WTG Women's Team

SluSignGuy

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was my 7th or 8th of the season. I'd never been to more than one or two, usually when there was a men's/women's doubleheader. They are a joy to watch. Teamwork, ball movement with a purpose, and defense and rebounding. Been far more fun than sitting through another dreary men's season.

I thought their game was a little off today, but once they got a 10 point lead, they pretty much barred the door.

Co-champions of the A10. 2 seed in the A10 tourney. Don't know the RPI math but being a 2 seed might help their RPI more than being the #1. Hope they just win the whole thing

Nope. Conference order is irrelevant for NCAA selection. They have a very strong record and a have been very good down the stretch but as I predicted their RPI did not budge recently. They lost one place by winning yesterday. Their RPI is 55. A 2 seed hurts them RPI wise a little bit in that their first game is likely against a weaker team (the 7 v 10 winner rather than the 6 v 11/14). They will likely get an RPI boost if they win the semi-final--that win will get them on the board so they will have some at-large chance (no guarantees at all except they locked up the NIT 2 weeks ago).

OT: I went to Yale-Dartmouth women's game yesterday and saw a rare 7 point play (which got Dartmouth back in game when they were down 16). Dartmouth was down 18 points at start of 4th quarter and had a shot at the buzzer to tie but missed.

I'll be a party pooper. With an RPI of 55, they have no shot at getting an at large bid. If you think the power conference bias is bad on the men's side, it's much worse on the women's side. A Western Kentucky women's team was once left out with an RPI of 19.

Women's bracketology: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

The next year or two could be a different story as the core of the team is sophomores and juniors. They need a much tougher non-con schedule though.

The next year or two could be a different story as the core of the team is sophomores and juniors. They need a much tougher non-con schedule though.

That is good to know, sounds like this season is kind of the beginning of what should be a quality run for the women's program.

I'll be a party pooper. With an RPI of 55, they have no shot at getting an at large bid. If you think the power conference bias is bad on the men's side, it's much worse on the women's side. A Western Kentucky women's team was once left out with an RPI of 19.

Women's bracketology: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

SLU does not have a good shot at getting into the NCAA as an at large but it is much greater than "no shot". Even if they go to semi's after beating St. Joe's and Duquesne they will be strongly considered but more than likely out (I would say it would be 30%-40% type chance and less if there are conference tourney upsets). But they have an ok resume so they may get in. SOS is weak but 4 of their 6 losses are against top 100 (losing at home to George Mason was low point but it will not formally hurt them). They have a good record, are 8-2 down the stretch, and are 1-0 against the top 25 RPI now (but if they beat Duquesne again they may fall out of top 25).

ESPN's women's bracketology is likely more biased to big conferences than the NCAA is. Yes, just like on the Men's side there are biases against one-bid conferences but like the men there will be a small bias FOR the A-10 in selection (SLU will be picked ahead of Albany, UC-Riverside, and Chatanooga when push comes to shove).

I did some research on the WNIT seeding (I was curious as to whether SLU could be seeded 1 or 2 in the WNIT). Well, they do not formally use number seeds. Basically they try to match up the best 16 teams with the worst 16 teams (mostly automatic bids) in the first round and "balance" the subsequent rounds. So they seem to use an informal seed for the top 16 teams and implied pod system for at least 2 rounds; they use a lot of other factors as well to keep it fuzzy and unnumbered (geography is a stronger factor than seed it seems). I think SLU should get a top tier invitation using RPI (so their first and second rounds will not have any other top tier teams) but looks like other ranking systems are used.

Selection criteria is RPI as well as Sagarin, Massey, Moore and one other unspecified ranking. Formally they average 4 rankings to evaluate the teams (RPI counts as two rankings and 4 other computer rankings with the highest and lowest ranking thrown out) SLU does not look good in the Sagarin (79th) or Moore (80th) so it is possible they will go into the unseeded "middle tier" and play a seeded team in the second round. They are 68th in Massey so if the last ranking used is like Sagarin/Moore they would not likely be in. My guess is they use one of the LRMC flavors (they are in the 70's for two of those rankings but are 41st for the "no margin" version). So, they have a chance being in the top tier if another rating system is used without margin of victory but likely in the middle tier if not (average would be 63 with "NO more MOV" and 69 with "Another MOV" as the 4th ranking).

