Thanks, Coach Crews

I met Crews three or four times during his time here. He was the kind of person who, when he talked to you, made you feel like he was paying attention and really interested in you, even if he was just meeting you or barely knew you.

I also agree with Dr. Pestello's "moral compass" comment. As I thought about it, Crews is the kind of guy who I hope will be the father-in-law when my daughter decides to get married.

Yes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone else posted, it was Jim Crews the basketball coach that we were angry with, not Jim Crews the man. By all accounts, he appears to be a classy individual. 3 years ago he found himself in a situation where he had SLU willing to give him a few million dollars to coach the team, after he was happily retired. Any of us would have taken that deal. Unfortunately things just didn't work out.

Few if any of us will ever know just how much of a role Crews had with those three NCAA teams. Regardless, he contributed something, and we should be thankful for that. We know that he helped some of our favorite SLU players cope with the death of Rick Majerus.

No doubt Jim Crews had been nailed to the cross on this board over the last two seasons. I'm as guilty as anyone, but very few slammed him as a person or his character. He showed that today and that needs to be respected. Good luck Jim Crews. We wished it would have ended better.

2 NCAA tournament wins. That's more than every other SLU coach besides Spoonhour who also had 2.

2 outright regular season conference titles. That's as many as every other SLU coach combined (Hickey had the other two in 1952 and 1957).

1 conference tournament title.That's as many as every other SLU coach combined.

In a perfect world Crews would have just ridden off into the sunset after 2013, but in an even more perfect world Majerus would still be coaching. In reality, we're lucky sh|t didn't completely unravel when Majerus' health declined.

Now let the healing process begin and remember Crews for the good times, not the bad.

Glad to see someone start this thread and at least recognize that, despite the failings, we had solid character of a coach who likely provided solid life lessons to a group of young men. Our nation severely lacks in role models who lead by example and put the interest of others well ahead that of their own. For that reason, I wish Crews could have taken more advantage of the situation he had presented to him but I won't begrudge the fact he failed. As many have stated, he was a good guy at the end of the day and I'm glad he was here at SLU.

Now....on to business and finding another high level character of a coach who can represent the university, recruit, develop, and coach this team back to a level we enjoyed only two years ago.

I just wanted to say that the thing I'll remember most about Coach Crews is the NC State win. I'm no basketball wiz, but I remember going over stats before the game and being really worried because they were better than us in every statistical category, except free throw shooting. When we started fouling with all that time left I thought to myself holy cow this is the smartest thing ever! After that I was all in with Crews. I'm genuinely bummed that it didn't work out better.

I wish you the best Coach Crews! Go Bills!

I just wanted to say that the thing I'll remember most about Coach Crews is the NC State win. I'm no basketball wiz, but I remember going over stats before the game and being really worried because they were better than us in every statistical category, except free throw shooting. When we started fouling with all that time left I thought to myself holy cow this is the smartest thing ever! After that I was all in with Crews. I'm genuinely bummed that it didn't work out better.

That was an amazing night. Best sporting event I've ever seen in person.

Thanks for the memories Coach. Things don't always work out as planned, however, you gave us 2 of the best 2 years of Billiken basketball that I can remember. I don't believe just anyone could have held those two teams together and accomplish what you did.

Thanks for the memories Coach. Things don't always work out as planned, however, you gave us 2 of the best 2 years of Billiken basketball that I can remember. I don't believe just anyone could have held those two teams together and accomplish what you did.

+2. Best of luck to you, Coach Crews. Thanks.

I agree with your last statement. He does deserve credit for that. I think a less experienced coach or one with a bigger ego would have tried to put his stamp on things after taking over for Majerus. And I think he deserves more credit for Jett's senior season than he gets. Some say that he burned that group out, but I simply don't think that team had a lot of depth - relying heavily on four players. It had less depth than the previous two teams. To get that group into the Top 10 was a great accomplishment. He obviously failed badly to build on Majerus' success. He was the right guy to be the interim coach and lead the RM era to conclusion, but the wrong guy to build on it and start the next era.

He obviously failed badly to build on Majerus' success. He was the right guy to be the interim coach and lead the RM era to conclusion, but the wrong guy to build on it and start the next era.

