The New Offense

brianstl

Maybe you don't remember that Bishop broke his nose in practice and wasn't doing much for a couple of games. I believe he was in street clothes on the bench. At the start of the year Bishop couldn't guard a chair. If he had played serious minutes, this board would have wanted to ride him out of town. It takes time for freshmen to adjust to the college game. His development, through this staff's coaching, has been very nice.

I agree for the most part. I think the bigger question/complaint would be why it took so long to go to this offense.

First, mission accomplished by trollbrian, started this thread with the sole intent of trashing Crews, 4 of the first 8 posts were his; he is thinking of another thread to start as an excuse to lambaste Crews, as he has been doing for years. Pathetic.

Second, Bishop is a freshman, he probably took awhile to acclimate, he was hurt for awhile early in the season, Crews and staff went with our 3* and 2* returning young guards who they had hoped would improve (MR did). People who say the staff should have known by watching practice that Bishop would be this good do not understand sports at all. Who TF would know Bishop would hit the shots in a real game, make incredible quick decisions in a game, take it to the hoop, hit the open man, all of that? There are 1000's of examples of this... a recent example in St. Louis is Stephen Piscotty, why didn't he get in long ago, he is not just a solid hitter but a plus outfielder, a 4-5 tool baseball player?

Lastly, the usual suspect trolls are a little quiet the last few days, disappointed that the Billikens won a few, deep in their hearts they want us to lose to support their agenda. I want them to win every game, that is the difference in us.

Tonight will be difficult, with one of our best players hurting (Crawford) and without a key BIG (MY) to at least do some damage inside, get some boards, this is a bad matchup for us; Reggie gets a few fouls and we are in deep trouble.

First, mission accomplished by trollbrian, started this thread with the sole intent of trashing Crews, 4 of the first 8 posts were his; he is thinking of another thread to start as an excuse to lambaste Crews, as he has been doing for years. Pathetic.

Second, Bishop is a freshman, he probably took awhile to acclimate, he was hurt for awhile early in the season, Crews and staff went with our 3* and 2* returning young guards who they had hoped would improve (MR did). People who say the staff should have known by watching practice that Bishop would be this good do not understand sports at all. Who TF would know Bishop would hit the shots in a real game, make incredible quick decisions in a game, take it to the hoop, hit the open man, all of that? There are 1000's of examples of this... a recent example in St. Louis is Stephen Piscotty, why didn't he get in long ago, he is not just a solid hitter but a plus outfielder, a 4-5 tool baseball player?

Lastly, the usual suspect trolls are a little quiet the last few days, disappointed that the Billikens won a few, deep in their hearts they want us to lose to support their agenda. I want them to win every game, that is the difference in us.

Tonight will be difficult, with one of our best players hurting (Crawford) and without a key BIG (MY) to at least do some damage inside, get some boards, this is a bad matchup for us; Reggie gets a few fouls and we are in deep trouble.

Tonight will be difficult yes, but not because Crawford or Yarbrough are hurt. Tonight will be difficult because SLU is going to take an ass whooping from a top 26 team on their home court after several years of Rick Majerus handing them a whooping on their home court. The talent level disparity will be staggering on the floor and on the coaching staff.

I knew he would do those things.

I love that the guy who basically disappeared from the board for a month before a two game winning streak chastises others for going quiet.

Don't you love how he needs to set up enemies - real or imagined - in every post? He sets them up every time like: "The usual trolls" with "their agenda" and so forth. No straw man is too slight for him to grasp at.

He also doesn't understand that we also want to win every game. But we're going to win a lot more games in the long term if our current staff gets fired, and if a new staff can come in and boost our talent level. FACTS.

It's always funny when MB tries to talk baseball. Everybody who knew anything about Stephen Piscotty knew he was a consistent OBP machine in the minors with a good arm, but also slow-footed and lacking a true position to play on the field. In a tiny sample of major league experience last year, he once again looked like an OBP machine while showing flashes of improved power but playing poor defense at several different positions.

The idea that this somehow adds up to a "four or five tool" superstar is either an outright troll or just plain not knowing what you're talking about. Comparing a pro baseball player with an extensive statistical profile to an A-10 freshman who's played all of 180 minutes leads me to believe it falls into both categories.

What a bunch of drivel. Keep on trolling, MB73.