They should get a first round home game if they want it regardless.

-i was surprised to see SIUE at 148 in rpi - GMason is 187, i guess the loss at home to GMason is quite the blemish

The committee gets a break out of each teams record 1-25, 26-50, 51-100, 100-200, and 200+. The George Mason loss just makes the 100-200 column 7-2 instead of 8-1 so it will not be a big factor. They have no 200+ losses (9-0) and any losses there would raise more of red flag. Right now the 0-2 in the 26-50 column is a bigger issue. They will get a chance to add a win here in the conference tourney semi and/or final.

The committee gets a break out of each teams record 1-25, 26-50, 51-100, 100-200, and 200+. The George Mason loss just makes the 100-200 column 7-2 instead of 8-1 so it will not be a big factor. They have no 200+ losses (9-0) and any losses there would raise more of red flag. Right now the 0-2 in the 26-50 column is a bigger issue. They will get a chance to add a win here in the conference tourney semi and/or final.

Of course, a win in the final makes it moot (except for NCAA Tournament seeding discussion).

-good read, keep the coach

By Matt Segal | SLUBillikens.com

The interview took place in the spring of 2012, as part of Saint Louis University’s search for its next women’s basketball coach. Lisa Stone stepped onto campus already plenty accomplished, having been to 18 postseason events in her 26 years as a collegiate head coach.

It was the sort of success unfamiliar to Billiken women's basketball, which had one postseason appearance in 37 seasons. Not surprisingly, however -- given her career-long record of producing winners -- Stone came to town with a vision of developing Saint Louis into a championship-caliber program.

“I remember my husband doing the virtual tour (of Saint Louis University),” Stone said. “He said if I went down there I would love it, and I did. I kept telling myself, ‘This campus is absolutely beautiful.’ I left the interview feeling like I could sell the school, city, facility and conference.”

Stone had previously been in charge of four different collegiate programs. She guided Division III member Wisconsin-Eau Claire to the national tournament 11 times in 12 seasons and finished her tenure at the University of Wisconsin by leading the Badgers to postseason play in five consecutive seasons.

All signs pointed to that first season at Saint Louis being tough, but Stone was up for the challenge of elevating the program’s profile.

“The program hadn’t enjoyed much success, but I was at a point in life where I wanted to do something that had never been done,” she said. “I wanted Saint Louis to enjoy success. That became part of our recruiting ploy. Come here and help us hang a banner. Help us change the culture and win.”

Less than four years later, the Billikens are enjoying unprecedented success in women’s basketball.

One season after going 15-16, Saint Louis is 23-6 and co-champion of the Atlantic 10 Conference, the first title of any kind in the program’s 41-year history. The Billikens’ total wins, Atlantic 10 Conference victories (13) and road wins (10) are all school records.

“The biggest thing I’ve noticed is the unity of our team,” said Olivia Jakubicek, a 5-foot-10 junior forward from Cary, Ill. “Everyone has totally bought in to what we are doing this season, and that is allowing us to achieve better results. Everyone has the same goal, vision and expectations for this program.”

The rise has been rapid, too. Saint Louis has improved by 16 total victories and 12 conference wins in a six-year span. Two seasons before Stone arrived, the Billikens won just one league game.

“I feel like our team believes we can actually beat each opponent,” said Denisha Womack, a 6-foot-1 senior forward from Peoria, Ill. “In prior years, we just played the game and hoped we would win. There has been a big attitude change since my freshman year, and it’s helping us have a lot more success.”

Jakubicek believes the team’s success is due to each player focusing on her individual role.

“Everyone is in this together, whether they start and play all the time or play limited minutes,” she said. “We have won games this season because each person is focused on performing her role to the best of her ability. We recognize our team is doing something special, and it’s a privilege to be part of this.”

Womack is convinced the focus has shifted to being all about winning.

