Don't sleep on 'unhateable' Billikens

The "Miracle in Memphis" is a complete misnomer to begin with. The CUSA had completely unbalanced schedules and divisions and SLU was a good team with one of the hardest schedules in the nation. Everyone talks about SLU being a 9 seed but they would have been at least a 6 with a balanced schedule. Being a 9 seed the had to beat a dominant No 1 in the country Cincy. Obviously that was a big upset aided by Martin's injury but even Huggins said after the game SLU deserved to win. SLU was obviously not favored, particularly when they had to go through Cincy but that was a very good team that was already on the fringe of getting an at large bid. I have argued that SLU would likely have gotten an at-large bid without beating DePaul (the timing and SLU's borderline RPI would have made it less than 100%)--this team is NOT anywhere close to getting an at-large and every game is a big upset at this point.

I know well a veteran Jesuit priest at Holy Cross, who played college hoops himself for Holy Cross in the early '50's, including against SLU, both at the Boston Garden (where the HC home game was played) and at Kiel Auditorium. He must be on Cloud 9 today.

He served on the SLU BOT during Fr. Biondi's time. He calls me Mr. Billiken. When I told him about a famous Coach Majerus anecdote and showed him the accompanying editorial cartoon from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which my Mom had sent me, he said, "_____, you thought you were hiring a basketball coach, you didn't know you were hiring a theologian." In addition, he has assured me he will have a seat for me at Holy Cross for the first SLU vs. Holy Cross Big East (yes Big East) game.

Holy Cross actually turned down an offer to join the original Big East.

Holy Cross is 14-19. Even in the Patriot League, Holy Cross winning that Tournament shows that anything is possible. As long as you are still playing, you are still playing.

Would have been amazing to see alums of each of those fine Jesuit schools - Bob Cousy and Ed Macaulley - play together as members of the Celtics around that time.

The "Miracle in Memphis" is a complete misnomer to begin with. The CUSA had completely unbalanced schedules and divisions and SLU was a good team with one of the hardest schedules in the nation. Everyone talks about SLU being a 9 seed but they would have been at least a 6 with a balanced schedule. Being a 9 seed the had to beat a dominant No 1 in the country Cincy. Obviously that was a big upset aided by Martin's injury but even Huggins said after the game SLU deserved to win. SLU was obviously not favored, particularly when they had to go through Cincy but that was a very good team that was already on the fringe of getting an at large bid. I have argued that SLU would likely have gotten an at-large bid without beating DePaul (the timing and SLU's borderline RPI would have made it less than 100%)--this team is NOT anywhere close to getting an at-large and every game is a big upset at this point.

Yes that was not really a "miracle." That was a pretty talented SLU team that entered the conference tourney with an rpi around 50.