Ford Press Conference Thread

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8th Q was about styles at both ends.

"Offensively, we want to pressure the defense, get on fast breaks, but it is not run and gun. We don't force thing. My offense is about spacing...ball movement, player movement...people say I run an NBA-style offense, which is probably true. I study NBA teams."

"Defensively, I like to be aggressive. We like to press...we want to make other teams uncomfortable. We want to take strengths away, maximize weaknesses. Very big on game preparations."

Soderballs, slufan13 and others will be so disappointed that he didn't announce that he has withdrawn scholarships for Jolly, Milik and the rest of the sophs.

I think Milik can play. I hope his attitude is resolved and he stays.

8th Q was about styles at both ends.

"Offensively, we want to pressure the defense, get on fast breaks, but it is not run and gun. We don't force thing. My offense is about spacing...ball movement, player movement...people say I run an NBA-style offense, which is probably true. I study NBA teams."

"Defensively, I like to be aggressive. We like to press...we want to make other teams uncomfortable. We want to take strengths away, maximize weaknesses. Very big on game preparations."

-I like this

-I would love to watch the entire presser, hope it will be on the SLU website later

He said a lot of the right things, that's for sure.

• He's already recruiting. This is #1 for me.
  • He's getting the former SLU basketball community involved. Hughes was in the house. He's talked to several already, more on the way. Tatum is a good guy to get to know, Coach. Claggs, he mentioned by name. Love that.
  • He wants to change the culture. Modeling us after Villanova and Xavier - that's a brilliant thing to say, in my book. Those programs are everything we should aspire to, given our institutional similarities. He doesn't want to be Dayton, he wants to beat Dayton. Very good.
  • He wants to play a faster, more exciting style. We haven't had that since Romar. As much as I loved and admired the way Majerus' teams played, there was still a lot of slow, ugly basketball in his years. This will be refreshing for SLU fans.
  • He was gracious and warm, genuinely thankful for the opportunity. He was vague where he probably needed to be (it's not like he's going to say, "I'm going to send Jolly packing" in his presser) and he got more to the point where he could. This has only been his job for about 15 hours, so he's limited as to what he can do and say today.

So as critical as I am of his on-court performance over the years, there's nothing to do but give the guy a chance. He at least has the right vision for the program, and is setting about it the right way. Our last three head coaches have not been the easiest guys to deal with in terms of media and community relations, and I think he's the opposite. So that's refreshing.

To the people that think Ford is going to bring a much more uptempo offense to SLU..........

This past season Okie St played at a much slower pace than SLU.

wasnt their starting backcourt injured all season?

Jayson? Or Justin?

Jayson went to school today (flew back from Chicago at 5 am) and won Gatorade National Player of the Year. I imagine Justin tried to get over there for the press conference, too. It was a surprise to him: "I'm glad I came to school today!"