UNLV fires head coach mid-season

bills16

why? It looks like he brings in top tier talent but can't coach it. Could he bring the same level players to SLU that he has to UNLV? I doubt it. If he can't win with great talent what will he do with good talent?

Tongue in cheek. My only rationale is that he isn't Jim Crews.

Reports indicated it was done midseason because the UNLV boosters pushed for it. That's how it would have to happen here. The next six games, there are only three games we could possibly win (not likely) - Mason and Duquesne twice. If we win only one of our next six, I hope they make the change by the start of February. Go ahead and make CC the interim head coach. Let him get some experience for his next job (either as head coach as some place like IUPUI or as a Big 10 assistant). Gives the players a fresh start for the reminder of the season. I would tell CC to play Bishop and Nuefeld so the next coach can evaluate them. Reduce Ash's minutes since as a senior he is on his way out and don't play Jolly. Making the change during the season gives us a jump on the rebuild. It shows that our program is serious about winning and we can get a head start on evaluating a permanent replacement. You never know, there could be some coaches who express interest in the job that could surprise. It should be a good job. Because the current situation is rock bottom, a new coach would be given plenty of time to build from scratch, yet on court success wasn't that long ago - what RM did shows that you can win big here. Plus, the next coach will not be following a legend in RM, they will be following JC... much easier.

Reports indicated it was done midseason because the UNLV boosters pushed for it. That's how it would have to happen here. The next six games, there are only three games we could possibly win (not likely) - Mason and Duquesne twice. If we win only one of our next six, I hope they make the change by the start of February. Go ahead and make CC the interim head coach. Let him get some experience for his next job (either as head coach as some place like IUPUI or as a Big 10 assistant). Gives the players a fresh start for the reminder of the season. I would tell CC to play Bishop and Nuefeld so the next coach can evaluate them. Reduce Ash's minutes since as a senior he is on his way out and don't play Jolly. Making the change during the season gives us a jump on the rebuild. It shows that our program is serious about winning and we can get a head start on evaluating a permanent replacement. You never know, there could be some coaches who express interest in the job that could surprise. It should be a good job. Because the current situation is rock bottom, a new coach would be given plenty of time to build from scratch, yet on court success wasn't that long ago - what RM did shows that you can win big here. Plus, the next coach will not be following a legend in RM, they will be following JC... much easier.

If DB and TB scouted GW. Whoever scouted VCU screwed the pooch and the numbers game says it was probably Calbert...

Why should Calvert get a head coaching job or major assistant job anywhere? What has he done to deserve a promotion like this? I have no idea why some think Calvert is some young hotshot rising star coach.

Amen, barely even see him saying anything on the bench.

Why should Calvert get a head coaching job or major assistant job anywhere? What has he done to deserve a promotion like this? I have no idea why some think Calvert is some young hotshot rising star coach.

I agree, but I'm convinced that there is some kind of Indiana basketball mafia. It seems that if you are well connected to Bobby Knight and were part of something good, you're set for life. They probably think that Crews is a good basketball coach. If one of the lower level head coaching jobs in Indiana (IUPUI or IPFW) open up I really wouldn't be surprised if he was a candidate, just because he's Calbert Cheaney.

In spite of the last paragraph, I actually do like the state of Indiana. Fine place.

I frankly don't really care all that much who the interim would be for a month, just more interested in having JC gone by the end of January if we only win one of our next six. Regarding Waldo, CC has already been considered for a head coaching job... he was one of two finalists at IUPUI two years ago.

With the exception of Crews just snapping and doing something that gets him in trouble in the public, I think the chance of him getting straight up fired during the season are almost zero. Maybe he'll announce that he's retiring at some point, but that's probably it.

Part of it is that due to the Rams potential move taking up so much of the sportswriting and sports talk radio time, this shambles of a season isn't getting any attention locally. In a different time, maybe with different writers, this would be a bigger deal. Allegedly Benjamin Hochman will write something after the Rams stuff shakes out. I look forward to that, because the athletic department doesn't like it when things come out that make them look bad.

I frankly don't really care all that much who the interim would be for a month, just more interested in having JC gone by the end of January if we only win one of our next six. Regarding Waldo, CC has already been considered for a head coaching job... he was one of two finalists at IUPUI two years ago.

A lot has changed in the past couple years so he can likely kiss those chances at better jobs goodbye.

I agree with you that SLU's job should be attractive to low major head coaches. A big increase in pay, recent success in the NCAAs, a beautiful arena in a major city, a multi bid conference, a lot of games on TV, not having to travel everywhere as a buy team anymore.