure. He tweeted to Yuri Collins after getting the offer. There are all kinds of connections but I can't say what specifically got us involved or got us a visit scheduled so quickly.

I do have a hunch that SLU had at least one staff member in attendance to last weekend's Hamilton Heights-TaylorMade game in Atlanta because our last two offers have gone to players on both sides of that game. Goodnews Kpegeol put up 28 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists as TaylorMade won 80-78 in OT.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slusam said:

I also originally read it as his second visit here but they might of meant we were his second official visit after UCF.

It's the latter. Second official visit, with UCF being the first.

Jason Jitoboh may well be just the big we wanted for next year's team. Nigerian, very large size and muscular, 4 stars. Offers from top teams but as the recruiting developed he noticed other candidates were preferred to him. This apparently turned him off about those schools he originally listed as finalists, and made him decide to start the search again.. His body size and corpulence appear to be Yoruba, his  name is Ibo. Interesting mix.

Apparently got good feedback about SLU from Yuri Collins. He was at UCF last week in an official visit, he is coming to SLU this weekend. I think this is a lucky break for SLU, hope we get him. From looks alone Jitoboh might be a Santos replacement.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

Jason Jitoboh may well be just the big we wanted for next year's team. Nigerian, very large size and muscular, 4 stars. Offers from top teams but as the recruiting developed he noticed other candidates were preferred to him. This apparently turned him off about those schools he originally listed as finalists, and made him decide to start the search again.. His body size and corpulence appear to be Yoruba, his  name is Ibo. Interesting mix.

Apparently got good feedback about SLU from Yuri Collins. He was at UCF last week in an official visit, he is coming to SLU this weekend. I think this is a lucky break for SLU, hope we get him. From looks alone Jitoboh might be a Santos replacement.

Jitoboh isn’t close to as athletic as Santos. I suppose he could still develop that aspect of his game. 

However, in watching YouTube highlights, I saw him dunk once. In a highlight video. One dunk. A 6’10” guy.   

He did have good post moves, and I trust in Ford and Staff when it comes to recruiting. So if they want him, I do too.

philliken likes this

50 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Jitoboh isn’t close to as athletic as Santos. I suppose he could still develop that aspect of his game. 

However, in watching YouTube highlights, I saw him dunk once. In a highlight video. One dunk. A 6’10” guy.   

He did have good post moves, and I trust in Ford and Staff when it comes to recruiting. So if they want him, I do too.

You're also comparing him to Santos after three years of college strength and conditioning, the last year of which really transformed him (it's a shame we never got to see him in action because he seemed prime for a big leap). Go find some video/photos of Santos his freshman year.

Bigs take time, especially when they're that big. My hope with at least 2 of the last 3 scholarships is that we land a game-ready big and more of a long-term high-ceiling big. With French and Gordon, we don't need a guy to come in expecting 30 MPG.

Billiken Rich likes this

Pistol, I share your thoughts about Santos poised to take a big step up, as he was not that good at his previous school.  Jitoboh I think would qualify as a project player with a big upside, and I believe he would get playing time his first year, just based on the size match-up problems he would present for some teams.  In contrast to the Crews big man projects players who were all under weight.  By a "game ready" big  for next season, I assume you are thinking of a senior transfer, which would be great if we can get the right guy.  My hope is that winning, will make us more attractive to both transfers and high school players.  Another type of big that would help, is one with shooting range to help spread the floor.  At this point thinking that Welmer is out, KC is the only one with a reputation as a shooter, and I don't know what kind of range Gordon has. I would really love to see Jitoboh commit this weekend! 

18 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Pistol, I share your thoughts about Santos poised to take a big step up, as he was not that good at his previous school.  Jitoboh I think would qualify as a project player with a big upside, and I believe he would get playing time his first year, just based on the size match-up problems he would present for some teams.  In contrast to the Crews big man projects players who were all under weight.  By a "game ready" big  for next season, I assume you are thinking of a senior transfer, which would be great if we can get the right guy.  My hope is that winning, will make us more attractive to both transfers and high school players.  Another type of big that would help, is one with shooting range to help spread the floor.  At this point thinking that Welmer is out, KC is the only one with a reputation as a shooter, and I don't know what kind of range Gordon has. I would really love to see Jitoboh commit this weekend! 

Holy Lord.  What kind of rarefied air are we breathing when 4 Star forward prospects are considered "projects." 

cgeldmacher likes this

I think this is first time we had 2 bigs on team at same time that the word project isn't a given. So tired of hoping some 6 9 or above guy(s) they may develop. Would of been 3 at same time if we hadn't lost Santos. No ill will to Foreman who is surely not a project but I'm not convinced he's in same high ceiling category as HF n CG.

