Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

if i was slu, id make myself quite the pest when the clearing didnt happen in the 45 days.  while i understand the "not us" attitude, at some point the school has to do some pushing. well unless there is something fishy about our case? hope that isnt the case.  

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Possible bad news about Goodnews... Could this offer mean we are preparing for life without Jacobs? I hope not...

If Jacobs doesn't get cleared he just sits this year and he would be eligible next season.  It would be just like McLemore at KU a few years ago.  

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If Jacobs doesn't get cleared he just sits this year and he would be eligible next season.  It would be just like McLemore at KU a few years ago.  

I remember hearing Majerus talk about McLemore (not by name) and seeing him end up at KU while being on the honor roll the year he did not play was fairly amusing to me. I know some conferences don't allow those partial qualifiers or whatever you call it (that McLemore was), but I take it the A-10 does?

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

The NCAA doesn't have enough people working to get this kind of stuff done. They prioritize the fall athletes first and then move on to the winter ones next. They are obviously behind. Hopefully it's just a matter of time and not an indicator of a real issue.

If the bureacracy (the government works this way too) does not have enough employees to manage their own regulations, why have regulations at all? I do not think for a second that there is anything substantial that will keep Jacobs from playing.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It's the NCAA, not SLU.

-I wish I knew two things on this 1-what is the reason this "academic certification" is an issue for DJ versus any other student/athlete trying to qualify? and 2-what is the NCAA's process to clear a kid/review their file in a situation like this?  

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I remember hearing Majerus talk about McLemore (not by name) and seeing him end up at KU while being on the honor roll the year he did not play was fairly amusing to me. I know some conferences don't allow those partial qualifiers or whatever you call it (that McLemore was), but I take it the A-10 does?

You know what, I am not sure about the A10 rule on this.

Goodnews played with Grassroots Sizzle this past year and averaged 11.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.0 apg, along with also grabbing 1.9 steals. He didn't shoot it at a great clip (40.3% from the field and 25% from 3) and his handles look a little loose for a 2 guard, but his defensive potential and athleticism are undeniable. Around this time last year he only had junior college offers so his game has grown over the past year. With his size and athleticism he could be an All A-10 Defensive Teamer if he continues to develop. Solid offer talent wise in my opinion by Ford, not 100% sure where he would fit in on the team with guards like Thatch and Ingvi at the same position. 

Pistol and Zink like this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I like jacobs, but him sitting out this year isnt the worst thing.  Already have 4 guards ahead of him.

25 minutes ago, slusam said:

He decommitted from somewhere a couple weeks ago but I can't figure out where he was committed. He had visits schedule at Louisville, TN, and Florida but not sure they happened. He would be a nice addition.

I do not believe he actually committed anywhere, but had trimmed his list of offers. At one point he had a final 9 (Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Clemson, Pitt, Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Providence), and might have trimmed it again after that, but he recently reopened his recruitment from whatever his finalists were.

2 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

I do not believe he actually committed anywhere, but had trimmed his list of offers. At one point he had a final 9 (Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Clemson, Pitt, Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Providence), and might have trimmed it again after that, but he recently reopened his recruitment from whatever his finalists were.

I think a lot of people had him pegged for L'Ville but they... um... assembled a 5* class without him. 

47 minutes ago, slusam said:

He decommitted from somewhere a couple weeks ago but I can't figure out where he was committed. He had visits schedule at Louisville, TN, and Florida but not sure they happened. He would be a nice addition.

17 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think a lot of people had him pegged for L'Ville but they... um... assembled a 5* class without him. 

He hadn't committed anywhere, but had released a list of four finalists - Louisville, Illinois, Florida, and Tennessee - and then this month decided to reopen things. As far as I can tell, all four are still in the mix, but I think he was just a little premature on his list. Back in August, he scheduled visits for all four (see dates below) and then realized he was either not the top priority, or one of many candidates for a spot:

-Louisville: Aidan Igiehon committed last week. Louisville had been recruiting Jitoboh heavily, and he visited campus, but then appeared to prioritize Igiehon and it paid off. Currently they have 6 2019 commitments and no open spots left (although a few randos on Twitter are saying someone may be leaving).

