Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, if a top 50 player comes to SLU and as a freshman delivers 8 and 4, I wouldn't say he's doing really good or that the coach deserves a lot of credit for his development. I suppose I could eat my words next year with Carteare, but I expect more than 8 and 4 from him.

HoosierPal, Zink and slufan13 like this

48 minutes ago, kshoe said:

In all seriousness, if a top 50 player comes to SLU and as a freshman delivers 8 and 4, I wouldn't say he's doing really good or that the coach deserves a lot of credit for his development. I suppose I could eat my words next year with Carteare, but I expect more than 8 and 4 from him.

My thoughts exactly

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Yeah, I would say on paper those numbers are certainly low in today's game (I think you would expect closer to 12 and 6 from a top 50 big), but considering the player I think it is in line with what I expected due to just how raw he is and considering the amount of time he spends on the bench due to foul trouble (or playing with foul trouble which really limits him). Tilmon is incredibly raw and just an unsound player (really low understanding of the game), so at the high major level where guys are capable of guarding him in the paint (and defenses that double down) he struggles to score due to a complete lack of offensive skills. Watching him play a lot, there are things he does that are natural for him that are just incredibly rare for a guy of his size, his feet are ridiculous. He was a top 50 player not because of where he was as a player out of high school, but because of his ceiling which is quite high. He has a lot of things to work on. I think he certainly has NBA qualities, but it might take him a few years before the NBA finds him to be an attractive player. With how the NBA game has changed, his current skill set isn't as much in demand. Whereas Jontay Porter (averaging 9.5 points/6.7 rebounds/2.1 assists/1.7 blocks), has the type of skills for a big man that the NBA finds quite desirable, so he might be a more attractive NBA prospect than his college numbers would dictate. A kid like Gordon is much more developed as a player than Tilmon, so while he could average more from day #1, his ceiling is also quite a bit lower. Tyler Cook averaged 12.3 points and 5.3 rebounds and that is likely a decent comp for Gordon (although Cook has/had zero baggage and Gordon is going to need a personal valet like Sheldon Richardson when he was in Columbia, MO).

SLU_Lax, cgeldmacher and Pistol like this

13 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I would say on paper those numbers are certainly low in today's game (I think you would expect closer to 12 and 6 from a top 50 big), but considering the player I think it is in line with what I expected due to just how raw he is and considering the amount of time he spends on the bench due to foul trouble (or playing with foul trouble which really limits him). Tilmon is incredibly raw and just an unsound player (really low understanding of the game), so at the high major level where guys are capable of guarding him in the paint (and defenses that double down) he struggles to score due to a complete lack of offensive skills. Watching him play a lot, there are things he does that are natural for him that are just incredibly rare for a guy of his size, his feet are ridiculous. He was a top 50 player not because of where he was as a player out of high school, but because of his ceiling which is quite high. He has a lot of things to work on. I think he certainly has NBA qualities, but it might take him a few years before the NBA finds him to be an attractive player. With how the NBA game has changed, his current skill set isn't as much in demand. Whereas Jontay Porter (averaging 9.5 points/6.7 rebounds/2.1 assists/1.7 blocks), has the type of skills for a big man that the NBA finds quite desirable, so he might be a more attractive NBA prospect than his college numbers would dictate. A kid like Gordon is much more developed as a player than Tilmon, so while he could average more from day #1, his ceiling is also quite a bit lower. Tyler Cook averaged 12.3 points and 5.3 rebounds and that is likely a decent comp for Gordon (although Cook has/had zero baggage and Gordon is going to need a personal valet like Sheldon Richardson when he was in Columbia, MO).

Nice writeup.

St. Mary's and Confluence play tonight for the Class 4, District 3 finals. There's a broadcast that will go live here. Good chance to see SLU offer Yuri Collins go up against a fun, talented PG (Brandon Fredrick). Both teams are very good, and each has a winning streak of 10 or more games heading into tonight's game. It's a shame this one is so early in the playoffs because they're both legit contenders.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

St. Mary's and Confluence play tonight for the Class 4, District 3 finals. There's a broadcast that will go live here. Good chance to see SLU offer Yuri Collins go up against a fun, talented PG (Brandon Fredrick). Both teams are very good, and each has a winning streak of 10 or more games heading into tonight's game. It's a shame this one is so early in the playoffs because they're both legit contenders.

It should be a great game. It sold out yesterday from what I heard. Old South Side Catholic will be rocking tonight.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It should be a great game. It sold out yesterday from what I heard. Old South Side Catholic will be rocking tonight.

