Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

So, two Fall commits, a PG and SF. 

SLU loses four after this year, 2 guards, a PF, and a SF.  That assumes Welmer returns.

Seems a big and another guard would fill this class out nicely.  Would love to get Jacobs, but that seems like a big wish.  

For those more in those know, any guess on the next commit? Any rumors of players leaning towards SLU?  Or does SLU wait until the Spring period?  With only Santos as a senior next year at least one grad transfer makes a lot of sense.

-come on, Travis Ford is our coach, the guy and his staff recruit like no other staff in SLU history, nothing is a reach or a big wish (except perhaps EJ Liddell), stop thinking small time, drink some blue kool-aid and get fully on board

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Do we have a need for jacobs with Yuri? That would be two small PG in the same class competing for the same spot, If we have a scholarship to give, fine but we need a shooter

A  4 star recruit who can score and create.  For sure.  You never have too many PGs.  And they bring different strenghths from everything I have read on the two.  

On 9/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, HoosierPal said:

Using my protractor, (not my slide rule), if Hargrove is 6'8", as declared earlier, than Collins is well over his listed 5'10".  I'd speculate he is 6'2" plus or minus 50%.  He also is a little thicker than I thought he was.  Photos don't lie.

Does that mean he is between 3'1" and 9'3"?  Significant margin of error?  I'll take that bet.

HoosierPal and Billikid like this

I agree that we have the ingredients to go far this year and to continue the rise the following year, how far I really do not know. I think one of the great advantages we have, at least early in the season, is that a lot of the statistics models in use depend to some degree upon prior year performance. This adds a measure of "statistical stealth" to our team that I hope we can employ to our advantage. 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, dlarry said:

What in the world does a gaspump and thumb tack mean?

Gas usually means something is exceptionally good. The thumbtack is a location indicator. Like putting a tack in a map. So think, "something good going on here in St. Louis".

3 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Gas usually means something is exceptionally good. The thumbtack is a location indicator. Like putting a tack in a map. So think, "something good going on here in St. Louis".

You could've given me 1000 guesses and I would never have arrived at that.  

(Just preserving his last bio in case I need it for later reference.)

Yuri Collins - PG, 5-11, 170 - St. Louis, MO (St. Mary's) - Twitter: @smoovYC1

Offers: SLU, DePaul, Iowa, Mizzou, SMU, Loyola-Chicago, Missouri State, SIUE.

Interest: Marquette, Creighton, Purdue, Illinois State, Bradley.

Latest News: Collins will take official visits to SLU (9/8) and Iowa (9/22). While those two have the edge, DePaul, SMU, and Bradley are still in the mix as the other schools recruiting him the hardest. He does not have a commitment timeline but could decide after those two visits, or will take more if he's not ready to choose. (8/31/18)

Scouting Report: Collins is a pure, old school, pass-first point guard and floor general. He handles the ball extremely well and has outstanding court vision. He likes to score at the rim, and doesn't shy from contact despite his size because he's got excellent body control and deceptive strength. He creates a lot of steals on the defensive end. He's a solid, consistent lead guard who plays with confidence and control and calls himself a coach on the court. His jumper needs improvement. He will miss the beginning of his senior season while he recovers from shoulder surgery. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 192, 247sports - 248, 247sports Composite - 294.

14 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

So, two Fall commits, a PG and SF. 

SLU loses four after this year, 2 guards, a PF, and a SF.  That assumes Welmer returns.

Seems a big and another guard would fill this class out nicely.  Would love to get Jacobs, but that seems like a big wish.  

For those more in those know, any guess on the next commit? Any rumors of players leaning towards SLU?  Or does SLU wait until the Spring period?  With only Santos as a senior next year at least one grad transfer makes a lot of sense.

I think waiting til spring for the last two spots would be a decent possibility. A grad transfer 2/3 who can shoot would be a good fit. And a big would make sense. Might be a good spot to get a big transfer who sits out a year during what would be Santos senior year.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think waiting til spring for the last two spots would be a decent possibility. A grad transfer 2/3 who can shoot would be a good fit. And a big would make sense. Might be a good spot to get a big transfer who sits out a year during what would be Santos senior year.

I agree. If we get two more grad transfers in the same vein as Isabell and Wiley, I fear that we'll be stuck in that pattern for a couple more years. One would be fine but personally I don't want to see anymore than that.

TheChosenOne likes this

Was reading BenFreds quick hits and he mentioned he plans on covering a ton of SLU this season (we will see) but he also mentioned Ford is making a SLU a place where locals don't overlook to the point of telling some guys no.  Is he just saying that or would there have been any local prospects that are D1 that we haven't really gone after?  

image.png.df81c50f454233c1c6b6deaa656fe549.png

23 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Was reading BenFreds quick hits and he mentioned he plans on covering a ton of SLU this season (we will see) but he also mentioned Ford is making a SLU a place where locals don't overlook to the point of telling some guys no.  Is he just saying that or would there have been any local prospects that are D1 that we haven't really gone after?  

Not that he wanted to come here anyway, but I don’t think we were ever that interested in McKinney. Seems like we passed on Pickett as well.  Also definitely weren’t interested in Mark Smith, from everything we have heard. 

13 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Is Ford actually telling guys no? It's probably not quite that simple, but yes, there are D-I players in the STL metro who we are not recruiting or did not recruit. I won't include guys like McKinney, who we offered but didn't seem to recruit in earnest (he seemed uninterested in SLU all along), but here are some we didn't offer or haven't offered (yet), and I haven't been able to find evidence of interest: Noah Frederking (2017 - Evansville), Shaun Williams (2018 - K-State), Cameron Williams (2018 - SIUE), Rashad McDaniels (2020 - I have him on the interest list but that was a preliminary add over a year ago and I haven't seen us recruit him at all), Phillip Russell (2020), and I'm sure there are a lot more that aren't immediately coming to mind.

Bills_06 likes this

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

I thought this meant the players should not be afraid to tell other teams NO.

"they" is refering to the players.

Like did Collins tell Iowa no thanks?