This was his primary undoing. Given what we've seen from his SO class, and Reggie to an extent, one would have thought better top notch recruits could have been landed. When you look at some of the talents playing in the A10, there was no good reason for his recruits to fall so far short. Second, the Sophs did not develop in the off season. Their games did not improve, and, actually, some regressed.

That was the most exciting Billikens game I have ever witnessed.

Re-watched Crews' presser again today and it led to me to a conclusion. While the entirety of the sophomore class will not be at SLU next year (not here to advocate for them to leave/stay), I would like to see them be successful in a twist of irony to Crews career here. Just as the players Rick left to Crews grew into the best stretch of SLU basketball we have seen, I would love to see the men Crews left behind do similar things for the next coach. These last two years have been rough, but what a fitting end to the Crews era it would be to see him sitting in the crowd at an NCAA game in two years, watching his guys prove him right. That would be a beautiful twist (since Rick never got to see the product live) on history repeating itself.

Re-watched Crews' presser again today and it led to me to a conclusion. While the entirety of the sophomore class will not be at SLU next year (not here to advocate for them to leave/stay), I would like to see them be successful in a twist of irony to Crews career here. Just as the players Rick left to Crews grew into the best stretch of SLU basketball we have seen, I would love to see the men Crews left behind do similar things for the next coach. These last two years have been rough, but what a fitting end to the Crews era it would be to see him sitting in the crowd at an NCAA game in two years, watching his guys prove him right. That would be a beautiful twist (since Rick never got to see the product live) on history repeating itself.

I think all of us want SLU to do well, but I doubt many people care whether or not it changes Crews' legacy here. He and his staff were pretty much a disaster and tore apart what Majerus built.

I think all of us want SLU to do well, but I doubt many people care whether or not it changes Crews' legacy here. He and his staff were pretty much a disaster and tore apart what Majerus built.

I just think it would be a cool thing to happen, considering we would be in the tourney and all. That is the thing I want to see more than anything else. SLU dancing again, quickly, is the primary goal with whoever comes in.

Look there is no point in kicking a man when he is down but it is hard to a post analysis without it looking somewhat like that. From the beginning I thought Crews was not the right guy for the job. His recruiting record was not there and it proved out that he could not recruit at the level needed. Was he a changed man from his Army days - I really did not know but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but when you read about how he got pissed at Jett and turned a walk through light practice for a tired team in the third round of the NCAA into a grueling experience just to prove a point to Jett then I am sorry I guess he did not change from his Army days - failure to understand and relate to today's players was killer for him. Coaching, I am sure he knows his X and Os better then most of us but know what to do on paper is one thing and being able to translate it in a viable game plan is something else. Did he hire good assistants - a failure of any management team is not having the right people in place and clearly Crews did not understand that importance. Overall, his tenure as the head coach - his players and his system was a terrible failure and I will not let him off the hook for that. He got paid good money and did nothing to earn it.

Look there is no point in kicking a man when he is down but it is hard to a post analysis without it looking somewhat like that. From the beginning I thought Crews was not the right guy for the job. His recruiting record was not there and it proved out that he could not recruit at the level needed. Was he a changed man from his Army days - I really did not know but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but when you read about how he got pissed at Jett and turned a walk through light practice for a tired team in the third round of the NCAA into a grueling experience just to prove a point to Jett then I am sorry I guess he did not change from his Army days - failure to understand and relate to today's players was killer for him. Coaching, I am sure he knows his X and Os better then most of us but know what to do on paper is one thing and being able to translate it in a viable game plan is something else. Did he hire good assistants - a failure of any management team is not having the right people in place and clearly Crews did not understand that importance. Overall, his tenure as the head coach - his players and his system was a terrible failure and I will not let him off the hook for that. He got paid good money and did nothing to earn it.

Very well said.

Not sure if there is a CBS Sports Radio affiliate in the St. Louis area anymore, but they have these things called the "Sports Minute." Basically it is a 1 minute spot where national blowhards like Jim Rome or Doug Gottleib spout off about something.

Today John Feinstein, pedophile defender extraordinaire, railed on SLU's handling of the Crews situation. He spouted off a bunch of false information, but a casual observer would think that Chris May slit Crews's throat in front of his children. Apparently firing a coach with 22 wins over 2 seasons is worse than not reporting boy rape in Feinstein's world. What a douchebag.