Nuggets from Stu's most recent article

johnbj14

I really hope the little birdies saying there will be a coaching change are right. I really can't fathom the idea that anyone, especially someone who works in the field of college athletics, could reach the conclusion that Crews should get another year. If there are financial concerns, I'm not demanding a "splashy" hire that commands a high salary. Just give me someone who will breathe some positive energy into this program and give us some hope that things will improve.

I will give Crews a little credit. At least we're not on NCAA probation, and I understand the team is doing well academically. At least the embarrassment is confined to the on-court product. Still, if Crews is still the coach come May 1, I think we can all conclude that any statement by someone at SLU on the importance of a successful men's basketball program is complete bunk.

I get the idea of waiting for the season to end to make an announcement, but it's frustrating because every day we go without actual knowledge of an impending change means that it still is possible that there won't be a change, and I just want to know that SLU isn't going to subject the fans to another season of this awful product. The best case scenario for me would be for Crews to announce that he's retiring (or "retiring") before the season ends. It would quell the fears that no change will be made, and it would allow the fans to recognize Crews for his role in the 3 NCAA teams.

Why would Crews retire? Unless that is just what gets communicated publicly or he is offered his buyout to announce his retirement, there is no reason for him to retire. He would have to be the dumbest person in the world to retire and give up over $500k to not do a job. If you want me gone, at least have the sack to fire me and eat the buyout in my contract; after all it is a contract SLU signed.

The idea that Crews will be around next season is astounding to me. There is no chance that anyone in power would believe keeping him around for two more seasons is a better financial decision than just eating his buyout a month or so from now. No reason to see how much further Jim Crews and this staff can set this program back. Beyond that, you have to believe the big donors have already made their opinions known. I mean, is there even anyone on this message board or a season ticket holder who still believes Crews should be given another season? It really should not be a discussion beyond who delivers the news to Jim.

Man this is painful...

Let him "retire" gracefully. Jesus...

Man this is painful...

Agreed. People want immediate resolution. However, let the season finish and make the move with whatever type of announcement is made.

It's better to let the crap season run out and have things happen immediately afterwards. Let the former "coach if the year" finish off the season, It will show some decency towards him, and potential candidates that you are looking to hire your next coach

Man this is painful...

My point is that Crews would be a massive idiot to retire unless there is a side deal where that is merely the optics presented to the public. Who willingly leaves over half a million dollars on the table? If that is how the University wants it to play out and still pays him that buy out, then fine, but to do so willingly is just flat out idiotic on his part. SLU at least needs to be willing to pay for their mistake.

Agreed. People want immediate resolution. However, let the season finish and make the move with whatever type of announcement is made.

It's better to let the crap season run out and have things happen immediately afterwards. Let the former "coach if the year" finish off the season, It will show some decency towards him, and potential candidates that you are looking to hire your next coach

My commentary is specifically with regards to Crews retiring which would be a beyond stupid decision on his part which is just common sense (I doubt his wife and family would be thrilled to know he retired instead of receiving $500k+).

I doubt many truly advocate firing him before the end of the season. At this point there are only a few weeks left regardless, so who really cares.

Do we even know if $850k/year is his base salary? Or is that annual comp with bonuses/appearance fees/incentives baked in?

No chance $850k is his base salary. Kim Anderson's base salary at Mizzou is $300k with a guaranteed salary of $1.1 million. Frank Haith before him had a base salary of $450k with a guaranteed $1.6 million. John Groce's base salary at Illinois is $400k with a total salary of $1.7 million.