EXPOSED

willie

I have been waffling back in forth as to whether we had some talent that was poorly coached or no talent at all . After watching a good Dayton team destroy us it's the latter. Broy is right , this is the worst overall talent in 20 years. We are just so physically overmatched. Ash and maybe Crawford are the only players we have who could play a roll for a decent team. Bishop may become a good player but he's not ready for the Dayton's of the world.

I think it is both. Minimal talent and poor coaching. Throw in another bad recruiting year and it's a recipe for long term cellar dwelling.

If we (hypothetically) played Harris Stowe ten times in a season, how many games would they win? I'll start the bidding at 7.

I feel bad for the players, not their fault they've been put in this position. That being said next season as it stands right now we only lose Ash and replace him with a freshman. I just don't see where we go from here. I really don't.

The poet laureate of Cabo San Lucas, Sammy Hagar, once said "you've got to walk through the darkness before you stand in the light."

Who knows, maybe this dismantling and public emasculation will help them in the long run. They will have axes to grind and chips on their collective shoulders. The problem is, we don't have a coach who will channel their frustration in a way where they will come out next year and want to just beat the out of people. It's like Crews is a sadist and wants people to be publicly humiliated. This is the ultimate in frustration. Are we even recruiting JUCO players? Could they be a short-term fix to a long-term question mark?

I have been waffling back in forth as to whether we had some talent that was poorly coached or no talent at all . After watching a good Dayton team destroy us it's the latter. Broy is right , this is the worst overall talent in 20 years. We are just so physically overmatched. Ash and maybe Crawford are the only players we have who could play a roll for a decent team. Bishop may become a good player but he's not ready for the Dayton's of the world.

Agreed. I'd been hoping against hope that we'd at least kinda-sorta turned a corner ... but no. Sigh.

I cannot disagree with any of the negative comments about the players and the coach. I think it is the recruiting is the biggest problem. A good example is Matt Neufeld, Matt's stats are worse than Austin Gillman's freshman year so what are Matt's chances at developing into a good player? The sophomore class that has not produced a reliable starter. I believe coach Crews can coach but if you do not have the players then it will not work. I do feel horrible for the players it has to hurt. I am still holding on that they can turn it around this Saturday and I would consider that a small step forward based only on this season. I think the team did take two steps forward and one step back and now it is time to beat what should be a lesser team at home. If they lose Saturday at home any chance at any momentum heading into February will be lost. I have my comedy movies ready to play after the next horrible loss.

I cannot disagree with any of the negative comments about the players and the coach. I think it is the recruiting is the biggest problem. A good example is Matt Neufeld, Matt's stats are worse than Austin Gillman's freshman year so what are Matt's chances at developing into a good player? The sophomore class that has not produced a reliable starter. I believe coach Crews can coach but if you do not have the players then it will not work. I do feel horrible for the players it has to hurt. I am still holding on that they can turn it around this Saturday and I would consider that a small step forward based only on this season. I think the team did take two steps forward and one step back and now it is time to beat what should be a lesser team at home. If they lose Saturday at home any chance at any momentum heading into February will be lost. I have my comedy movies ready to play after the next horrible loss.

-I don't

Wonder how the coaches will respond. Do we scrap the offense? Do we mix up the lineups more? Do we stick with what worked fine for a couple games. Going off Pistol's defensive numbers in another thread, Duquesne is probably a game to stick with the run and gun, guard heavy offense

Wonder how the coaches will respond. Do we scrap the offense? Do we mix up the lineups more? Do we stick with what worked fine for a couple games. Going off Pistol's defensive numbers in another thread, Duquesne is probably a game to stick with the run and gun, guard heavy offense

I think sticking with the guards and Reggie would be best. It is a bad situation with the bigs on this team so I do not see any other options. The guard position is the deepest position and I am interested in watching Bishop, Ash, Crawford, Hines, and Agbeko on the court because they display some energy. I thought they showed a lot of heart in the first half of Dayton but they could not run the offense at all playing against the best team defense in the A10. It will be interesting when Milik can play again how he fits in.

I think sticking with the guards and Reggie would be best. It is a bad situation with the bigs on this team so I do not see any other options. The guard position is the deepest position and I am interested in watching Bishop, Ash, Crawford, Hines, and Agbeko on the court because they display some energy.

Unless Milik is cleared to play, there are not many options to playing with 4 guards. The only other option would be to play Reggie with either Jolly or Neufeld at the same time. I don't see that happening, as all three need to play in the paint.

Unless Milik is cleared to play, there are not many options to playing with 4 guards. The only other option would be to play Reggie with either Jolly or Neufeld at the same time. I don't see that happening, as all three need to play in the paint.

Matt Neufeld just is not ready so I am hoping for Milik to return soon and see if he has a wake up call and plays better near the basket. I love to see Milik work like Reggie to get open around the basket.

Matt Neufeld just is not ready so I am hoping for Milik to return soon and see if he has a wake up call and plays better near the basket. I love to see Milik work like Reggie to get open around the basket.

Completely agree.

We need MY inside battling, like DE did. RA has been a warrior, you have to like his attitude.

Willie.

I totally agree with you. I too go back and forth on the issue of no talent (or should I say inferior talent to the competition) v. bad coaching. To me, and maybe this is why I have made the statements I have made, it is the coach's job to teach and demand fundamentals, in general, and to ensure that the guys execute whatever offensive/defensive schemes he wants to run. It is also upon the coach not only to play the right players the proper amount of minutes but also to have them play with the right teammates to complement each other as much as possible, during the minutes they are, in fact, played and also to play the right combinations for matchup purposes against the competition. Some games point to no talent and others to bad coaching.

