Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, willie said:

jacked the slide. What in the sh t does that mean. 

He held a pump action shotgun by the slide and moved his hand rapidly up then down causing the slide to make a badass sound.  Usually this is a precursor to firing the gun into the face of a distrusted former associate or other hostile party.......

Old guy impersonation over....

16 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

He held a pump action shotgun by the slide and moved his hand rapidly up then down causing the slide to make a badass sound.  Usually this is a precursor to firing the gun into the face of a distrusted former associate or other hostile party.......

Now I have this song stuck in my head:

16 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Wasn't the hostile someone who was taking too long to order in the Dairy Queen drive through?

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Wasn't the hostile someone who was taking too long to order in the Dairy Queen drive through?

Not worth a shot gun to the face.

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Thought it was a white castle but hostility is in the eye of the beholder in any case.....

Totally worth a shot gun to the face

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Didn't SLU offer Dionte Allen? He just committed to Kentucky 

Wow. He really played well last weekend in front of Cal, and there was a lot of speculation about him getting an offer on his visit this week. An in-state kid, it's been his dream school. His dad also made a subtle jab at Kyky Tandy's dad, saying "No ultimatums, we'd just love a Kentucky offer" before the visit (Tandy's dad infamously ranted that his son wouldn't sit on the bench at UK, that an offer meant he had to be a contributor, and UK stopped talking to them). Allen reportedly accepted the offer on the spot, without hesitation.

Anyway, Allen will be the first in-state kid to commit to UK since 2013 (Dominique Hawkins). Hawkins didn't play much but stayed all four years.

Allen definitely signals a slight shift for Cal. Before, he was signing almost exclusively guys thought to be pro prospects who'd play 1 or 2 years and Allen, while an outstanding talent, isn't that kind of player. The NBA certainly isn't out of question, but it's a long-term goal if things break right for him.

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

My best, quick @Pistolimpression:

6’2 guard out of North Carolina. Got his first offer from Illinois state 4 days ago. Been offered by several lower D1 schools since. Another guard offer. A lot of them given out in the past couple of weeks. 

D.J. Horne - PG, 6-1, 170 - Cary, NC (Trinity Christian) - Twitter: @dj_dhorne09

Offers: SLU, Illinois State, Towson, UMass-Lowell.

Interest: George Mason, Oklahoma State, Rice, Louisiana Tech, Bowling Green, Youngstown State, Murray State, Northern Arizona, Campbell, Longwood, Hampton, Radford, Gardner-Webb, VMI, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Liberty.

Latest News: Horne received an offer from SLU. This follows offers from UMass-Lowell, Towson, and his first D-I offer, Illinois State, which came on 7/29/18. (8/3/18)

Scouting Report: Horne is a small but shifty, smooth, athletic guard who can really score. He gets to the rim and can knock it down from the perimeter with a quick, compact stroke. He has evolved from an undersized scoring guard to develop a more complete PG skill set. He has excellent court vision. He's a fierce competitor and is an extremely hard worker. He transferred from Cary HS to Trinity Christian, where he will play his senior year.

-He indeed got his first wave of D-I offers in the past week, starting with Illinois State. He had a nice showing for Garner Road in his last AAU event, putting up big points for them. He'll be at his third HS this fall, playing his senior year at Trinity Christian, the school that bounced KC Hankton's United Faith Christian from the NC private school playoffs this spring. He was previously in the same conference as fellow SLU offer Justin McKoy; they seem to be friends. He's had D-I interest for a couple years but no one was pulling the trigger on offers until now. SLU is in on him early, in that regard. He's from the Raleigh-Durham area but hasn't been recruited by any ACC schools yet. He's a nice looking player; smooth and athletic, can shoot it, seems to have a nice feel for the game. He's on the small side.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

D.J. Horne - PG, 6-1, 170 - Cary, NC (Trinity Christian) - Twitter: @dj_dhorne09

Offers: SLU, Illinois State, Towson, UMass-Lowell.

