Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-if the player goes to DeSmet our coach could watch the player an unlimited number of times as son is on the team , I trust this would work a whole lot better than the last time a SLU coach was said to be taking this approach 

-if the kid goes to WG, the Gordon could recruit the heck out of him every day

-if we get Davis from CCP, same there

-I don't know about the U High having a connection other than perhaps the biggest of them all.....he likes Being a Billiken 

Or he could work Gordon away from us.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

This is how the MU posters generally show their a$$, heh

edit: unless I'm confusing you with another cheese poster, either way, big thumbs down 

Cheeseman is a good SLU fan poster; he's not to be confused with cheesycow.  I think you're misreading his post: he's wanting to avoid having an outside recruit sway Gordon away from ending up at SLU.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Cheeseman is a good SLU fan poster; he's not to be confused with cheesycow.  I think you're misreading his post: he's wanting to avoid having an outside recruit sway Gordon away from ending up at SLU.

Ah yes cheesycow, thanks. Apologies cheeseman, I just dislike when stuff like that gets tossed out for no reason. Tends to snowball 

Bruce Weber is a solid recruiter at the top 150 to top 300 level.  Unfortunately for him, Coach Ford and Cuonzo are much better recruiters than the guys they are replacing.  He desperately needs for next year's K State team to be better than SLU and Mizzou's.  His recruiting pitch won't be nearly as appealing once our teams begin outperforming his.

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bruce Weber is a solid recruiter at the top 150 to top 300 level.  Unfortunately for him, Coach Ford and Cuonzo are much better recruiters than the guys they are replacing.  He desperately needs for next year's K State team to be better than SLU and Mizzou's.  His recruiting pitch won't be nearly as appealing once our teams begin outperforming his.

Oh, I agree. I just mean that for now, K-State is head-to-head with us on a higher number of recruits than any other program. Mizzou and Illinois will pass K-State soon, I'm sure, although it'll be hard to measure because some offers and interest will be stale and it'll be hard to tell which without diving into their individual recruiting details, which I'm not going to do.

21 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-if the player goes to DeSmet our coach could watch the player an unlimited number of times as son is on the team , I trust this would work a whole lot better than the last time a SLU coach was said to be taking this approach 

-if the kid goes to WG, the Gordon could recruit the heck out of him every day

-if we get Davis from CCP, same there

-I don't know about the U High having a connection other than perhaps the biggest of them all.....he likes Being a Billiken 

Or he could work Gordon away from us.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Oh, I agree. I just mean that for now, K-State is head-to-head with us on a higher number of recruits than any other program. Mizzou and Illinois will pass K-State soon, I'm sure, although it'll be hard to measure because some offers and interest will be stale and it'll be hard to tell which without diving into their individual recruiting details, which I'm not going to do.

Yeah.  I was sad to see that K-State is continuing to succeed.  Weber gets too many of our local kids.  It's a shame he's so likeable, otherwise, I'd hate him more.  Even if he got fired at K-State, I'd be worried he'd land at SIU-C or MoState and continue torment us on the recruiting trail.

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I like this post 

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

"Our teams"?

There is always going to be competition for quality local recruits, whether it comes from regional schools or national schools, but I have confidence in Ford's ability to recruit. I was very impressed with one of his early interviews after taking over last year. His previous experience at UMass helped prepare him for this job. He has a recruiting strategy that makes sense for the A-10. 

He said he was going to make St. Louis a priority, which he clearly has done, but he's not going to put all his eggs in the local basket. He said that in the A-10 it was important to have an assistant with East Coast connections. That's something I have been saying since we joined the league. He also mentioned that from his experience at OSU, some urban kids aren't comfortable going to school in a small town. They'd rather go to an urban school and it is key to identify those type of kids that might be a good fit. Also from his time at OSU, he developed good contacts in the south - Texas, Louisiana and Florida... as evidenced he has already landed Johnson and Henriquez.

Regardless of what SPUMAC or other schools are doing recruiting-wise in this area, I have a lot of confidence that Ford and staff will be able to consistently recruit quality talent.

I am not so sure about Mizzou suddenly producing results.  They haven't won an NCAA game in seven seasons and have won a conference title in 23 years.  Martin has never dealt with a total rebuild project.  He has always walked into a good situation.  I wouldn't go assuming that Mizzou is going to start outperforming KSU.  

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am not so sure about Mizzou suddenly producing results.  They haven't won an NCAA game in seven seasons and have won a conference title in 23 years.  Martin has never dealt with a total rebuild project.  He has always walked into a good situation.  I wouldn't go assuming that Mizzou is going to start outperforming KSU.  

Mizzou sucks right now, But Porter and the role players in Columbia right now is enough to make the Tigers respectable next year.  And once Mizzou logs one respectable season, the local media will begin singing his praises. Bernie and company are nothing if not predictable.  And there's a large contingent in the African-American community that's been waiting ages for a black coach to rally around.  Those factors will make Martin a major player in the recruitment of Hargrove and McKinney. 

If you ask me to bet on the long term recruiting success of a 60 year old journeyman P5 coach vs a 45 year old journeyman P5 coach, I'm picking the young guy.  But I'm picking Coach Ford over both of them because the A10 is an easier league. Our local kids will succeed earlier and more often than theirs will.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

"Our teams"?

Oh for Christ's sake, give it a rest.  It's OK if people don't share your hatred of all things mizzou. You can be a fan of both teams without being a traitor.  My sister graduated from slu, got her masters at mizzou, and now she works at Kansas.  She rooted for the Jayhawks during the tournament because  it was fun.  Everyone has a hierarchy of teams they root for-  I bleed BilliKen blue, and I mildly root for Missouri.  Does that make me a bad person?  I don't need the fan police coming after me because my heart is not pure enough.

9 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Oh for Christ's sake, give it a rest.  It's OK if people don't share your hatred of all things mizzou. You can be a fan of both teams without being a traitor.  My sister graduated from slu, got her masters at mizzou, and now she works at Kansas.  She rooted for the Jayhawks during the tournament because  it was fun.  Everyone has a hierarchy of teams they root for-  I bleed BilliKen blue, and I mildly root for Missouri.  Does that make me a bad person?  I don't need the fan police coming after me because my heart is not pure enough.

It was tongue in cheek. I know 3 star is a Mizzou guy...