Ford Press Conference Thread

Anyone there to tell us what players are in attendance?

From what I could see (I was there), MC, MB, JB, MN, EW, AG, BJ, and maybe a few others I couldn't distinguish from behind were seated together in matching team polos. MR and AY were seated elsewhere. Couldn't tell if someone else who was with them was DR.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Chaifetz was there, had a big smile on his face after the presser. Who was the other man wearing the Windsor (driver or golfer) cap?

I'm just an MBM but I'm pretty sure that's Kim Tucci, of Pasta House fame and the guy that thinks Gus is hilarious.

Travis Ford hit a grand slam in that press conference.

It was obvious the media likes him, and he is very good with the media.

With Mizzou in the deep abyss, Illinois struggling, and the Rams moving to LA, there is a big opening for St. Louis U.

College Basketball, properly played, is a great sport to watch, a whole lot of fun.

Others have said it, but I'll add to it. Ford was impressive. Can really work a room. Said all of the right things.

He wasn't my first choice, but I'm energized now.

He looked like a Southern preacher out there, the way he took the mic and walked around the stage away from the podium. I had not really seen many interviews with him, but was impressed. He definitely brought the enthusiasm and I liked the recruiting talk. A very good first impression and I think he will do a good job getting recruits attention and the media energized. It's a good start, but ultimately it always boils down to winning.

One thing I think we all need to also consider is that SLU can really start to capitalize more on the STL market with a guy like Ford energizing the media.

I agree. When watching him I was reminded a bit of Charlie Spoonhour and the hold he had on not only the media but the St Louis sports fan in general.

Rather or not it will translate to success on the floor remains to be seen, but he will do very well from a PR perspective.

Do you really think he will energize the media as much as hiring a former Final Four coach did? Even then, the interest didn't last long.

Ford will do much better with the media than Crews, Majerus, or Soderberg. Majerus had great success on the court, but he probably wasn't willing to make the media feel special to give him great coverage.

I was there and it looked like eventually all the players were there - maybe missed one? Ford said that after he met with the team last night the players were given his phone # and he said he got several texts from them telling him how great it was to meet him. He is going to the Final Four to put his staff together. I tried to ask a question but was not seen by the guy with the mic. I wanted to ask how long he expected until his staff was completed. Maybe one of the media guys will ask him. He said all the right things but really what did you expect. I am willing to give him a chance and I spoke with several boosters who were not thrilled with the hire at first but seemed open to him now. Chaifetz was there and he had a big smile on his face. The real question is in my mind - having been to the top of the mountain does he want back or is he someone who now realizes that a place like SLU could be just fine for him. By the way he said he grew up a Cards fan and that his kids are all Cards fans. Of course he is friends with Holiday - he went to OKS so I am sure Ford met him and his father before.

Have to admit I'm more excited after the press conference than I was before. I share the "Show-Me" sentiment with other posters, but it is definitely a nice change of pace to have a young, high-energy guy as the face of the program. Hopefully this translates into success on the recruiting trail and on the court.

Ford will do much better with the media than Crews, Majerus, or Soderberg. Majerus had great success on the court, but he probably wasn't willing to make the media feel special to give him great coverage.

Majerus didn't give a sh*t and candidly I liked it. He big timed the local media and the local high school basketball community and I really enjoyed it. Those people are small time and shouldn't be catered to by a guy like Majerus. While that worked for Majerus who was going to have success regardless of whether you write nice things about him or send your players to him, those relationships are more important for lesser coaches. That is where I think a guy like Ford could be a welcome addition, he should be able to help on both fronts with his Midwest aw-shucks personality.

Do you really think he will energize the media as much as hiring a former Final Four coach did? Even then, the interest didn't last long.

Majerus didn't care about local media other then his dining buddy Bernie. He did have favorites in the national media.

Majerus didn't give a sh*t and candidly I liked it. He big timed the local media and the local high school basketball community and I really enjoyed it. Those people are small time and shouldn't be catered to by a guy like Majerus. While that worked for Majerus who was going to have success regardless of whether you write nice things about him or send your players to him, those relationships are more important for lesser coaches. That is where I think a guy like Ford could be a welcome addition, he should be able to help on both fronts with his Midwest aw-shucks personality.

Maybe Ford turns out to be that kind of guy, I guess. I just think it's a little weird that local media types like Frank and Bernie are playing up his "big time" angle coming from the Big 12 at the same time people here are talking about how he will be more down to earth and less big shotty toward local media.