Ford and Assistants

3Bill

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-well, the results make it hard to believe

Really? To me, the results back this up: Platt as lead recruiter = least talented Billikens team in decades. When I said it "makes no sense," I meant that as it makes no sense that Crews would hire Platt, let alone have him as the head of recruiting on his staff.

Coach Ford went to the Final Four to assemble a staff. Why have we not heard anything yet about any hires? Is it possible they decided to wait until after the championship game to make announcements, and we'll hear something today?

I dont recall Ford saying he will have a staff finalized by then, I think that was just the start or the search.

I dont recall Ford saying he will have a staff finalized by then, I think that was just the start or the search.

It's tough waiting around for all these decisions. We had to wait for what seemed forever to name a new coach and now we got to wait on assistants. I understand that it takes time to do things, but I'm way too impatient for stuff like this.

Dont think there is any way our new assistant coaches would already be announced. The tournament just ended yesterday. I would expect his assistants would want to check out St Louis, SLU's campus, etc before signing a contract. Not to mention contracts need to be negotiated. My guess is we should start hearing some rumblings this weekend.

TFord could already have his assistants lined up, but since they are not on the staff at this time, they could be out recruiting until the open period starts this Thursday at 11am through Sunday.

Dead periods: April 1-7 (noon); and 11-14

Recruiting periods: April 7 (noon) through April 10 and 18-20

Evaluation periods: April 15-17 and 22-24 (certified events only) -- During the April evaluation periods, evaluations shall be limited to nonscholastic events that are certified per NCAA Bylaw 13.18.

Quiet periods: April 21; and 25-30

Quiet period: May 1-18 and 28-31 (Coaches may attend the NBA Draft Combine as an evaluation period for the combine only).

Dead period: May 19-27

TFord could already have his assistants lined up, but since they are not on the staff at this time, they could be out recruiting until the open period starts this Thursday at 11am through Sunday.

Dead periods: April 1-7 (noon); and 11-14

Recruiting periods: April 7 (noon) through April 10 and 18-20

Evaluation periods: April 15-17 and 22-24 (certified events only) -- During the April evaluation periods, evaluations shall be limited to nonscholastic events that are certified per NCAA Bylaw 13.18.

Quiet periods: April 21; and 25-30

Quiet period: May 1-18 and 28-31 (Coaches may attend the NBA Draft Combine as an evaluation period for the combine only).

Dead period: May 19-27

If they are still working at another school they would not be able to recruit the dead period.

I wonder if John Pelphrey is an option for one of the assistant spots. He was a teammate of Ford's for one year at Kentucky and took this last year off so he might be looking for a job.

In his last year at Arkansas he recruied a top ten ranked class but never got to coach them. They let him go to bring back Mike Anderson. After Arkansas he went back to Billy Donovan's staff at Florida for 4 years till Donovan jumped to the NBA.

Apparently he had this to say after Ford was hired here:

"Travis Fords Ex-Teammate at Kentucky, John Pelphrey, Chats with Frank Cusumano on The Press Box

On his recruiting ability:

Theyve gotten people from all over. They really did a good job in Texas. They got a lot of good players out of Texas. I always thought hed be a great fit. I think hell be able to recruit very well. I think hell do a good job in St. Louis.

I wonder if John Pelphrey is an option for one of the assistant spots. He was a teammate of Ford's for one year at Kentucky and took this last year off so he might be looking for a job.

In his last year at Arkansas he recruied a top ten ranked class but never got to coach them. They let him go to bring back Mike Anderson. After Arkansas he went back to Billy Donovan's staff at Florida for 4 years till Donovan jumped to the NBA.

"Travis Fords Ex-Teammate at Kentucky, John Pelphrey, Chats with Frank Cusumano on The Press Box

Theyve gotten people from all over. They really did a good job in Texas. They got a lot of good players out of Texas. I always thought hed be a great fit. I think hell be able to recruit very well. I think hell do a good job in St. Louis.

Ford and Pelphrey were roommates at Kentucky. Apparently Pelphrey did some broadcasting this past season. After getting fired by Arkansas, he returned to Florida to work for Billy Donovan again, but didn't follow Billy to Oklahoma City. He wasn't retained by new Florida coach Mike White.

I know that Pelphrey, Donovan, and Anthony Grant are really close. Ford seems to be close to Donovan and Pelphrey, so that could be a place Pelphrey would look for a job. I think it would be a good hire if it was an option.

Pelphrey would be an outstanding hire for Ford.

Here's my question. With Ford running workouts now, is he doing that with the current assistants? I'm just curious is Cheaney is still with the team and what his probabilities of being retained are.

As for Pelphrey, that does sound like a great option.

Here's my question. With Ford running workouts now, is he doing that with the current assistants? I'm just curious is Cheaney is still with the team and what his probabilities of being retained are.

As for Pelphrey, that does sound like a great option.

None of the assistants (Platt, Bronson, Cheaney, Danny Brown) was retained when Coach Crews was fired. As of this morning, there were no assistant coaches.

Ford's biggest problem with the Oklahoma State fan base was that his name wasn't Sutton.

...and the fact that his teams are horribly undisciplined and inefficient. I hope he does well at SLU, but get ready to pull your hair out. Oh yeah, and that up tempo, pressing fun style never happened in 8 years in Stillwater.

...and the fact that his teams are horribly undisciplined and inefficient. I hope he does well at SLU, but get ready to pull your hair out. Oh yeah, and that up tempo, pressing fun style never happened in 8 years in Stillwater.

We were 240th in the country on the Pomeroy ratings this past year. Ill take my chances with Ford. You have no idea what we went through these past two years. Abysmal performance.