Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually there are plenty of yuri collins caliber players.   dont get me wrong, he is good enough to be a billiken.  but he isnt as special as hargrove or liddell.    i'd love to get collins, but if he doesnt come i fully expect ford to find an equal or better guard for the spot.   

Wasn’t saying Collins is a better player than Liddell. Obviously Liddell is a special talent. But not getting Collins after @TheOne said it was essentially a done deal would hurt. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Wasn’t saying Collins is a better player than Liddell. Obviously Liddell is a special talent. But not getting Collins after @TheOne said it was essentially a done deal would hurt. 

I tend to agree with Roy on this one. Collins is a solid player and certainly a guy I would take, but I think he is a recruit we could certainly miss on and find a suitable replacement for. I like him because he fits an obvious need and seems like a kid who would be willing to accept whatever role he is needed to play early in his career. A kid like Hargrove who is likely at a similar level as Collins might be slightly different as it can be harder to find kids with that versatility and upside. One thing with Collins, I am pretty much sold that his floor is being a solid backup pg at this level which isn't a bad floor at all (I see Hargrove as having a lower floor, but a much higher ceiling, so more of a boom or bust type potentially although I think his ability to defend and rebound limit the risk of bust).

Zink, SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I tend to agree with Roy on this one. Collins is a solid player and certainly a guy I would take, but I think he is a recruit we could certainly miss on and find a suitable replacement for. I like him because he fits an obvious need and seems like a kid who would be willing to accept whatever role he is needed to play early in his career. A kid like Hargrove who is likely at a similar level as Collins might be slightly different as it can be harder to find kids with that versatility and upside. One thing with Collins, I am pretty much sold that his floor is being a solid backup pg at this level which isn't a bad floor at all (I see Hargrove as having a lower floor, but a much higher ceiling, so more of a boom or bust type potentially although I think his ability to defend and rebound limit the risk of bust).

good post.   i have no insight to this next thought, but it wouldnt surprise me if ford actually is focused on collins BECAUSE of hargrove and liddell.   he has one.   but i bet he really wants both.   it will be interesting to see if coach314 is right and soon liddell announces his reduced list.   i am of the opinion that he wont.   but i have no special insight other than a big fan of the belleville west maroons and discussing with other fellow maroon fans.

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

good post.   i have no insight to this next thought, but it wouldnt surprise me if ford actually is focused on collins BECAUSE of hargrove and liddell.   he has one.   but i bet he really wants both.   it will be interesting to see if coach314 is right and soon liddell announces his reduced list.   i am of the opinion that he wont.   but i have no special insight other than a big fan of the belleville west maroons and discussing with other fellow maroon fans.

It is interesting how little we have heard from Liddell despite him being such a highly rated recruit. I am sure that will change as the AAU season comes to an end and he turns his attention to recruiting (I saw he has an official visit planned to Ohio State for their opening football game).

I have heard McKinney plans on doing as coach314 says and even he hasn't said much about his recruitment although he isn't the same level of recruit as Liddell, so doubt the interest is there from many fan bases (I don't even know if he is a priority for any program at this point). Talk about boom or bust type of recruit, I really hope he either puts in the work to become a more complete player or finds a program that best fits his skill set.

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It is interesting how little we have heard from Liddell despite him being such a highly rated recruit. I am sure that will change as the AAU season comes to an end and he turns his attention to recruiting (I saw he has an official visit planned to Ohio State for their opening football game).

I have heard McKinney plans on doing as coach314 says and even he hasn't said much about his recruitment although he isn't the same level of recruit as Liddell, so doubt the interest is there from many fan bases (like I don't even know if he is a priority for any program at this point). Talk about boom or bust type of recruit, I really hope he either puts in the work to become a more complete player or finds a program that best fits his skill set.

59 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

More so for our respect for info nuggets from TheOne

mckinney and liddell package deal is probably not good for the billikens as i do not believe mckinney has any interest in the billikens.    i would love to have mckinney as a billiken as he is a superb athlete, but he has pretty much demonstrated he isnt interested in such.  

i believe if that rumor is true and they truly plan to act upon it, there is only one program that benefits.  right now i am a little sick to my stomach thinking about that.  

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

mckinney and liddell package deal is probably not good for the billikens as i do not believe mckinney has any interest in the billikens.    i would love to have mckinney as a billiken as he is a superb athlete, but he has pretty much demonstrated he isnt interested in such.  

i believe if that rumor is true and they truly plan to act upon it, there is only one program that benefits.  right now i am a little sick to my stomach thinking about that.  

If the package deal happened to sign at SLU it would be fun reading the reactions and accusations, and they were plan B all along.

Also, the poach coach would be checking hourly how strong their commitment was.

20 minutes ago, CBFan said:

If the package deal happened to sign at SLU it would be fun reading the reactions and accusations, and they were plan B all along.

Also, the poach coach would be checking hourly how strong their commitment was.

“Package Deal” benefits SLU, Miz, U of I and many others.  With that said if Liddell gets a Duke offer you’ll see him wishing McKinney well.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

While I'm sure they won't be going to SLU, I don't think this just benefits Mizzou. There are other schools (like Florida) that have offered both and I'm sure plenty of other programs will be happy to offer McKinney if it means they're getting Liddell.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out duke when talking package.

Duke typically takes 1-2 players per class, who are ranked below waat Mario is.  If Duke wants EJ that bad, they'll find a way.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I dont believe I said it was a “done deal”.  I think I said something along the lines of SLU feeling like they were/are in a good spot and wouldn’t be surprised to a receive a commitment as they felt the excitement was mutual between SLU/Yuri.  If I made it sound like a guarantee, I apologize.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

More so for our respect for info nuggets from TheOne

Take anything from me.... just not my credibility!

Package commitments in my opinion work better for schools like SLU who will take away a scholarship for someone they might not need in order to grab someone as highly sought after as Liddel. (Remember the rumor of Tatum and his teammate). If my understanding is correct, once you give a scholarship to a player you have to have a good reason to take it away. So if Liddel went to duke with his friend then goes to the nba 1 or 2 years later, they are stuck with the player they might not have wanted. 

Duke doesn’t need a package deal to sign a recruit. 

2 minutes ago, TheOne said:

I dont believe I said it was a “done deal”.  I think I said something along the lines of SLU feeling like they were/are in a good spot and wouldn’t be surprised to a receive a commitment as they felt the excitement was mutual between SLU/Yuri.  If I made it sound like a guarantee, I apologize.

Thanks, @TheOne. Do you know if the staff is still feeling confident? I would think getting a commitment from his friend Hargrove doesn’t hurt our chances.

4 minutes ago, TheOne said:

It’s in good order. 

6 minutes ago, TheOne said:

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, @TheOne .  You have shown to be quite credible, and we all appreciate your updates. 

Your exact quote was, “I was informed this morning that Yuri Collins has verballed to SLU, or a member of the SLU staff.”

What is your level of confidence that he will still announce a commitment?  With Hargrove’s quote about Yuri, I like our chances. 

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think people underestimate our chances at McKinney. I'm not saying they are great or anything but people seem to have it at basically 0% and I don't believe that is the case.

why do yo think that?