Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin has 2 NCAA's in 8 years. I wouldn't call him the best young coach in the game. Assuming he's cleared of any wrongdoing with this sexual assault case and that we can have him for more than 5 years, I'd be happy with the hire. But I'm not so sure it's as much of a slam dunk as most on this board think.

From everything I've read Martin will be fine. To be clear, all Martin is being "accused" of is not reporting that a reporter told him via a phone call that his assistant coach was coming on to her and he didn't report it to the authorities. It's total he said she said. Once he received an e-mail detailing the issues he forwarded it on the authorities. Here is how the e-mail starts:

"I only briefly touched upon the extent of his harassment of me in our two conversations. You told me that you take this very seriously, and that you were hoping it was just an isolated incident. I should have been clear at the time ... this was not an isolated incident. Conversely, [Hufnagel]'s harassment of me spanned a period of months, since last October, until about a month and a half ago, when we first spoke about it."

In her own words, she only briefly touched upon the extent of his harassment.

He'll be fine.

He will be fine. That said, if you are Dr. P or any other person running a university do you want to answer questions about sexual harassment when you announce a high profile hire that you hope paints the school in a good light? I think Martin stays at Cal, because people don't want to deal with that.

Here is your original post.

Rumor has it, we've got a deal but can't announce it until after the finals. RUMOR being the key word. The majority of posters seem to be high on Stallings, but supposedly that ain't happening. Plus, Vandy hasn't fired him and why would they? ESPN thinks they could be a final four team next year. Next in line in terms of likes on here is Cuonzo Martin. Again, Cal hasn't canned him but there is that AC charged w/ sexual harassment.

May has said we're going after a HC. Who that is is anyone's guess.

I haven't seen any other poster suggest there is a rumor that we have a deal but can't announce it. I was stunned when two days later you asked who started the rumor.

You did!

Here is your original post.

I haven't seen any other poster suggest there is a rumor that we have a deal but can't announce it. I was stunned when two days later you asked who started the rumor.

You did!

-NH hacked into his account to make that post

It has been very quiet on the coaching front. The only thing we know for sure is that they were in touch with Stallings. It could be because a deal is done with a coach that is still coaching or if it is Martin, they would be waiting for him to be fully cleared from Cal. No way they would announce that while he was being investigated to make sure he followed procedures because then it looks like he is changing jobs to avoid trouble.

Stu tweeted the quote from the press conference which does make me curious where he says, "Well for me, I'm fine. My situation will be what I determine it will be, so I am fine."