I somehow never realized that was the original name of St. Mary's until I got curious about the jerseys they've been wearing lately. I thought it was just a nickname. Very cool.

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Brian you going? Rock the Billiken Blue. Make sure to say what up to T Ford

I won't be there. I wish I could make it. I grew up with a lot of guys that went to St Marys and as a result have always rooted for them.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I somehow never realized that was the original name of St. Mary's until I got curious about the jerseys they've been wearing lately. I thought it was just a nickname. Very cool.

Pistol, Pistol, Pistol...You graduated from a Marianist high school and didn't know the roots of St. Mary's.  Did you miss orientation?  By the way, McBride (also a Marianist high school) was originally named Kenrick High School (named after the first Archbishop of St. Louis).  Man, I thought I taught you all this.

TheChosenOne and Pistol like this

On 2/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, Slubills23 said:

As a freshman big who has had trouble with fouls early and not so much lately I would say those are good stats.  Are they amazing no but he is also only averaging 19 minutes a game.  Just saying they are good numbers and if SLU had that would be a big help no?  I mean French has very similar numbers and I feel he has had a good season or done well.  Especially according to most here.

Actually French has better numbers less fouls better scoring average far less turnovers and a lot more assists and a higher rebounding average.  Tilmon’s 62 turnovers vs 14 assists is really bad.  I expected more production a good example is what Porter has done this season, that is what I call really good.  Sorry guys about the MU talk just making a point I will refrain.

24 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Actually French has better numbers less fouls better scoring average far less turnovers and a lot more assists and a higher rebounding average.  Tilmon’s 62 turnovers vs 14 assists is really bad.  I expected more production a good example is what Porter has done this season, that is what I call really good.  Sorry guys about the MU talk just making a point I will refrain.

French is a far better defensive player than Tilmon is at this stage in their careers.

12 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

French is a far better defensive player than Tilmon is at this stage in their careers.

Agree 100 percent so far I would rather have French over Tilmon.  French's passing, assists and offensive rebounds have been a big part of our offense.

18 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Agree 100 percent so far I would rather have French over Tilmon.  French's passing, assists and offensive rebounds have been a big part of our offense.

French’s passing and court vision are the most underrated part of his game right now. The strides he has made in that area this season are impressive.

15 hours ago, GMan Alum said:

Pistol, Pistol, Pistol...You graduated from a Marianist high school and didn't know the roots of St. Mary's.  Did you miss orientation?  By the way, McBride (also a Marianist high school) was originally named Kenrick High School (named after the first Archbishop of St. Louis).  Man, I thought I taught you all this.

You probably did. I remember the Kenrick-McBride thing. Don't worry, I've managed to hang on to the more crucial life lessons you taught me.

(By the way, I actually did miss orientation one year along with your son because you took us to Vegas. I learned more from George Carlin than I could have from those Marianists, anyway.)

St. Mary's-Confluence didn't end up being much of a game. I couldn't tune in until it was already late in the third quarter. Brandon Fredrick was being helped off the court with an injury, Yuri Collins had already been given a seat for the night, and Yahuza Rasas was joining him because the game was out of hand. 91-64 was the final and it was already about a 30-point margin by then. Collins finished with 19, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals, mostly in the first half.

Anyway, St. Mary's-Vashon should be a good matchup in sectionals. They play March 6th at 8:00 at Parkway West. Lots of SLU recruits on the floor: Yuri Collins, Mario McKinney, Cam'Ron Fletcher, Kobe Clark.

If the other piece of info you shared last week is also true - the one about the grad transfer PG for 2018-2019 - then I really like this development. Makes complete sense from a roster construction standpoint, and I think Collins is flying too far under the radar.

The St. Mary's-Vashon game tomorrow night was already top-notch local HS basketball viewing, but this makes it appointment viewing for SLU fans. We would have four offered players on the floor, with one possible commitment. 8:00 at Parkway West.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If the other piece of info you shared last week is also true - the one about the grad transfer PG for 2018-2019 - then I really like this development. Makes complete sense from a roster construction standpoint, and I think Collins is flying too far under the radar.

The St. Mary's-Vashon game tomorrow night was already top-notch local HS basketball viewing, but this makes it appointment viewing for SLU fans. We would have four offered players on the floor, with one possible commitment. 8:00 at Parkway West.

Probably takes SLU out of the  conversation on Mark Smith too (if it was even anything beyond this board). 

Also helps that he runs w/ the Eagles (Liddell, etc.)