Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GJ: “I talk to UNC-Greensboro at least one or twice a week. They’ve told me they want me to come in and play right away and have a big impact on their program from the jump.”

“I talk with Lehigh almost everyday, and they love the versatility that I bring. They play basically positionless basketball with the 1-4 so they want me to come in and use my size and skill level to create mismatches.”

St Louis checks in frequently. They love my ability to shoot the ball as well as my size and IQ.”

La Salle also checks in frequently and they’re looking for someone that can flat out shoot it, and they’ve expressed to me that they know I can do that and also that I’m a hard worker that could come in and have an impact.”

Charlotte checks in at least once a week and they love my ability to shoot as well as my competitiveness and work ethic.”

Yale talks to me almost everyday and they love my basketball IQ, shooting ability and overall skill level.”

Here's the bio I updated on Jimerson three days ago:

Gibson Jimerson - SG, 6-6, 210 - Richmond, VA (Montverde Academy, FL) - Twitter: @JimersonGibson

Offers: SLU, K-State, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Lehigh, James Madison, American, Columbia, Stony Brook, High Point, UNC-Greensboro.

Interest: VCU, UMass, Richmond, La Salle, Creighton, Virginia, NC State, Iowa, Nebraska, Stanford, Colorado, East Carolina, Charlotte, Bucknell, Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

Latest News: Jimerson's latest offer is from Charlotte. (9/28/18)

Scouting Report: Jimerson is an elite shooter with very good size. Though primarily a shooter off the catch earlier on, he has expanded his scoring ability to score more off the dribble and at the rim, where he can finish or draw fouls. He's got good length and is a smart, efficient player who uses angles well and doesn't need a lot of dribbles to get to where he's going. His size helps him on the defensive end, as well, where he demonstrates good footwork and understanding of space. He's a solid rebounder for his position. He has underrated toughness and a competitive streak. He transferred from St. Christopher's HS to national powerhouse Montverde Academy in Florida, where he will play his final HS season.

(Since this was updated, we found out about his SLU official.)

Basically, some of the stereotypes are true - Jimerson is a lights-out shooter and really smart player. He's smart off the court, too; it's not a coincidence when he's being recruited by multiple Ivies. That always signals to me that the academics have been vetted, and they're not a concern, based on how Ivies have to recruit compared to the rest of us.

He was very good on the EYBL circuit this year for Boo Williams. I can't find the graphic, but he was one of the best shooters in EYBL. Everyone with more made 3-pointers than him has a lower percentage; i.e. he was the best high-volume shooter out there in terms of efficiency.

The interview posted earlier is from May; there's another from later in the summer and he's still talking about SLU. The interview was written right before his SLU offer.

He's transferring from his hometown of Richmond down to Montverde Academy in Florida, a national powerhouse that sends its entire top team to D-I schools, basically. It's an interesting move because we just saw it more or less backfire for Karrington Davis, who left Chaminade and mostly sat on the bench there. He still wound up at Nebraska, but they didn't offer until really late and he would've gotten more looks as a top-2 guy at Chaminade than buried on the bench at Montverde. So anyway, Jimerson runs that same risk, but the higher quality of practice competition and other resources available there should help his development. He chose that over being a local star (he led the Richmond area in scoring last year).

Banks and TheDude like this

One thing that stands out to me about GJ is his size. He's listed at 6-6, 210 currently. He's easy to overlook as just another shooting wing but he's deceptively physical and can rebound and defend better than you'd expect.

I would be happy with a commitment from him. He offers something we need - my wish list for the 3 open scholarships includes a shooter and a big.

So who else is going to be there tonight? Hargrove and Collins, of course. We know JImerson, Seryee Lewis (2020), and Keshawn Williams (2020) will be in the house. Based on the numbers I see at other "Madness" events, we probably have at least a few more coming.

Known visits this weekend for our 2019 offers:

John Bol Ajak - Syracuse

Tyson Etienne - Wichita State

DaJuan Gordon - K-State

Gibson Jimerson - SLU

Chris Ledlum - Harvard

Michael Moreno - Richmond

Tyson Walker - Vermont

Which leaves Myles Baker, Nobal Days, Jordan Dingle, Tony Johnson, Treyon Johnson, Julius Marble, Anderson Mirambeaux, Chris Payton, Kasean Pryor, Lester Quinones, Antonio Reeves, and Terrence Shannon as guys who I haven't been able to confirm any weekend visit plans for. There are also the names on our interest list, so keep your eyes out for Markese Jacobs and Alonzo Verge.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:49 PM, billikentim said:

Had a slu offer

Penn is putting a ridiculous class together. Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd, also with a SLU offer, committed recently and is a legit 4-star big man ranked right around the 100 mark most of his HS career. Really impressive.

Here's the player who visited with Jimerson; I stashed him on the interest list:

Oton Jankovic - PF, 6-10, 205 - Croatia (Montverde Academy, FL) - Twitter: @JankovicOton

Offers: None.

Interest: SLU, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Tennessee, Stanford, Arizona State, Wichita State, Santa Clara, Princeton, Buffalo, Middle Tennessee.

Latest News: Jankovic attended Billiken Madness along with Montverde teammate and new SLU commit Gibson Jimerson. (10/1/18)

Scouting Report: Jankovic is a bouncy, athletic, versatile forward with a good frame. He moves very well, running the floor quickly for his size and showing a nice step to the rim. He's smart off the ball, with a good feel for positioning. He shows good timing on rebounding at both ends. He's a nice finisher with an ability to handle contact, and has a right hook shot. He doesn't have a ton of length but can defend multiple positions because of his footwork and strength. He also has a solid stroke with range. He came to the US from Croatia in fall 2016 and played two seasons at Prolific Prep in California before transferring to Montverde for this season. Most prospects of his caliber would have signed in Europe rather than come to the US for college. He has dealt with some injuries in his two years here so far.

DaJuan Gordon committed to K-State after visiting this weekend. He had previously taken official visits to Ole Miss and SMU, and a few others were in the mix, like Xavier, Nebraska, and Cincinnati. He's a Chicago kid (Curie HS) and had a SLU offer.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Penn is putting a ridiculous class together. Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd, also with a SLU offer, committed recently and is a legit 4-star big man ranked right around the 100 mark most of his HS career. Really impressive.

When you have the top business school in the country, where graduates choose from multiple job offers before graduating rather than having to go out and look for a job, then you should be able to attract some talent.  Of course, that's the way it should be, not always the way that it is.  I will never fault any kid who goes to an Ivy League school on his athletic talent.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

My brother in law went to Penn, and he said the Quakers were getting tired of Harvard being the darling of Ivy League Hoops. That used to be Penn's domain. He said they want the crown back and are probably admitting kids that otherwise wouldn't qualify as Penn material. I think this has been said about Harvard as well.