True story behind Jayson Tatum not committing to SLU

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issues plugging my own articles here. Interested to know what the rest of you think:

https://crossoverreport.com/2016/04/14/how-slu-lost-top-recruit-jayson-tatums-commitment-hurts-my-soul/

Haha this is almost comical.

1) If you are going to pretend to be a real journalist then write like one.

2) Real journalists are 100% sure of their sources and don't have to write they are 99% sure.

3) I remember Tatum being at several games but not "almost every game"

4) What frat parties did he go to? This seems highly stupid of him and unlikely.

Crews was obviously not a great coach but making up stories about him is pretty low. Better luck with your next tale.

2) Real journalists are 100% sure of their sources and don't have to write they are 99% sure.

4) What frat parties did he go to? This seems highly stupid of him and unlikely.

Crews was obviously not a great coach but making up stories about him is pretty low. Better luck with your next tale.

The heat has been brought-en.

Hey guys I was frozen in a block of ice for the last year and my friend found me while trying to build a pool in his backyard, defrosted me. What's up?..........Oh still this......where's the Frigidaire?

ice_zpsbsnl53mh.jpg

Clearly Tatum loves Duke more than he loves his little buddy Barnes, because if he REALLY wanted to play with the kid, I'm sure there would have been at least one program out there willing to accept the package deal.

It seems rather obvious that he was choosing between going to an elite blue blood (like 99% of elite recruits) or staying home and becoming a local legend at SLU. In order for him to choose SLU over all of the advantages the elite programs offer he likely wanted a certain degree of comfort around that decision which could have included an offer to his best friend, a position for his father on the coaching staff, etc. Whether or not those things would have sealed the deal, we will never know. I am sure Mizzou fans will be having these same discussions when the local star commits to an elite blue blood instead of staying home a handful of months from now. Following Tatum's career it is crazy the amount of celebrity these high school stars are receiving before they set foot on a college campus and I think those things are making it even more difficult for the non blue bloods to land these kids.

It seems rather obvious that he was choosing between going to an elite blue blood or staying home and becoming a local legend at SLU. In order for him to choose SLU over all of the advantages the elite programs offer he likely wanted a certain degree of comfort around that decision which could have included an offer to his best friend, a position for his father on the coaching staff, etc. Whether or not those things would have sealed the deal, we will never know. I am sure Mizzou fans will be having these same discussions when the local star commits to an elite blue blood instead of staying home a handful of months from now.

It looks more like Justin Tatum angling to get one of his players an offer... young Tatum was ultimately more interested in playing for Duke than with his little buddy, and I certainly can't blame him.

I don't know what the deal was with crews and tatums dad, but I heard there was a blow out at dinner with some of the main donors between crews and tatums dad about him wanting an assistant position and crews wanting Cheney instead. For whatever reason it seems crews did not want tatums dad on the staff. But what do I know.

The dad as an assistant angle has been blown completely out of proportion. I was for hiring his father, but that would NOT have guaranteed his commitment. In fact, it's very possible it would have sealed the deal against us. Jayson's mother was in control the entire time. If you didn't already know that then you likely know very little about the whole situation.

I can at least vouch for the fact that he attended a frat/athlete party on his visit. Can't speak to the veracity of the rest of the article, but there are a lot of reasons he didn't come here - at least we've gotten rid of a few.

Not that I disagree with most of what you are saying, but I can confirm his presence at multiple parties around campus. And let's just say he had a good time.

I also know Tatum played pickup with the current team plenty so some players might have some kind of knowledge into his recruitment. I still don't buy the Barnes thing being a make or break deal though. Part of the equation? Sure. But not make or break.

I also think there are very, very few people who know the whole story regarding Tatum. Any SLU insider is going to know the SLU-side of the story which certainly isn't complete. Any Tatum insider is going to know the Tatum-side which isn't complete. I think SLU is looking to make up excuses for not landing him. And I think the Tatum side is making up excuses to make it look like SLU didn't do enough.

Like I said, I'm glad we didn't get him. It'd be one solid year and it would have bought Crews and his staff more time. That would have been a nightmare.

This doesn't smell true, ring true, sound true, or anything sounding true.

Let's pretend for moment those things were said. A kid saying that he would come to St.Louis if you bring my buddy with me. Sounds like something a kid would say when he had no intention of coming anyway. Making an offer that no self-respecting coach would ever accept. What is Crews would have accepted that and the point guard wasn't up to division 1 level and benched him or decided that he didn't deserve this scholarship the next year? Does Tatum automatically leave the program as well? I don't see a head basketball coach putting himself in that position. Especially a coach that has been coaching as long as Crews had. I also don't believe a high-level recruit would be advised to even ask that question in the first place unless he's a total dummy. I certainly don't think Coach K would put up with that either.

I think the package deal stuff is dumb,

But you make a statement "what if he wasnr up to d1 level"

Crews and his homie Platt brought Jolly here. They were not shy about offering questionable talent. If Jolly was d1 talent, barnes was lightyears ahead. There is no defending the Crews era at all. His one redeeming moment the past two years was his exit press conference. Guy was beyond horrible. Still in shock we got stuck with the failed Army staff. Best we could do after Rick... Sad.

Seriously, if you look at Tatum's choices, how can anyone honestly think we were really in the hunt. Go to Duke and have a legit shot at playing for a national championship, or go to SLU and struggle to reach .500 with a lousy surrounding cast. Pretty much a no brainer, wouldn't you agree?

Seriously, if you look at Tatum's choices, how can anyone honestly think we were really in the hunt. Go to Duke and have a legit shot at playing for a national championship, or go to SLU and struggle to reach .500 with a lousy surrounding cast. Pretty much a no brainer, wouldn't you agree?

Eh yes and no. If the kid is really a fan of the program, then he'd actually want to come here, but it'd be stupid to not keep options open. When I was 18 (and if I wasn't white, slow, and couldn't jump), I would've picked SLU over anywhere else. I'm not the only one either. Kids grow up as fans of a certain program and if that one comes calling...

I said he's better than any guard we have now and then. .

I agree going forward we have to do better, but a year ago those in charge could not and did not.

Really??? Have you seen Jermaine Bishop play? Come on Roy, get over your hate. It's bad for your health.

At least we agree on moving forward.

I have no issues plugging my own articles here. Interested to know what the rest of you think:

https://crossoverreport.com/2016/04/14/how-slu-lost-top-recruit-jayson-tatums-commitment-hurts-my-soul/

What you are doing in this story is basically accessing the Tatum camp of blackmail. You should think twice before you attempt to damage someone's reputation.

You even put it in quotes. I'd like to hear your recording of this conversation. Shameful journalism.

Jayson Tatum, the #1 (or 2 depending on the site) recruit said flat out to Coach Jim Crews: “Give my starting point guard a scholarship offer, and I’ll commit to SLU”. And Crews said “Nah, I’m good”.