But if we look at players whom we can all agree were talented players and the type of players we now need on this team, I would suggest the following. Erwin Claggett regularly set screens for others and used screens to create open shots for himself; however, he did not always need screens in that he could create his own shot off the dribble. In contrast, his teammate Scott Highmark needed screens to be set for him. As good as Scott was, he did not score that much off his dribble and he did not create many shots on his own except for stepping back further and further. Both great players but both very different. And no, I would not say that Claggett was better because he could create his own shot. At the same time, Scott would not be a legendary SLU player for us if his teammates set the screens our players now set if he had to rely upon Crews to implement a game plan that worked for him. Everyone on the opposing team (players, bench, coaches) and in the building would know that we would be running a play to get Scott the ball to shoot a three. Many times, and in this situation, Scott would fight past 2 defenders (often faster, taller, more athletic) and receive a screen (sometimes a double screen) to get open just enough to shoot and score. We all remember Scott getting open enough not only to get his shot off but also to make the shot; however, it was not the raw talent of his teammates to properly set these screens or of Scott to use these screens -- instead his talent was his quick release and deadly shot. The good coaching put Scott in a position to succeed -- and she sure did. It was good coaching to make sure attention to details were followed as well as the guys who respected their coach and were fully committed to their coach and their teammates. How would Crawford and Bartley (an underrated and streaky shooter) do with Spoon's teaching and players setting those picks? I think very well. How would Highmark do with Crews teaching and our current players setting their picks? I suggest not so good. Would Scott still be a good player? Yes, but not a great one.

I could go on with other examples of top former players but suggest that the proper setting and use of screens, hard work, effort and proper technique to block our man to rebound and defensive effort and dedication to defensive footwork skills does not require NBA or even 4 star to higher talent but does make a huge difference. Instead, it requires a head coach commanding respect and full effort from his players - whomever they are. Of course, the more talented they are, the better/quicker they can execute, rebound and defend but our team is failing at the basics and not getting beat only by teams with top shelf talent. Our talent is not being used to its potential, are mostly stagnating and in some cases getting worse over time. Inconsistent but really good performances are the sign of immature talent. As talent is developed and matured, more consistent good performances become the norm. We have a long way to go and I am not sure we are even going in the right direction.

Willie.

I totally agree with you. I too go back and forth on the issue of no talent (or should I say inferior talent to the competition) v. bad coaching. To me, and maybe this is why I have made the statements I have made, it is the coach's job to teach and demand fundamentals, in general, and to ensure that the guys execute whatever offensive/defensive schemes he wants to run. It is also upon the coach not only to play the right players the proper amount of minutes but also to have them play with the right teammates to complement each other as much as possible, during the minutes they are, in fact, played and also to play the right combinations for matchup purposes against the competition. Some games point to no talent and others to bad coaching.

But if we look at players whom we can all agree were talented players and the type of players we now need on this team, I would suggest the following. Erwin Claggett regularly set screens for others and used screens to create open shots for himself; however, he did not always need screens in that he could create his own shot off the dribble. In contrast, his teammate Scott Highmark needed screens to be set for him. As good as Scott was, he did not score that much off his dribble and he did not create many shots on his own except for stepping back further and further. Both great players but both very different. And no, I would not say that Claggett was better because he could create his own shot. At the same time, Scott would not be a legendary SLU player for us if his teammates set the screens our players now set if he had to rely upon Crews to implement a game plan that worked for him. Everyone on the opposing team (players, bench, coaches) and in the building would know that we would be running a play to get Scott the ball to shoot a three. Many times, and in this situation, Scott would fight past 2 defenders (often faster, taller, more athletic) and receive a screen (sometimes a double screen) to get open just enough to shoot and score. We all remember Scott getting open enough not only to get his shot off but also to make the shot; however, it was not the raw talent of his teammates to properly set these screens or of Scott to use these screens -- instead his talent was his quick release and deadly shot. The good coaching put Scott in a position to succeed -- and she sure did. It was good coaching to make sure attention to details were followed as well as the guys who respected their coach and were fully committed to their coach and their teammates. How would Crawford and Bartley (an underrated and streaky shooter) do with Spoon's teaching and players setting those picks? I think very well. How would Highmark do with Crews teaching and our current players setting their picks? I suggest not so good. Would Scott still be a good player? Yes, but not a great one.

I could go on with other examples of top former players but suggest that the proper setting and use of screens, hard work, effort and proper technique to block our man to rebound and defensive effort and dedication to defensive footwork skills does not require NBA or even 4 star to higher talent but does make a huge difference. Instead, it requires a head coach commanding respect and full effort from his players - whomever they are. Of course, the more talented they are, the better/quicker they can execute, rebound and defend but our team is failing at the basics and not getting beat only by teams with top shelf talent. Our talent is not being used to its potential, are mostly stagnating and in some cases getting worse over time. Inconsistent but really good performances are the sign of immature talent. As talent is developed and matured, more consistent good performances become the norm. We have a long way to go and I am not sure we are even going in the right direction.

+1000000000

You nailed it this time. This is a real insight on why we are where we are. There are some really good talents at SLU but under Crews none of these kids will ever reach their full potential. I wonder what these kids would be like today if RM was still here. One could argue that some would not be here but I think each one of these young men has alot more to offer us than they show on the court today. Development is sorely a problem on this team.

Just what is Crews' contract status, after this season? If it has more years to run, is a buyout a possibility, or is it outside the stratosphere? A change is mandatory, after this season, because he really doesn't care for recruiting, and his ability to relate to the players is invisible.

Thanks in advance for your input.