Interest: George Mason, Oklahoma State, Rice, Louisiana Tech, Bowling Green, Youngstown State, Murray State, Northern Arizona, Campbell, Longwood, Hampton, Radford, Gardner-Webb, VMI, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Liberty.

Latest News: Horne received an offer from SLU. This follows offers from UMass-Lowell, Towson, and his first D-I offer, Illinois State, which came on 7/29/18. (8/3/18)

Scouting Report: Horne is a small but shifty, smooth, athletic guard who can really score. He gets to the rim and can knock it down from the perimeter with a quick, compact stroke. He has evolved from an undersized scoring guard to develop a more complete PG skill set. He has excellent court vision. He's a fierce competitor and is an extremely hard worker. He transferred from Cary HS to Trinity Christian, where he will play his senior year.

-He indeed got his first wave of D-I offers in the past week, starting with Illinois State. He had a nice showing for Garner Road in his last AAU event, putting up big points for them. He'll be at his third HS this fall, playing his senior year at Trinity Christian, the school that bounced KC Hankton's United Faith Christian from the NC private school playoffs this spring. He was previously in the same conference as fellow SLU offer Justin McKoy; they seem to be friends. He's had D-I interest for a couple years but no one was pulling the trigger on offers until now. SLU is in on him early, in that regard. He's from the Raleigh-Durham area but hasn't been recruited by any ACC schools yet. He's a nice looking player; smooth and athletic, can shoot it, seems to have a nice feel for the game. He's on the small side.

A little on the light side right now but height and skill set wise could fill the TI spot next year as a good shooting guard with some PG skills.

I expect we'll get a commitment in August. No inside info, but the way this staff gets after recruiting and is able to get early commitments, it just seems like we're due.

Looking ahead to 2019-20, the biggest roster question will be small forward and trying to replace Bess. Also, it would make a sense to try to get another grad transfer, considering that Santos will be the only senior heading into that season. And, I wouldn't be surprised if we target a transfer who has to sit for a  year.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

I expect we'll get a commitment in August. No inside info, but the way this staff gets after recruiting and is able to get early commitments, it just seems like we're due.

Looking ahead to 2019-20, the biggest roster question will be small forward and trying to replace Bess. Also, it would make a sense to try to get another grad transfer, considering that Santos will be the only senior heading into that season. And, I wouldn't be surprised if we target a transfer who has to sit for a  year.

Agree about the possibility of a transfer along with a grad transfer;  that would leave us two open scholarships (including Welmer's) to fill the old fashion way, since we already have a commit from Hargrove.  I think Hankton and/or Hargrove might be the Bess spot replacement.  That leaves me with wanting a Big to take Foreman's spot, which could be a FR or the transfer

What would be nice to see now is more recruits zero in on their finalists and visit lists. So far we've seen some of the higher ranked guys - Lewis, Cockburn, Whitney, etc. - announce their finalists, but I'd like to see more movement from the guys we're more involved with to get a clearer picture of who's in play. Not necessarily looking for more commitments right now, just a better overall picture.

No reason to panic as Travis and staff have proved more than able recruiters. We have 3, possibly 4, spots to fill given Wellmer's status. I do think they'll hold one in reserve for a GTransfer. Actually it would be wise since we'll only have one SR next year. I would see that going to a Bess replacement or another big. That said, couldn't Thatch fill Bess's 3 spot? Isn't he like 6'4" or so? I do think a lot of us felt pretty secure that we'd have Collins in the fold by now, but it may be he's being blinded by the bright lights of a P5 school. Recruiting against fall visitations isn't easy for a non P5 school as the recruits get to visit on a FB weekend with parties in full swing.

Interesting goings on at UK, with the unlikely offer to that Allen kid. Doesn't fit the Calimari business model at all. Going to be interesting to see what Kyky (sp?) and his father decide. I don't think it will be SLU, since they appear to be more like Mickey P, ie I'm better than a non P5 school. Could see him going to an SEC school in an attempt to show Calimari he screwed up by not giving him an offer.