Coach Ford Officially Hired as SLU Head Coach

I'm trying to get there, but this just reeks of 8th choice. And then I wonder how the process got so incredibly screwed up that the best choice was Travis Ford. Im having trouble seeing how this winds up with anything but another search in 4-5 years.

I suspect this was the second choice. Many of the other names being bantered about on this board were merely Internet speculation.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not a "let's go buy season tickets" hire but it could be worse. Like you, I'm not sold....

Buy the time the season rolls around, I expect in my heart I will be drinking the kool aid. I expect there will be at least a couple of pretty good commitments by then. It will take more to convince my head.

At the end of the day, it is an incredibly relieving feeling to be moving on to a new era. Ford is 46 and could stay at SLU for a while. He has won 334 D1 games and is still probably growing as a coach.

At the end of the day, it is an incredibly relieving feeling to be moving on to a new era. Ford is 46 and could stay at SLU for a while. He has won 334 D1 games and is still probably growing as a coach.

This is what I am hoping for most. Always room for growth at that age, and he might recognize certain things he needs to improve on in terms of X's and O's.

I think you'll come around Moy. We need you. We need you.

Not sure anyone needs me, but I'll have my same season tix in 110 for next year and the years to follow. I don't like the hire, but it's done. Hoping for the best and would love to eat my words, but not expecting much.

Hiring a former Mizzou Tiger is definitely the way to go

Or at least someone who could recognize when he made a mistake and smart enough to get the f.ck out. You call him a former Mizzou Tiger but the reality is he realized the place sucked and he split.

Reports have him reviewing tape of our past season and predicting that all the ingredients for success are already here with the addition of a few more recruits... :wacko:

Whats he going to say day 1 of the job? "OH no no no, this sucks. WTF were you people doing here the last two years? GTFO. Every player needs to go. We are so next year"

I am just hoping the delay in the official signing/anouncement was so he could contact current recruits without legal worries. The big man was released from his LOI today if I am not mistaken. Maybe an official announcement would have added SLU to his excluded list of schools to transfer. I somewhat hoped the delay was longer.

Then again with Jolly gettinf older we probably don't need a 4 star big man.

I'm trying to get there, but this just reeks of 8th choice. And then I wonder how the process got so incredibly screwed up that the best choice was Travis Ford. Im having trouble seeing how this winds up with anything but another search in 4-5 years.

JMM if I may ask what makes you think you can achieve perfection (a perfect world, a perfect choice, a perfect wife, etc...) with any single choice you make in life? The same applies to schools and corporations. Perfection is not a choice, it takes work. So, OK let's say we made a couple of offers to potential head coaches that were rejected. Fine, if they do not want to come here or we cannot pay enough to them, or we are not attractive enough to them for whatever reason, they may as well continue with their lives and we will look elsewhere. Why is it that if it is not the first choice you made it has to be bad?

So, you preferred to have a different head coach, tough cookies to you, live with it, this is what you got. Once upon a time I wanted my first choice for a wife, and I got it, and Lord was it ever a terrible choice... I paid for my first choice in more ways I could have imagined...

So, we go for another search in 4-5 years, fine if that is what we have to do. Ever heard the story about making lemonade out of lemons, it happens to be true. Ford may not be perfect but it has a lot of good to offer the program. We will see what happens next won't we?