Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain why Martin is their top choice? His record doesn't seem that impressive.

He recruits very well, which is his biggest draw. He has connections all over the country. His game coaching is decent enough. If he could recruit here like he did at Cal, we would be near the top of the A-10 every year.

Let's not get carried away, SLU is not Yale, the problem with JUCO's is the transfer requirements. Read: No pe major at SLU.....rigor of academics is a different issue and Hines seems to be doing just fine.

Unfortunately they students without a good academic background who go to a JUCO, do not start a chemistry or biology major....they tend to do PE.

We do not need to put down other schools to make ourselves feel better.....

The PE major stuff is an antiquated excuse. The NCAA has a limit on the number of PE courses a Juco can bring in anywhere. Any Juco that is used to placing guys at 4 year schools puts their kids in legitimate majors. I've even seen Bio majors coming from Juco schools, though most are communications, criminal justice or business.

Where SLU has a disadvantage is the core course requirements, particulatly theology and philosophy classes, that aren't even offered at Jucos (or public schools if they are a 4-4 transfer). That increases the number of credits needed for graduation and may prevent them from hitting their progress towards degree percentages upon enrollment. Granted it's easier to get a 4-4 to SLU since they have to sit a year anyway and dint need to have PTD to practice do they can load up to get eligible over 2 summers and 2 semesters.

Edited by Billiken Law

Can someone explain why Martin is their top choice? His record doesn't seem that impressive.

His record at three schools is about .600. He hasn't been able to stay anywhere long enough to really develop a team. It may seem like a bad thing that he has been in three schools in six years , but it also shows that he's not a one hit wonder. He is a St. Louis guy, with an incentive to stay here long term. He might be the best young coaching the game: recruits and coaches well.

His record at three schools is about .600. He hasn't been able to stay anywhere long enough to really develop a team. It may seem like a bad thing that he has been in three schools in six years , but it also shows that he's not a one hit wonder. He is a St. Louis guy, with an incentive to stay here long term. He might be the best young coaching the game: recruits and coaches well.

We're going to have to take a risk to build long term success and I'm willing to gamble that Martin will stick around. martin won't lose here.

Jacobsen's contact situation is not the problem. Come back to reality. He's not going from a successful program at a mid major conference to a rebuild situation at another (only slightly better)mid major.

This is what drives me crazy about this board. We will make the best hire we can make, but this kind of talk will make some people say "really that's all we could do?" Stop talking about guys we can't get.

Jacobsen's contact situation is not the problem. Come back to reality. He's not going from a successful program at a mid major conference to a rebuild situation at another (only slightly better)mid major.

This is what drives me crazy about this board. We will make the best hire we can make, but this kind of talk will make some people say "really that's all we could do?" Stop talking about guys we can't get.

+1 This board gets crazier and crazier by the minute

Everyone has a price.

Yesssssssssssss.

I haven't considered Jacobsen to be a realistic chance for a while, so I won't be complaining when he doesn't come here. That said, if the reasons you gave make it very unlikely he'd come here, the $4-6 million investment we'd have to make this year is probably the nail in the coffin.

I haven't considered Jacobsen to be a realistic chance for a while, so I won't be complaining when he doesn't come here. That said, if the reasons you gave make it very unlikely he'd come here, the $4-6 million investment we'd have to make this year is probably the nail in the coffin.

I been in the no chance of Jacobsen camp all along, but it is fun to dream for just a moment.

Martin has 2 NCAA's in 8 years. I wouldn't call him the best young coach in the game. Assuming he's cleared of any wrongdoing with this sexual assault case and that we can have him for more than 5 years, I'd be happy with the hire. But I'm not so sure it's as much of a slam dunk as most on this board think.