Zink likes this

I agree almaman. I know what you mean with Foreman, but I have a hunch he may play better than we think. I'm not sure how close he was to 100% at any point last year. I just loved watching him getting the ball at the top of the key last year and just barreling to the basket. Was fun to watch. I also really like watching him at the top of that 1-3-1 trap zone, with his length. I'm not saying he will end up starting over Gordon or French, but i think he may take a big step forward too, just being healthy.

50 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

28 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Holy Lord.  What kind of rarefied air are we breathing when 4 Star forward prospects are considered "projects." 

Aquinas, Santos being less-than-great at his previous school is kind of the point - he needed a few years of work, and that really ramped up when he got here, and especially when Robb Hornett came on as the new strength and conditioning coach. Santos' physical transformation was really something.

Rich, I think Aquinas means "project" only in the sense that Jitoboh is currently 6-11, 270 and not ready to play 20+ MPG in college. I would love to see what Hornett could do with him. Instead of having Santos' slower development at USF, his first year could look more like Santos' third-fourth year. Jitoboh is not a Crews-style "project" coming in at 6-11, 170 with questionable skill and zero toughness.

As for a game-ready big, there probably aren't going to be many left in the senior HS class, so yeah, we're probably talking about another transfer.

Hankton can really shoot it, so when Ford talks about him as a fourth big, he's more Welmer than Santos. He has a pretty wide skill set and was a stat sheet filler in HS, so he'll be a useful player once he gets up to speed and fills out more. He just lacks the size that you'd want to have at a stretch forward position.

56 minutes ago, PinkMaleBillikensJersey said:

I agree almaman. I know what you mean with Foreman, but I have a hunch he may play better than we think. I'm not sure how close he was to 100% at any point last year. I just loved watching him getting the ball at the top of the key last year and just barreling to the basket. Was fun to watch. I also really like watching him at the top of that 1-3-1 trap zone, with his length. I'm not saying he will end up starting over Gordon or French, but i think he may take a big step forward too, just being healthy.

I am a big fan of Foreman. I believe he had a lot to do with our late season turn around. Love his defense and ability to finish at the rim. Worrying or debating who starts is futile. There are plenty on minutes for 3 bigs. 

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You know you can quote posters. 

LOL, thanks 05. Still figuring out the board. For a (borderline) millennial, I am really really horrible with technology. It took me 13 months to figure out how to get the bluetooth to work in my car. But I did figure out to put a picture on my profile. HAHA.

rgbilliken likes this

39 minutes ago, PinkMaleBillikensJersey said:

LOL, thanks 05. Still figuring out the board. For a (borderline) millennial, I am really really horrible with technology. It took me 13 months to figure out how to get the bluetooth to work in my car. But I did figure out to put a picture on my profile. HAHA.

We're called Xennials.

The reason I identified Jitoboh as a project, as apposed to someone like Gordon or Goodwin, is that Jitoboh is not anywhere near a top 100 player currently, and his numbers have been very modest.  I suspect his 4 star ranking has more to do with his size, athleticism and potential than his current performance.  He is a big man with great potential, that is showing he is committed to getting in to divi 1 shape with his weight loss.  He could have a big year this year.  At this moment, I would not expect him to play 20 plus minutes as a freshman on our projected 2019 team. He has the potential however to develop into a dominant player in subsequent years. By his jr and sr. years he is the type of player we need for a tournament run.

12 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The reason I identified Jitoboh as a project, as apposed to someone like Gordon or Goodwin, is that Jitoboh is not anywhere near a top 100 player currently, and his numbers have been very modest.  I suspect his 4 star ranking has more to do with his size, athleticism and potential than his current performance.  He is a big man with great potential, that is showing he is committed to getting in to divi 1 shape with his weight loss.  He could have a big year this year.  At this moment, I would not expect him to play 20 plus minutes as a freshman on our projected 2019 team. He has the potential however to develop into a dominant player in subsequent years. By his jr and sr. years he is the type of player we need for a tournament run.

If I am not mistaken, you get your 4 star rating from your ranking.

Rivals and 247 have Jitoboh as a 3 star, ESPN as a 4 star. Scout doesn't have him rated.  At this moment, he is not a consensus top 100 player, which is why my expectations are not as great for him, especially given his modest numbers to date.  Of course he could have a breakout sr. Year.  U dont know which of these rating entities have the best record at evaluating prospects.

34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

A 6'10"-6'11" beast with decent skills and a ton of potential?  Yea, I want him.  Heck, even if he only played 10-20 mpg next year, he would add a lot of value just by giving French and Gordon a rest.  Dude will be a werewolf by his Junior year (just in time to take over for French). 

This is it 

I thought I read somewhere that Hargrove was still in the growing stage and could reach the 6'10" mark. Along w/French, Gordon, Hankton, and Hargrove we look ok up front. Still, this guy would be a huge, literally and figuratively, for Ford and staff. 

16 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Or maybe he is not a high flier.  A good, not great athlete, with a very big body.  He looks like he has a college ready body.