-Illinois: Still in the mix for Kofi Cockburn, who is their top priority for 2019 bigs. They've also got offers out to Drew Timme, Tre Mitchell, and a couple other forwards. Jitoboh had a visit scheduled for November but I'm not sure if it's going to happen. They were also in the hunt for Balsa Koprivica, who committed to Florida State a few days ago. And now they've offered Antwan January.

-Florida: They were also in the hunt for Koprivica. They got a commitment from Omar Payne earlier this month. There's still some thought that they might pursue Jitoboh harder now that Koprivica is going to FSU, but they're full in terms of scholarships. I know there are transfers every year but I'm not sure they want to oversubscribe in the fall.

-Tennessee: Also missed on Koprivica, and also have no scholarships left on paper. Again, not necessarily an indication they're done in 2019, but they seem to have cooled on him before the others.

^Based on these original OV dates, it appears he never went on any of them. Tennessee didn't happen (filled up?), Florida got commitments from Tre Mann and Omar Payne right before his visit, he didn't go out to Illinois - again, I'm guessing because they seemed to be prioritizing other bigs - and now Louisville has Igiehon and I doubt he will visit.

This is all speculation based on timelines that I can find, but that's my read on the situation.

SLU has a real opportunity here. He's got serious potential.

Spoon-Balls likes this

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He hadn't committed anywhere, but had released a list of four finalists - Louisville, Illinois, Florida, and Tennessee - and then this month decided to reopen things. As far as I can tell, all four are still in the mix, but I think he was just a little premature on his list. Back in August, he scheduled visits for all four (see dates below) and then realized he was either not the top priority, or one of many candidates for a spot:

-Louisville: Aidan Igiehon committed last week. Louisville had been recruiting Jitoboh heavily, and he visited campus, but then appeared to prioritize Igiehon and it paid off. Currently they have 6 2019 commitments and no open spots left (although a few randos on Twitter are saying someone may be leaving).

-Illinois: Still in the mix for Kofi Cockburn, who is their top priority for 2019 bigs. They've also got offers out to Drew Timme, Tre Mitchell, and a couple other forwards. Jitoboh had a visit scheduled for November but I'm not sure if it's going to happen. They were also in the hunt for Balsa Koprivica, who committed to Florida State a few days ago. And now they've offered Antwan January.

-Florida: They were also in the hunt for Koprivica. They got a commitment from Omar Payne earlier this month. There's still some thought that they might pursue Jitoboh harder now that Koprivica is going to FSU, but they're full in terms of scholarships. I know there are transfers every year but I'm not sure they want to oversubscribe in the fall.

-Tennessee: Also missed on Koprivica, and also have no scholarships left on paper. Again, not necessarily an indication they're done in 2019, but they seem to have cooled on him before the others.

^Based on these original OV dates, it appears he never went on any of them. Tennessee didn't happen (filled up?), Florida got commitments from Tre Mann and Omar Payne right before his visit, he didn't go out to Illinois - again, I'm guessing because they seemed to be prioritizing other bigs - and now Louisville has Igiehon and I doubt he will visit.

This is all speculation based on timelines that I can find, but that's my read on the situation.

SLU has a real opportunity here. He's got serious potential.

Pistol, given we weren't on his original list of 9, yet have now secured a second visit from him since his recruitment was re-opened, any idea how we got in the mix? Connection with current player or recruit?

4 minutes ago, Adman said:

Pistol, given we weren't on his original list of 9, yet have now secured a second visit from him since his recruitment was re-opened, any idea how we got in the mix? Connection with current player or recruit?

It looks like he tweeted at Yuri when he was offered by SLU.

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

I also originally read it as his second visit here but they might of meant we were his second official visit after UCF.