Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

In the wake of Peach Jam it certainly seems apparent that the interest in EJ Liddell has intensified, but I didn't hear much about Yuri Collins. Anyone have any idea whether that is a recruitment that could come to an end soon?

I'm betting that Collins considers his Peach Jam to be a disappointment. In addition to BBE going a disappointing 2-3 in pool play after expecting to get to the quarterfinals, Collins didn't play up to his usual level for much of the tournament. He had 23 assists to 21 turnovers in 5 games after having 83 assists to 41 turnovers in their 16 regular season games. His scoring was up a little - 6.0 PPG vs. 4.4 PPG - as were his percentages, especially from the perimeter, but he also saw his rebounding numbers go down, he fouled out of the MeanStreets game (his fifth foul, which was a 50-50 call that went against him, led to the game-winning FT for MeanStreets), and was just inconsistent overall. Even in a game where he went for 9 points and 8 assists in a win, he had a totally uncharacteristic 7 turnovers.

Not to mention that his shoulder still has a huge brace on it, which has been there for a long time now.

Lastly, I'm not seeing any heat on him in headlines, Twitter, etc. in the wake of the Peach Jam. A lot of guys break out in a big way, some guys continue to build momentum, and others seem like they don't take a step forward with it. And that's not the end of the world. It's just one 5-day tournament and a pretty small sample size. But I doubt Collins feels like he took a step forward there.

There are two more evaluation weekends in July. It'll be interesting to see what the BBE guys do now that the EYBL is over. There should still be plenty of opportunities to get in front of some coaches and scouts.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Pistol, with us losing at least 1 of our Big 4 next year (Foreman) and having 3 known available scholarship slots (after Hargrove), I think it's important for TF to get a player like Mack signed for the '19 Class.  I am assuming that Hargrove will be more of a 3 (SF) player, but if he grows and fills out a bit, I guess he could be the Foreman replacement in our Big 4.  My point is that we need to fill that role in this upcoming recruiting class.

As i view them now and next year by position this is what I see: (sorry Roy, but I'm not going to type all these names out and I do NOT intend that as an insult to any of them!)  This also assumes no early departures.

2018-19                                                                                                             2019-20

4 and 5s   --------------------CAG, HF, LS, and DJF                                     CAG, HF and LS               How nice is it to have 4, A-10 + quality bigmen?

3s      ----------------------------JB, KH, DW and IG                                           KH, IG and TH

1 and 2s ---------------------- JG, TI, FT, DJ, DW and IG                              JG, FT, DJ and IG

Note; I did not include EW since I hold to the belief that we will never see him on the Chaifetz floor for more than a brief time.  If that is incorrect, then that just improves this year, but probably not '19-20 since he will be on Medicare at that point

Yeah, I'd think we're in the market for at least one big man for 2019. It's getting harder and harder to project out an additional year, too, with transfers playing such a big role these days. The average roster sees 2 out and 2 in.

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm betting that Collins considers his Peach Jam to be a disappointment. In addition to BBE going a disappointing 2-3 in pool play after expecting to get to the quarterfinals, Collins didn't play up to his usual level for much of the tournament. He had 23 assists to 21 turnovers in 5 games after having 83 assists to 41 turnovers in their 16 regular season games. His scoring was up a little - 6.0 PPG vs. 4.4 PPG - as were his percentages, especially from the perimeter, but he also saw his rebounding numbers go down, he fouled out of the MeanStreets game (his fifth foul, which was a 50-50 call that went against him, led to the game-winning FT for MeanStreets), and was just inconsistent overall. Even in a game where he went for 9 points and 8 assists in a win, he had a totally uncharacteristic 7 turnovers.

Not to mention that his shoulder still has a huge brace on it, which has been there for a long time now.

Lastly, I'm not seeing any heat on him in headlines, Twitter, etc. in the wake of the Peach Jam. A lot of guys break out in a big way, some guys continue to build momentum, and others seem like they don't take a step forward with it. And that's not the end of the world. It's just one 5-day tournament and a pretty small sample size. But I doubt Collins feels like he took a step forward there.

There are two more evaluation weekends in July. It'll be interesting to see what the BBE guys do now that the EYBL is over. There should still be plenty of opportunities to get in front of some coaches and scouts.

I kind of feel bad. After Yuri had a good tournament (a couple months ago?) he picked up a bunch of new offers. Not seeing that this time around. Think that helps SLU.

Also, I don't mind that Hargrove could maybe be considered to have under performed. Don't hate that he won't be having the blue bloods knocking down his door. 

Julius Marble - PF, 6-9, 220 - Keller, TX (Dallas Jesuit) - Twitter: @jujitzu25

Offers: SLU, Pepperdine, Florida International, Texas-San Antonio.

Interest: Baylor.

