Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of "what ifs" here with Valpo's (failed) NIT run

Said a fan of an 11-21 Saint Louis University squad that couldn't qualify for the Women's CBI. I'd be thrilled to get to the finals of the NIT.

So I guess the religion thiing was a non-factor this whole time

It very well might have been. But FWIW, there is no shortage of religious institutions in Nashville and the surrounding area I would say is a relatively religious/protestant part of the country. But overall I agree with those speculating that money/location was the ultimately deciding factor.

Current Head Coaches - Moving Down?

Travis Ford - Current HC at Oklahoma State. He has compiled a .611 winning percentage at OkSt, but has been mediocre enough to get the fan base against him. Has gone to the NCAA 5/7 years there but only has 1 win, in his first year. Formerly the HC at UMass.

Isn't Vanderbilt the obvious choice there?

ACC vs. SEC. I can see a coach saying that the ACC is the league to be in. Kids obviously want to play in the ACC. Seven ACC teams made the Sweet 16 this year. Only one SEC team made it. I wouldn't say that Vanderbilt is the obvious choice.

Also, this is another indication that Drew never intended to come to SLU. He has a choice between two decent positions. One an ACC school and the other an SEC school. We were never in the mix. I think we were waiting to hear an official "No" from him while the NIT was going on. His people probably dragged it out to keep his name swirling in the media around openings so that they could chum the water for the job he wanted to take (a BCS school job). His people knew something would open up and it did. He probably could have been in the mix for Pitt as well.

ACC vs. SEC. I can see a coach saying that the ACC is the league to be in. Kids obviously want to play in the ACC. Seven ACC teams made the Sweet 16 this year. Only one SEC team made it. I wouldn't say that Vanderbilt is the obvious choice.

Yeah a conference is great and all, but GT has historically been one of the worst members of the ACC before and after expansion. They last had any sustained success in the late 80s. Vandy has an easier path to the top of a power conference and has had a pretty decent level of success over the last decade as compared to GT.

Yeah a conference is great and all, but GT has historically been one of the worst members of the ACC before and after expansion. They last had any sustained success in the late 80s. Vandy has an easier path to the top of a power conference and has had a pretty decent level of success over the last decade as compared to GT.

But what kids see is successful NBAers - Chris Bosh, Jarrett Jack. What kind of success has Vandy had that way? Festus Ezeli?

But what kids see is successful NBAers - Chris Bosh, Jarrett Jack. What kind of success has Vandy had that way? Festus Ezeli?

Damian Jones will be in the NBA next year

John Jenkins plays for ATL

Kevin Stallings chose the ACC over the SEC, but then again, maybe he got out before he was going to get canned. ACC is a much better league, so more bids, but on the other hand tougher competition to get a bid. GT and Vandy are each at disadvantages to their conference rivals, but a really good coach can overcome it. Brian Gregory clearly didn't fit that description.

Also, Nashville traffic > Atlanta traffic. I just got back from Atlanta this morning and Jesus H. Christ, their traffic is horrendous. Inside the perimeter, outside the perimeter, makes no difference. Makes 64/40 look like a Sunday stroll.

Nashville is a great city, but it is starting to lose some of its charm. The traffic is just one of the problems with the area adding almost 500,000 people in 15 years.

True...when we moved from Franklin, TN back in 1991, it was literally a one stoplight town. Now that whole Cool Springs/Franklin area is expanding at a massive rate. However, there are pockets of old charm throughout metro Nashville. The Hermitage, downtown Franklin, Music Row/Belmont is still a great spot with beautiful architecture.

Bobby Cremins had some nice years at GT. His players included Marbury, Barry, Jason Collier, Kenny Anderson, etc.. Several Sweet 16s and a Final 4. Most of those were in the 90s. Even Paul Hewitt had GT as a NCAA Finalist in 03-4.

I been over the years to several GT games, it's like they hope the next Bobby Cremins will come along. I told my neighbor/golf partner-GT alum, 5 years ago "don't expect Gregory to be your next Bobby C". Drew made a good decision going to Vandy, I think the bar is higher and the fans/media will be more forgiving.

I think 2003-2004 was the year we played GT (in the Hawks arena) down in Atlanta. I remember thinking Jarrett Jack was one of the strongest, toughest college guards I'd ever seen. I also remember Ismail Muhammad dunking from damn near the free throw line early in the second half. We were down 2 at halftime (they were #2 in the nation at the time) and then the 'third quarter' was a disastrous stretch when they pulled away. Muhammad's dunk was during that stretch.

Chris Bosh also was a Hewitt player.

But today's recruits aren't going to remember these guys as college players. They know them only as NBA players.