“It’s no longer about individual statistics or accolades -- and I like that,” she said. “It’s about our team’s success. No one around here is happy if they score 20 points but we lose the game. People have been very unselfish this year. Everyone has been legitimately happy when their teammates have success.”

The program’s transformation, in many ways, started when Stone stripped things down and placed an emphasis on the process.

“We are only as good as our next 40 minutes,” she said. “I always say, ‘Let’s win the day’ or ‘Let’s go 1-0 today.’ I like the approach and consistency we’ve had throughout the season. Even when we haven’t played well, there’s a belief we are going to win. Not too many teams have that type of confidence. There will be time to celebrate after the season is over, but our young ladies feel like they have more to accomplish.”

Stone, who is 565-296 (.656) in 30 seasons as a collegiate head coach, cites several examples of how chemistry and team-bonding activities off the floor have led to more success on it.

“Our players hang out together, genuinely care about each other and love each other,” she said. “They want to be around each other. Nothing about it is forced. Our players are happy for each other’s success. All of that makes a tremendous difference. Our culture has become very team-oriented and family-like.”

Once towards the bottom of the A-10 in home attendance, Saint Louis climbed to second among league schools in 2015-16 with an average of 1,921. The Billikens set a school record with 9,985 fans at their “Pink Out” game on Jan. 16.

“When I got here, it was a miracle if 30 people were in the stands,” Stone said. “The growth and visibility have gotten so much better. I can’t say enough about the community support. Our fans have been very involved this season.”

Jakubicek echoed Stone’s thoughts.

“Playing in front of so many big crowds has been a great opportunity for all of us,” she said. “The coolest part is getting that extra energy burst and feeling like you are playing for the city. The fan support has really helped carry us.”

Stone credits Director of Athletics Chris May and his staff for sharing her vision.

“Chris cares about women’s basketball and our program,” she said. “I knew that on my interview. Getting this program to where it is has been a total team effort. I’m very thankful and blessed to be here.”

Stone’s program is built for sustained success, too, as 13 players on SLU’s roster are eligible to return next season. Those players have accounted for more than 70 percent of the team’s points, rebounds and assists this year.

Sophomore guard Jackie Kemph leads Saint Louis with 16.4 points and 7.1 assists per game, while junior center Sadie Stipanovich is one of SLU’s top rebounders with 5.9 per contest.

“Our improvement has a lot to do with the players,” Stone said. “You’re only as good as the people you have on the court. Our recruiting has also taken some significant steps forward. We continue to recruit nationally, but it’s been nice to see the attitude change in our area. Five years ago, local kids didn’t even think about coming to Saint Louis. Now, they see us having success and want to be part of it.”

Womack is hoping her senior campaign ends with the program’s first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. It’s a place that seemed so distant early in her SLU career.

“Being a senior is bittersweet,” she said. “Do I wish I could continue to help my teammates build on this success? Yes. But I will also be able to look back 10 or 15 years down the road and say I was one of the people who turned this program around. Not everyone is able to make a claim like that.”

Saint Louis carries a mid-50s RPI into this week’s conference tournament in Richmond, Va. The second-seeded Billikens will play the winner of No. 7 Saint Joseph’s and No. 10 Rhode Island in the quarterfinals on Friday at 3:30 p.m. CT. Fans can follow the action via SLUBillikens.com and Atlantic10.com.

Stone said the program’s goal is to play in a postseason event, but its ultimate goal is to punch a ticket to the NCAA Tournament. Three straight victories in Richmond would put Saint Louis in the field of 64. A loss this week would put the program’s fate in the hands of committee members from the NCAA and WNIT.

“We have gotten better each year and are finally breaking through,” Stone added. “The expectations have been raised, and that’s OK. We have a lot to build on, and the future of this program is bright. It’s an exciting time to be a Billiken. Our student-athletes are a joy to work with. I just love being around them.”

I heard on the radio last night they said we just got a commitment from a big time player. Anyone know anything about that?

I was told the weekend of the Dayton home game, they received a commitment from a player from Louisville. I was told that she is Jacie Kempf quality, but a little taller.