Latest News: Marble received an offer from SLU after a strong showing for YGC36 at the latest adidas Gauntlet event. (7/16/18)

Scouting Report: Marble is a solid power forward with the frame to bang for rebounds and the skill set to be a matchup problem. He has worked on conditioning in the past year, getting much stronger and more athletic. He's a solid rebounder and shot blocker with good hands. He's a very good shooter out to the three point line and gets a lot done in the face-up game. He runs the floor well and plays with fluidity. He spent most of the late winter and early spring injured, only returning to full health in the past couple months.

-Looks like a guy we're early to the party on. He's a nice looking player who seems to have been a little underrecruited as a junior but then got injured and hasn't gotten healthy until recently, so he missed out on some potential eyes on him. He took a visit to Baylor last month and has been out to UTSA, but I'm having trouble finding other schools actively recruiting him at the moment. Seems like a solid, skilled PF to me and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stretch his recruitment as long as possible to get more opportunities to be evaluated.

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I kind of feel bad. After Yuri had a good tournament (a couple months ago?) he picked up a bunch of new offers. Not seeing that this time around. Think that helps SLU.

Also, I don't mind that Hargrove could maybe be considered to have under performed. Don't hate that he won't be having the blue bloods knocking down his door. 

I suppose it does help SLU, but it's still not what I'd want for him. I'm guessing the shoulder injury also needs to be addressed.

I'm not sure I'd say Hargrove underperformed. He just doesn't play big minutes for them. He was really efficient - .750 from the field, 6.4 PPG - and added 3.2 RPG, evenly split between defensive and offensive. Had a few blocked shots, stayed out of foul trouble. He's sneaky good in limited minutes for them, and he's got a high ceiling, too. So yeah, I don't mind it being a relatively quiet event for him.

8 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

EJ got an offer from Wisconsin. Our guy Terrence Hargrove RT it as well. If you understand UW recruiting, they don't just send out shotgun offers so there is a good indication he might go there. 

wgstl likes this

What do folks on here know about former Billiken Don Braun (finished his career at Kansas apparently)? His son Christian is making some noise this summer playing with MoKan and there is some speculation SLU is one of the programs showing some interest. I watched MoKan a few times this past weekend and kept finding myself noticing his play, he really impressed me and I didn’t know anything about him prior. Plays for KS powerhouse Blue Valley Northwest and seems to have those gamer/winner qualities (same program the Loyola kids, Ben Richardson and Custer, made 4 straight state championship games at).

42 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

What do folks on here know about former Billiken Don Braun (finished his career at Kansas apparently)? His son Christian is making some noise this summer playing with MoKan and there is some speculation SLU is one of the programs showing some interest. I watched MoKan a few times this past weekend and kept finding myself noticing his play, he really impressed me and I didn’t know anything about him prior. Plays for KS powerhouse Blue Valley Northwest and seems to have those gamer/winner qualities (same program the Loyola kids, Ben Richardson and Custer, made 4 straight state championship games at).

I know he attended my alma mater Thomas More Prep in Hays, KS.

49 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I believe his brother Parker just committed to Mizzou as a Walk-on with a scholarship coming in 19? 

I’ve seen Marble play.  He was hurt the last half of the season.  He played on a great dallas Jesuit team who lost to Tyreese Maxey (Kentucky signee).  Marble needs to add weight but would be a nice player for SLU.  He has a very good point guard playing with him this season and dfw is loaded with talent this upcoming year.  I’m with pistol in that he will hold out for big 12 offers.  Def worth watching, he’s way better than the last dfw billiken Remekun.

Billikid and prebilliken like this

23 minutes ago, dfwbills said:

I’ve seen Marble play.  He was hurt the last half of the season.  He played on a great dallas Jesuit team who lost to Tyreese Maxey (Kentucky signee).  Marble needs to add weight but would be a nice player for SLU.  He has a very good point guard playing with him this season and dfw is loaded with talent this upcoming year.  I’m with pistol in that he will hold out for big 12 offers.  Def worth watching, he’s way better than the last dfw billiken Remekun.

I have a nephew that is a current student at Jesuit...I'll see what he knows about him.

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was a kid when he was on the team. All I remember is that a girl who sat in some seats near us was a fan of his. 5 or 6 year old me assumed she was his girlfriend.

That's all I know. Sorry.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:37 AM, TheChosenOne said:

Don't remember too much about his Billiken basketball career but I think he was a pretty good left handed pitcher on the baseball team for a season or two.

14 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Why is that?  There's been (nearly) a complete regime change.  Does he have something against Janet Oberle or Chris May?  (Heck, even May wasn't there when Dwayne Polk matriculated to SLU.)

SLU is not actively recruiting anyone from Vashon at this time

23 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

SLU is not actively recruiting anyone from Vashon at this time

coach 314 so please tell us why do vashon players and ex coaches like irons not consider slu?