I think there has been one poster that I have read that wanted SLU to lose every game so that the coaching staff would get fired. I say to that who cares it is just their opinion and they should voice their opinion without being called names for doing so. This is a great site that I have enjoyed for years and I do not agree with everyone but no matter what is said I value their opinion. I have read your posts on this site and you are passionate about the team and want respect shown to the players coach and program and that is great. However the people you call trolls are passionate about the team also and express their feelings different and we all should be okay with that. I want SLU to win everyone of their remaining games win the conference tournament and get to the big dance. I hold that feeling all the way to the last game of the season including last year. I have been critical of the teams play this year especially at home that motivated me enough to e-mail Chris May. I am excited for tonight's game with Dayton especially since the team is playing better and I think the offense will do well again. Some have posted that SLU will get blown out maybe but I don't care and I appreciate their post.

Stephen Piscotty knew he was a consistent OBP machine in the minors with a good arm, but also slow-footed and lacking a true position to play on the field. In a tiny sample of major league experience last year, he once again looked like an OBP machine while showing flashes of improved power but playing poor defense at several different positions.

Wrong, as usual.

Baseball people will tell you that Piscotty is a plus defensive outfielder, maybe our best now that Heyward is gone.

He has outstanding instincts... moves immediately to the ball off the bat, good lateral and backwards movement but also has the rare ability to quickly go in for a ball in front of him, he has good speed (but not top end) / so good range, very good arm, and excellent glove skills.

5 Tools:

Arm: B

Range/glove skills/defense: B+

Speed on bases: B-

Batting average/on base: B-B+*

Power: B-*

* too small a sample, TBD

Every category Piscotty is a plus, above average... "C" being the average corner outfielder. Roberto Clemente = all A's and A+'s!

If you're talking to baseball people that are using letter grades - you aren't talking to baseball people.

Only simpletons would use letter grades. True baseball fans know that things are graded on a scale of 20-80, with 70 being the plus-plus rating.

I won't go into too much detail now that the sun has gone down.

5 tool players are players who have potential with every tool to be plus plus. For as nice of a season Piscotty had, in my eyes he is not a 5 tool player. It is a term that gets tossed around way too often in baseball, but few players are deserving of the term. In today's game, the two closest players to 5 tools are Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. However, even those two have aspects of their game that aren't perfect.

In short, 5 tool players are not grown on trees. I won't go so far as to say they are once in a generation type players, but they are a rare breed in the increasingly specialized modern game of baseball. Piscotty had a nice season, but his average was inflated by an unsustainable .372 BABIP and his defense graded out negative at every position by UZR for a net -7.2 rating. His projected stats (while just a projection) for the upcoming season .267/.327/.407 with 12 HR and 58 rbi according to fangraphs. His scouting numbers all range between 45 and 60 for different categories. Not bad, but not 5 tools.

It is an old habit of mine, I use A+ down to F- ratings to communicate sports, business, whatever, everyone identifies with it.

Some of the new defensive metrics are not entirely credible, simple example is Molina's defensive WARs have been +1.5, 2 when we know he contributes more than that.

Baseball people in town that I talk to occasionally including one well known insider are high on Piscotty in all 5 tool categories as an outfielder, and is a plus defender, but no, not saying he is definitely 5 tool, yet. For what it is worth, last year after spring training this guy was very high on Grichuk and Gonzales, pointing to breakthrough years.

It is an old habit of mine, I use A+ down to F- ratings to communicate sports, business, whatever, everyone identifies with it.

Some of the new defensive metrics are not entirely credible, simple example is Molina's defensive WARs have been +1.5, 2 when we know he contributes more than that.

Baseball people in town that I talk to occasionally including one well known insider are high on Piscotty in all 5 tool categories as an outfielder, and is a plus defender, but no, not saying he is definitely 5 tool, yet. For what it is worth, last year after spring training this guy was very high on Grichuk and Gonzales, pointing to breakthrough years.

I'm not saying the baseball people you speak to are wrong. I do like his game, but statistically he is a below average fielder who has a plus arm. This upcoming season will be interesting for his development, as his numbers last year were inflated due to his ridiculous BABIP. I expect him to be around a .270 hitter this season with a regression to his typical BABIP numbers. As for defensive metrics, 1.5-2 WAR on defense is a good measure for Molina. First off, that number is very high for defensive contributions. It is accurate in his case. Second, if you consider that to be low, take into account how many games Yadier has missed over the past few seasons. I don't agree with the statement defensive metrics are not that accurate with players because Molina's are spot on.