Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So if we have 3 players in the top 40 from Eagles, why hasn't Tate locked in on them or are we waiting until after the AAU season

Leech (Poplar Bluff) and Okoro (Normal) are both 2.5 hours away from STL, and Wiseman (Nashville) is 4 hours away. Leech and Wiseman have been on college radars since the second they set foot in HS, if not sooner. They've been recruited from all over the place since before Ford took over. So they're not "local" kids and they've had bigger programs on them sooner. I'm not saying we don't have a shot at any of them - it's still early, a lot can change - but I wouldn't count on any.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I heard Frank say on his show yesterday that SLU is in good shape with EJ Liddell right now. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago where he said that Illinois is his favorite right now, but that could change if Groce is shown the door after this year.

"In good shape" could merely mean being in his top 10 or top 5.

53 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

"In good shape" could merely mean being in his top 10 or top 5.

Which at this point is fine.  We've got a little less than 2 years until he can commit.  Keep good relations with him, bring him to next year's beat downs of Dayton and VCU, and show him that the past 3 years are an anomaly. 

42 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Which at this point is fine.  We've got a little less than 2 years until he can commit.  Keep good relations with him, bring him to next year's beat downs of Dayton and VCU, and show him that the past 3 years are an anomaly. 

Agreed. Good to hear we are at least near the top of his list at this point.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We've gotten so spoiled so fast with recruiting.  Now we expect to get all the top local players.  Not sure our expectations are unreasonable either.

You're completely right, cgeldmacher. With the exception of Tilmon or Ramey, I practically expect us to get any local recruit we go after now, although deep down I know that's completely unrealistic.

The funny thing is I remember when Ford got the job he was doing a radio interview and was asked, "How can you get local 4 star recruits to come to SLU?" His response was, "It just takes one. If you get one on board then others will follow."

Goodwin was the one. 

42 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We've gotten so spoiled so fast with recruiting.  Now we expect to get all the top local players.  Not sure our expectations are unreasonable either.

This is true, but don't forget about Will Bailey and Van Macon.  They are wired into Chicago and metro NY/NE.  So we don't want to put blinders on to other areas.  Say we have 4 scholarships available, I'm good with the top two locals and two studs not from around here.  Build our base around STL, but accept those McD All Americans who are begging to wear the Billiken logo.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is true, but don't forget about Will Bailey and Van Macon.  They are wired into Chicago and metro NY/NE.  So we don't want to put blinders on to other areas.  Say we have 4 scholarships available, I'm good with the top two locals and two studs not from around here.  Build our base around STL, but accept those McD All Americans who are begging to wear the Billiken logo.

Not to mention Ford still has a big presence in dallas/fort worth. Nash, Smart and Evans

36 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The bags of cash lying around at Chaifetz make it this way

-come on, this makes it sound tawdry, the cash is in leather briefcases with monogramed buckles with the recruits initials, while we don't know how to spell our mascot we know how to store and distribute cash, btw we don't use Emery Air Freight either

• 2 weeks later...