• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Reserved boothe at the best Italian restaurant in Louisville too

post of the day!

4 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Frank Cusumano said today that Collins is making a visit in the next few days and may commit then. Also, said SLU feels they are still sitting strong with Liddell.

my enthusiasm for collins would soar if i knew that he and liddell have developed a strong beagles bond.   the fact the aau season has started and collins and liddell are playing together now is a big plus imo.   if ford is following these guys everyweekend like he did goodwin, it could be a sweet result.   

HenryB and Marlow like this

I still need to see Collins more to have a better idea of how he projects, but I think one major selling point with him is that I get the impression other players like playing with him. He's totally unselfish and has the ability to make everyone look better because he sees the floor, moves the ball, and passes so well.

If Liddell spends the summer finishing a bunch of alley-oops and hitting open shots on dishes from Collins, he might be more inclined to see the value of playing with him in college.

Just a thought.

HenryB likes this

Interview I saw with EJ Liddell from PrepHoopsIllinois from this past weekend. This will be an interesting recruitment to follow as the three local programs all seem to feel good with where they sit with him, but the big boys are moving in. I have seen where Liddell seems to be high on Ohio State as a non local program.

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/ej-liddell-video-6/

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Interview I saw with EJ Liddell from PrepHoopsIllinois from this past weekend. This will be an interesting recruitment to follow as the three local programs all seem to feel good with where they sit with him, but the big boys are moving in. I have seen where Liddell seems to be high on Ohio State as a non local program.

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/ej-liddell-video-6/

any projections of who liddell feels is more preferred or not is nothing but wishful thinking likely.   i know by talking to a few independent but close sources that liddell hasnt shared thoughts on who he prefers or is high on with anyone.   even his parents.   he constantly says 'i am just going to enjoy the attention."    that said, i bet that will get old.   this summer favorites will emerge.    just my opinion, but makes sense.   

right now he is a power forward.   but if he wants to be a blue blood, my guess is he has to succeed at the wing.   he has shown signs in games he could transition to that.   he show decent at the three point line this year.   and when teams tried to overplay guards bringing the ball down, he wasnt afraid to do that.   the problem is that is vs high school players.   none of his opponents are anywhere close to the talent he is.   at the next level every team will have one or two ej liddells.   

that all said, if i was ford, i would promise ej a wing spot now.   it was the winning formula getting goodwin away from the big ten schools when ford promised goodwin the point guard.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

any projections of who liddell feels is more preferred or not is nothing but wishful thinking likely.   i know by talking to a few independent but close sources that liddell hasnt shared thoughts on who he prefers or is high on with anyone.   even his parents.   he constantly says 'i am just going to enjoy the attention."    that said, i bet that will get old.   this summer favorites will emerge.    just my opinion, but makes sense.   

Watching what Villanova did this month makes Liddell an even more attractive option for the blue bloods. The college game (like the NBA has) is moving to where he really is an ideal 4 (maybe two inches short of being the ideal 4 for the NBA and college blue bloods, but you get me point) with his ability to defend and rebound in the paint (as well as move his feet on the perimeter) and a developing game offensively.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

right now he is a power forward.   but if he wants to be a blue blood, my guess is he has to succeed at the wing.   he has shown signs in games he could transition to that.   he show decent at the three point line this year.   and when teams tried to overplay guards bringing the ball down, he wasnt afraid to do that.   the problem is that is vs high school players.   none of his opponents are anywhere close to the talent he is.   at the next level every team will have one or two ej liddells.   

that all said, if i was ford, i would promise ej a wing spot now.   it was the winning formula getting goodwin away from the big ten schools when ford promised goodwin the point guard.   

We are kind of getting into the old time view of basketball, most teams are playing their 4 on the wing. Obviously you have some blue bloods and other programs with two legit bigs (Duke) but a lot of teams are moving in the direction of the NBA and playing 4 out 1 in with the 4 being more of a hybrid type forward. Every program is going to sell Liddell on playing that kind of stretch 4 position in my opinion and he is perfect for it where as playing a guy like Goodwin who was more of a force in the paint as the point guard is something not all programs would be willing to do.

