GDT - Can Billikens Dodge the Rams

billikenbill

we won for two reasons: crawford played very well and fordham is really terrible. hard to believe a team has a roster worst than us, but fordham is really bad.

crawford is the fundamentally most sound player on the team. he works very hard to get open and to do as much as he can to rebound and defend. Too bad he will see only one post season tourney.

it was great to see the alumni players. a lot of good memories there. larry hughes and his wife were the best dressed couple in the house. larry has been a great supporter this year. at just about every game and i love he is there with his family. he's become a nice role model.

10 wins. i predicted 9. so in my eyes this team has overachieved. i actually had the billikens for only 3 conference wins. cant wait for the season to be over and hopefully move on to the next era.

FIFY

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills can beat Dayton and the coach is still gone. The only way I see Coach Crews keeping his job is winning 4 out of last 5 and winning 2 in the A10 tournament. A good thread maybe what would it take for coach Crews to keep his job? I would enjoy playing spoiler to Dayton, I remember when teams enjoyed doing that to our good teams so misery loves company and bring on the misery to the top teams.

Winning the conference tournament should be his only shot. He has constructed a roster that can't play the type of game he wanted. Now that he has found a way that gives them a chance to compete in games, he has too many useless big men on the bench who don't fit this style. He would have to run off Gillmann and Jolly and bring in two jucos next year who could play his new found style just to try to hit .500. Given his lack of recruiting success I have no hope of him ever getting us to the tournament.

Not a pleasant topic, but I'm thinking Jolly and one of Roby and Bartley could transfer. With Gillmann being a native I don't see him wanting to leave. So there's two schollies freed up to see if we can get some better bigs.

I'm liking next year's roster then with the good guard play we've been getting from AH, JB, and occasionally from MR, Crawford's steady hand, and the progress that MY, RA, and Neufeld can make in the off season. Each seems to be gradually improving as the season progresses. Throw in Welmer as a wild card who could contribute and we'll be stronger in the paint to go with improving perimeter play.

With three more wins, I can see Crews being retained based on end of season progress and the returning roster. Do I think he's the right man for the job? No, but I can see a decision made where he's retained by this athletic department.

I'm liking next year's roster then with the good guard play we've been getting from AH, JB, and occasionally from MR, Crawford's steady hand, and the progress that MY, RA, and Neufeld can make in the off season. Each seems to be gradually improving as the season progresses. Throw in Welmer as a wild card who could contribute and we'll be stronger in the paint to go with improving perimeter play.

With three more wins, I can see Crews being retained based on end of season progress and the returning roster. Do I think he's the right man for the job? No, but I can see a decision made where he's retained by this athletic department.

Are you related to Jim Crews? I imagine the decision has already been made and struggling to beat bottom feeders in the conference won't change anything.

Not a pleasant topic, but I'm thinking Jolly and one of Roby and Bartley could transfer. With Gillmann being a native I don't see him wanting to leave. So there's two schollies freed up to see if we can get some better bigs.

steve-lavin-ncaa-basketball-xavier-st.-j

They clearly counted all 4,000 of the Catholic-school tickets that were "sold." Also, student attendance tonight was again embarrassing (for the students). A good 2/3 of the student section was grade-school or high-school aged kids (and some of their parents).

Eyeball test: about 5,000 in the house (about 50% full)

I'd be in with Lavin at the helm. Not much of a coach but the interviews with Earl would be fun. Lavin's always good for the goofy, jargon-laden quote explaining why his team lost again.

David King, Crews is old news....Lavin plus a Conklin summer for Jolly = at LEAST a three game improvement next year!

Blasphemous to mention Conklin summer and Jolly in the same sentence. Jolly needs a transfer summer and leave the Conklin summers to Reggie and Elliott "The Beast" Welmer.

Didn't catch the game, but read a lot of good things about Bishop. Is he the consensus PG going forward? I know Hines lead the team with 33 minutes and 8 assists and may be a truer PG, but I can't see Bishop at the 2. Bishop has shown ability to get to the rim and that jumper is silky smoith, so I think we'll have something in him.

Not sold on Hines. Think Zeke will take care of our 2 guard spot long term with Bishop at the point, Crawford as a swing 3, a more developed Milik at the 4 and Reggie at the 5.

Milik has the more natural talent than anyone else on the roster. Let's give him a real coach before we run him out of town.

He's yet to score in double figures in an A-10 game this year after doing so 10 times in conference as a freshman.

Yarbrough has talent but where he "plays" seems to rest more on him than on the coaching staff. You can tell a kid all you want to get down on the low blocks but if he doesn't get the ball because our guards can't make entry passes or if he goes further out on the wing to get the ball by choice, it is the kid's inner instinct returning him to either what he knows or what he wants. We saw it all last year and this ... Yarbrough grabs a defensive rebound and whether he's off to the races or not, he is bringing the ball up the court, not anyone else. That has led to many mind-numbing Milik-on-four where a turnover seems to happen more times than not.

I think he sees himself as a two .... not a four. And he'd be a huge mismatch if he were a two. Plus I think he gets frustrated because no one can find him on the low blocks. So he often free lances and then finds his seat down next to Platt.

Just my opinion.

Didn't catch the game, but read a lot of good things about Bishop. Is he the consensus PG going forward? I know Hines lead the team with 33 minutes and 8 assists and may be a truer PG, but I can't see Bishop at the 2. Bishop has shown ability to get to the rim and that jumper is silky smoith, so I think we'll have something in him.

Not sold on Hines. Think Zeke will take care of our 2 guard spot long term with Bishop at the point, Crawford as a swing 3, a more developed Milik at the 4 and Reggie at the 5.

-you think MC will be back next season? he is scheduled to graduate in May and could do the grad student transfer

That's a shame. Good potential, doesn't understand how to use it.

How can he understand anything with the Jims coaching practice?

If he is smart he will leave if Crews/Platt are back and do whatever he can to develop some skills.

If Crews is gone he should stay and learn how to actually play ball.

Fire Jim Crews!!!