Saw this the other day when Isaiah Williams committed to Illinois football a few weeks ago. But he goes to Trinity in North County, there has been a billboard of Lovie Smith on 270 between Bellefontaine and Lilac about a mile from the school. Always thought it was weird especially since football season was over, but then it hit me this might of been the greatest subliminal recruiting tool to get a 5*, cause if you pass it everyday, its always in your head. 

So I think we need a Billiken billboard on 15 or Frank Scott so everyday when EJ goes to school he knows that TF is there. Get your tickets now.

LegacyP likes this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I still need to see Collins more to have a better idea of how he projects, but I think one major selling point with him is that I get the impression other players like playing with him. He's totally unselfish and has the ability to make everyone look better because he sees the floor, moves the ball, and passes so well.

I saw Collins once this past season.  He's good.  He can pass, he can shoot.  No one plays much defense in HS, so that still is a question to be answered.  I don't care if he is a 1 star or a 5 star, he is good.  I don't care about his AAU stats, he is good.  I don't care if he plays for the Beagles or the Poodles, he is good.  I want him in Billiken blue.

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I saw Collins once this past season.  He's good.  He can pass, he can shoot.  No one plays much defense in HS, so that still is a question to be answered.  I don't care if he is a 1 star or a 5 star, he is good.  I don't care about his AAU stats, he is good.  I don't care if he plays for the Beagles or the Poodles, he is good.  I want him in Billiken blue.

Looks like we will know in the next few days

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hey, we agree.

HoosierPal likes this

41 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

We are kind of getting into the old time view of basketball, most teams are playing their 4 on the wing. Obviously you have some blue bloods and other programs with two legit bigs (Duke) but a lot of teams are moving in the direction of the NBA and playing 4 out 1 in with the 4 being more of a hybrid type forward. Every program is going to sell Liddell on playing that kind of stretch 4 position in my opinion and he is perfect for it where as playing a guy like Goodwin who was more of a force in the paint as the point guard is something not all programs would be willing to do.

Which is why Ford needs to sell him on playing the 3 at SLU.  That is his only true path to big riches in the NBA.  He is too short to be a stretch 4 in the NBA.  A stretch 4 really loses his value in the NBA when you can have a guard like Patrick McCaw defend him. 

He needs to continue to develop true wing skills and to play at a program that will give him a chance to showcase those skills.  SLU has more than enough talent on the frontline to let him play the wing as a freshman.  Plus, he will be close year round to the Beagle skill instructors that he is comfortable working with.

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Which is why Ford needs to sell him on playing the 3 at SLU.  That is his only true path to big riches in the NBA.  He is too short to be a stretch 4 in the NBA.  A stretch 4 really loses his value in the NBA when you can have a guard like Patrick McCaw defend him. 

He needs to continue to develop true wing skills and to play at a program that will give him a chance to showcase those skills.  SLU has more than enough talent on the frontline to let him play the wing as a freshman.  Plus, he will be close year round to the Beagle skill instructors that he is comfortable working with.

My point is what is the difference between what we call the 3 and the 4 in a 4 out 1 in game? There isn’t much offensively and as more and more teams feature essentially 4 wing lineups, it won’t be as much on defense either (look at how many teams switch everything now). You can use whatever you want to sell a kid, I just don’t think that distinction is much compared to offering to play a guy like Goodwin at the point. Liddell is the perfect hybrid forward in today’s game whatever you want to call that position. Watching that kid rebound and block shots is special, so those are the traits you will want to utilize while he improves the rest of his game. To say it differently, watching Svi at Kansas (a 4) and Bess at SLU (a 3), offensively would you say Bess was a wing and Svi was a post player? Or heck same team, Svi versus Newman? The game today is so much less about true positions and more about utilizing the skill on your roster. Watching some guys using the old school positions you could say they are one position on offense and a different position on defense. I just don’t see this as a unique sell since most teams will be using him the same whether you call him a 3 or a 4.